A Programme of DSERT, Karnataka
(Initiated in collaboration with Regional Institute of Education, Mysore)
ಪ್ರಾದೇಶಿಕ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ. RIE Mysore
is a constituent of the NCERT, New Delhi and it is concerned with the school and teacher education in Southern India. Click here to visit RIE Mysore. 
ರಾಜ್ಯ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಸಂಶೋಧನೆ ಮತ್ತು ತರಬೇತಿ ನಿರ್ದೇಶನಾಲಯDSERT, Bangalore
is the apex body dealing with school and teacher education in the South Indian state of Karnataka
. Click here to visit DSERT, Bangalore. 
DIET ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
ACTION RESEARCH AND RESEARCH IN GENERAL
GENERAL TOPICS FOR AWARENESS
Self Check & Evaluation ಅವಲೋಕನ ಹಾಗೂ ಮೌಲ್ಯಮಾಪನ
Web Resources ವೆಬ್ ಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲಗಳು
Book Shelf ಪುಸ್ತಕ ಭಂಡಾರ
The Online Facilitators ಆನ್ ಲೈನ್ ಅನುಕೂಲಕಾರರು
The Onsite Facilitators ಸ್ಥಳೀಯ ಅನುಕೂಲಕಾರರು
Photo Album ಫೋಟೋ ಆಲ್ಬಮ್
Induction Programme Archives
Click here to read a paper on this project presented at the National Seminar on Innovative Practices in Distance Education, DEP-SSA, IGNOU, New Delhi, 13-15, march, 2009[]
Click here to read another paper on this project presented at the National Seminar on Professional Development of Teacher Educators held at RIE, Mysore from 23-25 Aug 2011[]
DOUBLE CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE PRAYER WRITTEN BY RABINDRANATH TAGORE
Where The Mind is Without Fear
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake
[[Image:|thumb|right|Director DSERT Bangalore]]ಡಯಟ್ ಉಪನ್ಯಾಸಕರಿಗಾಗಿ ಡಿ ಎಸ್ ಇ ಆರ್ ಟಿ ನಡೆಸುತ್ತಿರುವ ವೆಬ್ ಆಧಾರಿತ ಬುನಾದಿ ತರಬೇತಿ ದೇಶದಲ್ಲಿಯೇ ಒಂದು ವಿಶಿಷ್ಠ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮವಾಗಿದೆ. ಸದಾ ವಿವಿಧ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ತೊಡಗಿಕೊಂಡಿರುವ ಡಯಟ್ ಉಪನ್ಯಾಸಕರಿಗೆ ಅವರಿರುವ ಸ್ಥಳಗಳಲ್ಲಿಯೇ ವೃತ್ತಿಪರ ಬೆಳವಣಿಗೆ ಸಾಧಿಸಲು ಅಗತ್ಯ ಬೆಂಬಲ ನೀಡುವುದು ಇದರ ಮುಖ್ಯ ಉದ್ದೇಶ. ಇದರೊಂದಿಗೆ ಡಯಟ್ ಗೆ ವರ್ಗಾವಣೆಯಾಗಿ ಬರುವವರಿಗೆ ಡಯಟ್ ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಅವರು ನಿರ್ವಹಿಸಬೇಕಾದ ಕರ್ತವ್ಯಗಳ ಕುರಿತು ಅರಿವು ಬೆಳೆಸುವುದು ಇನ್ನೊಂದು ಕಾಳಜಿ. ಡಯಟ್ ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ವೃತ್ತಿಪರ ಬೆಳವಣಿಗೆಯ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಗಳು ಅಪಾರ. ಈ ತರಬೇತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪೂರ್ಣಪ್ರಮಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ತೊಡಗಿಕೊಂಡವರಿಗೆ ಡಯಟ್ ಉಪನ್ಯಾಸಕರ ಎದುರಿರುವ ವೃತ್ತೀಯ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಗಳು ಅನಾವರಣಗೊಳ್ಳುವುದರಲ್ಲಿ ಸಂಶಯವೇ ಇಲ್ಲ. ಅಂತಹ ಎಲ್ಲ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಗಳನ್ನೂ ನಿಮಗೆ ಈ ತರಬೇತಿಯ ಅವಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪರಿಶೀಲಿಸಲು ಸಾಧ್ಯವಾಗಲಿ. ನಿಮ್ಮ ಈ ತೊಡಗಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳುವಿಕೆ ಹಾಗೂ ವೃತ್ತಿಪರ ಬೆಳವಣಿಗೆ ಅಂತಿಮವಾಗಿ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ಶಾಲಾ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಗುಣಾತ್ಮಕ ಬದಲಾವಣೆ ತರಲು ಕಾರಣವಾಗಲಿ ಎಂದು ಹಾರೈಸುತ್ತೇನೆ. ಈ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದ ಎಲ್ಲ ಸಹಭಾಗಿಗಳಿಗೂ ನನ್ನ ಅಭಿನಂದನೆಗಳು.}}
The Department of State Educational Reserach and Training (DSERT) being an apex academic institute has taken up the responsibility of training the Departmental personnel at all levels. *The District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) discharge similar functions at the *district level, exclusively for the promotion of elementary education. The department planned and tried out a Training package in the year 1997-98. Smt. Gayathri Devi Dutt and her colleagues did this. A package titled as “Teachers Trainer” was developed and printed for the purpose.
A second effort at designing an Induction Programme was made by the Policy Planning Unit of the DSERT by Shri H. B. Chandrashekhar in the year 2005-06, where some relevent and important changes to the earlier programme were envisaged. A document titled Bunaadi was brought out as a result of this effort.
In the meanwhile, several changes in functions and role expectations of DIET faculty, such as extensive use of Information and Communication Technology in Elementary Education, prompted the need for a revision in the induction programme. Also, the contents of the package, though relevant, needed updating and revision.
It was in this background that the Regional Institute of Education(RIE), Mysore, which is a constituent of the National Council of Educational Research and Training(NCERT), New Delhi and the DSERT, Bangalore undertook this joint venture of redesigning an induction programme for the teacher educators working in the District Institutes of Education and Training.
This effort was conceptualized and coordinated by Prof. Vasant D. Bhat of Regional Institute of Education and the peer team consisted of Dr. S.P. Kulkarni and Dr. Asha KVD Kamat of RIE Mysore; Prof. H.M. Kashinath, Karnatak University, Dharwad; Prof. E. R. Ekbote, Gulbarga University; Prof.M.S.Talawar,Bangalore university ; Dr.S. Bhaskar, IASE, Bangalore, Shri Niranjan Das, Vijaya Teachers' College, Bangalore; Mrs. Manjula R and Mrs. Malathi B S, DSERT, Bangalore; Dr. H. Kumaraswamy, Mr. T K Raghavendra, Mr. M A Mulla, Mr. K Rathnaiah and Mr.G.V.Hariprasad who are faculty members in different DIETs in Karnataka.
Prof. G. T. Bhandage,, who was the Principal, RIE Mysore and Shri. M. N. Baig,, who was the Director, DSERT provided valuable guidance in this joint venture.
At present DSERT, Bengaluru is running the programme with the assistance of a team of online facilitators who are from DIETs in Karnataka.
What is an Induction Programme?
In-service teacher education programmes are of various kinds. Induction programme, Orientation programme, Refresher programme, etc. An induction programme is that programme which provides inputs necessary for a person to start performing certain functions expected of him/her. It may have awareness inputs, attitudinal inputs and competency development inputs.The induction programme for DIET faculty, therefore, would provide inputs necessary for a person to perform functions expected of him/her in a DIET.
Why Induction Programme?
District Institutes of Education and Training (DIET) are the district level institutions with four key functions namely, Preservice Teacher Education, Inservice Teacher Education, Research and Evaluation, and Documentation. A newly recruited teacher educator in DIET ,and the faculty members who are coming by transfer,and deputation needs to be inducted into these functions which are not a part of the teacher education curriculum. Each of the States in the southern India is in need of a training design with inputs/experiences to be provided to the newly recruited teacher educators. It is possible to form a project group of State level functionaries/Senior DIET faculty to articulate a programme of induction and prepare content which would then be forming different modules for the programme.
Our Vision of Induction
The DSERT, Bangalore has conducted induction programmes for DIET faculty earlier and a printed package also is available.* We visualise that the present programme is a revised and updated version of the earlier programme. *Hence, inputs in the earlier package which are useful and appropriate are retained in this version as well.
As stated above, an induction programme provides inputs necessary for a person to start performing certain functions expected of him/her. It may have awareness inputs, attitudinal inputs and competency development inputs. In this programme also all these outcomes are thought of. Much of the knowledge base and awareness building is done at the respective places of work of a DIET faculty without disturbing the regular functioning of the DIET. In our view, a training programme should least disturb a person from his/her work place. Even if bringing him to a training venue is necessary for skill and competency development aspects of the programme, it should be of a short duration and should happen only to the extent necessary.
Secondly, the programme could provide those essential inputs from which the participants could build and contextualise according to their work conditions.
Thirdly, it is believed that a vast body of knowledge is already available on the internet and they should be used properly to provide scope and direction for those lecturers who wish to specialise in an area or learn more than commonly expected.
How Facilitation and Interaction Occurs in the Induction Programme
Click here to Enlarge Facilitation and Interactions in the Induction Programme
The web based induction programme envisages three kinds of interactions as represented in the diagram. DSERT which is the nodal agency for the programme would provide initial orientation, provide systemic support and undertake evaluation. The programme would have both Onsite Facilitators and Online Facilitators. The Principals of concerned DIETs would be the Onsite Facilitators and the Peer Team which articulated and developed this programme would act as Online Facilitators. The Onsite Facilitators would provide systemic support at the institutional level and undertake monitoring. Whereas, the Online Facilitators would provide continous support on learning and monitor progress of the enrolled DIET faculty.
Who Needs Induction?
An Induction Programme is needed for a person who is new to a nature of work. For example, a lecturer of DIET needs induction training if he has never worked in a DIET, is newly appointed and is not having a previous experience of performing those functions expected of a DIET faculty member. In a way it is an initiation .
Even though an induction programme is provided to a DIET faculty who is new to the DIET, a faculty member on transfer or promotion from some other level or sector may also benefit from induction training. In other words, it is not the age alone or recency of recruitment which decides who needs an induction programme.
What to do in a DIET? is a perennial question before each one in the hierarchy of the department. The authorities confront this question while deciding placements and also while monitoring the performance of the institution. The DIET faculties, placed in their new role, are not clear about the role expectations from them. Hence, it is felt that they have not been able to discharge their duties in a satisfactory manner. Besides, they have been unable to develop the convictions needed of a trainer.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PACKAGE?
The Aim of the Programme is|
- To create an ICT platform to help the DIET faculty in shaping up oneself continuously as a Resource Person.
The Objectives of the Programme are
- To understand DIET as an academic institution and the challenges before it.
- To develop an appreciation for role of the DIET faculty as a trainer.
- To locate and use ICT for enrichment and effective functioning as a DIET faculty.
- To enhance functional capabilities as a DIET faculty.
WHAT IS THE CONTENT?
The training package looks at the functions and responsibilities of a DIET faculty in relation to the state of primary education. Thus all the areas that make a DIET faculty a trainer and a researcher have been addressed. The content could be classified into five broad areas.
AREAS COVERED IN THE INDUCTION PACKAGE
- DIET Roles and Functions
- Trainer Skills
- Research and Reflective practices
- General Topics for awareness
HOW TO PROCEED?
- The staff member of DIET is required to register online as well as by post by filling the REGISTRATION FORMAT enclosed.
- The DSERT would organise an orientation programme to the participants on the training package, procedures to be followed, etc.
- Upon receiving confirmation, the faculty is required to work online with the material, preferably area by area, and complete the activities/ tasks as per instructions provided.
- Each section has a suggested time for completion. Even though you are free to proceed at your own pace, the time frame may be kept in mind for maintaining efficiency and for enabling face-to-face programme to be scheduled.
- Reading material, supplementary material for classroom transaction have been prepared and incorporated in the training package.
- Training is conducted both online and face-to-face. However, teleconferencing could be incorporated for review of progress and redressing difficulties faced by the trainees in completing the online component.
- The respective DIET Principals have to facilitate the completion of online component by providing Internet facilities and administrative clearance for undertaking various activities envisaged in the package.
- The assignments and activities completed have to be communicated online, through e-mail to your online facilitator with a copy marked to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Since you would be opening the site daily, add the site address to Favourists List of the Internet Explorer of your computer for opening the pages quickly.
Some Features You May Like to Know
- The programme inputs of this web based induction programme consists of (1) Primary texts, pdf file attachments and AV clippings developed by the online facilitators, (2) Pages from relevent internet sites under different sections, (3) Video clippings on different topics and for different training objectives, (4) All assignments are also provided under 'Self Check and Evaluation' on the main page, (5) The Book Shelf has a collection of relevent material and also consists of four activities to be accomplished by you during the training, (6) Web Resources provides you with connections to internet sites which could help you as a DIET faculty, (7) You can get to know about the online facilitators and their e-mail ID by opening online facilitators on main page
- At the end of every page is a navigation help that allows you to go to any section of the package without having to go to the main page. You would need this help when you want to parallally refer to more than one section of the package.This is how the navigation help looks like:
WHAT IS THE TIME ALLOCATION?
The rigidity of timings is relaxed, prioritizing the process part of the training. However, suggestions are made for completing an activity in a time frame. This has been done keeping in mind the fact that the faculty of DIET is also engaged in certain routine activities of the institute while receiving the training inputs. Hence, they may be liberal for those who are having relatively less work load, access to Internet beyond office hours and well versed with the online work and computer use. You would be required to work with the following instructions and time frame in mind:
- ತರಬೇತಿಗೆ ಬರುವಾಗ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ಶೈಕ್ಷಣಿಕ ಅಂಕಿ ಅಂಶಗಳನ್ನು ತರುವುದು.
- ತರಬೇತಿಗೆ ಬರುವಾಗ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ಶೈಕ್ಷಣಿಕ ಮೇಲ್ವಿಚಾರಣಾ ಅಧಿಕಾರಿಗಳ ಹೆಸರು ಮತ್ತು ದೂರವಾಣಿ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆಗಳನ್ನು ತರುವುದು.
- ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡ ಭಾಷೆಯನ್ನು ಬಳಸಿ ಮಾಡುವಾಗ ಯುನಿಕೋಡ ಫಾಂಟನ್ನು ಮಾತ್ರ ಬಳಸುವುದು.
- ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ನಿಮಗೆ ಅದಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ನಿಗದಿ ಪಡಿಸಿದ ಆನಲೈನ ಅನುಕೂಲಕಾರರಿಗೆ ಕಳುಹಿಸುವುದು.
- ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಮಾಡುವಾಗ ನಿಮ್ಮಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ನೈಜ ಅಂಕಿ ಅಂಶಗಳನ್ನು ಮಾತ್ರ ಬಳಸುವುದು.
- ಪ್ರತಿ ಅಧ್ಯಾಯದ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳು ಖಡ್ಡಾಯವಾಗಿದ್ದು ಇದನ್ನು ನಿಗದಿತ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳಿಸಿ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಬೇಕು.ಇಲ್ಲದಿದ್ದಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ಸಂಬಂಧ ವಿತರಿಸಿದ ಟಿ ಎ ಡಿ ಎ ಗಳನ್ನು ಹಿಂಪಡೆಯಲಾಗುವುದು.
- ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ನಿಗದಿತ ಸಮಯದ ಒಳಗೆ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳಿಸದಿದ್ದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾರ್ಯನಿರ್ವಹಣಾ ವರದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ದಾಖಲಿಸಲಾಗುವುದು.
- ಅಂತಿಮ ಕಾರ್ಯಾಗಾರಕ್ಕೆ ಬರುವ ಸಂದರ್ಭದಲ್ಲಿ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳಿಸಿದ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳ ಮುದ್ರಿತ ಪ್ರತಿಯನ್ನು ತರುವುದು(ಸ್ಪೈರಲ್ ಬೈಂಡ/ಸಾದಾ ಬೈಂಡ್)
- ಡಯಟನಲ್ಲಿ ನಿಮ್ಮದೇ ಆದ ವೇಳಾ ಪಟ್ಟಿಯನ್ನು ತಯಾರಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು ತರಬೇತಿಯ ಚಟುವಟಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ನಿರ್ವಹಿಸುವುದು.
- ಪ್ರತಿ ಮುಖಾ ಮುಖಿ ತರಬೇತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಅಧ್ಯಾಯವಾರು ಆನ್-ಲೈನ್ ಮೌಲ್ಯಮಾಪನ ಮಾಡಲಾಗುವುದು.
- ಪ್ರತಿ ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯವು ಮೌಲ್ಯಾಮಾಪನದ ಭಾಗವಾಗಿದ್ದು ಸಮಯಕ್ಕೆ ಸರಿಯಾದ ಸಲ್ಲಿಕೆ ಹಾಗೂ ಕಾರ್ಯನಿರ್ವಹಣೆಯ ಗುಣಮಟ್ಟವನ್ನು ಆಧರಿಸಿ ಗ್ರೇಡ ನೀಡಲಾಗುವುದು.
- ಅಂತಿಮ ಕಾರ್ಯಾಗಾರದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾರ್ಯನಿರ್ವಹಣಾ ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆಯನ್ನು ನಡೆಸಿ ಗ್ರೇಡ ನೀಡಲಾಗುವುದು.
- ಆನ್-ಲೈನ್ ಮೌಲ್ಯಮಾಪನ ,ನಿಯೋಜಿತ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳು ಹಾಗೂ ಕಾರ್ಯನಿರ್ವಹಣಾ ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆಗಳನ್ನು ಆಧರಿಸಿ ಒಟ್ಟಾರೆ ಗ್ರೇಡ ನೀಡಲಾಗುವುದು.ಯಶಸ್ವಿ ಶಿಭಿರಾರ್ಥಿಗಳಿಗೆ ಪ್ರಮಾಣ ಪತ್ರಗಳನ್ನು ವಿತರಿಸಲಾಗುವುದು.
Click the link to view Time Table for Face to face workshop.(3 Phases)[]
Time Frame for the Web Based Induction Programme for the year 2015- 2016
| AREA OF TRAINING
|| CHAPTERS COVERED
|| NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS
|| SUGGESTED DATES FOR COMPLETION
|| e media, FOSS/Edubuntu Public Software, Power Point Presentation/odp, Documentation of data in Tables/Files, Use of e-Mail, Locating Resources on the Internet/Web browsing, Use of computers for audio- video CDs/Dvds, Creating Forms, Handling Hardware, Using Multimedia/LCD Projector/MFD, Analyzing Data, Creating Educational Programs, ICT in Education
|| July 30, 2015
| DIET ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
|| Functions of DIETS, Competencies of DIET Functionaries, Linkages-Academic, Linkages-Administrative, Linkages-Non Governmental Organisations
|| August 30, 2015
| TRAINER SKILLS
|| Role Expectations from a Trainer, Communication Skills, Management Skills, Transaction Skills, Evaluation Skills
|| September 30, 2015
| RESEARCH & ACTION RESEARCH
|| General Orientation to Research, Action Research in relation to Other Types of Research, The Procedure of Action Research, A Review of Efforts done so far, Reporting and Documentation of Research, Appraisal of Research, Supporting Action Research at the School Level
|| November 15, 2015
|| Planning, Budgeting, Auditing
|| November 30, 2015
| GENERAL TOPICS FOR AWARENESS
|| Rights of the Child, UEE and ELL, Gender Equity, Inclusive Education, Critical Pedagogy, Constructivism, Multi-Grade/Multi Level Teaching, State and Central Schemes, National Policies, Right to Information, Citizen's Charter, Dealing with Legal Matters, Alternative Schooling, NGO Initiatives in Education in Karnataka, Karnataka Education Act, Education for Sustainable Development
|| January 15, 2016
| FROM THE BOOK SHELF
|| Book Review, Case Study of Innovative Teachers, Shikshana Varthe, Study of Circulars
|| 25th of August, September, October, November, 2015
| END OF TRAINING EVALUATION
|| Post Evaluation on All Areas
|| Report of Onsite Facilitator, Online Facilitator, Observation during Face to Face Programmes, Performance in Teleconference and a Post Test
|| First week February 2016
The programme consists of four teleconferences to be held in July, August, September and October to help you seek clarifications and for exchange of feedback between you, the facilitators and the DSERT. Each of the teleconferences would specifically focus on the area to be covered in the next month.
WHO ARE THE USERS?
- The Training package, though initially being used by DSERT, in future it can also be used by any institute such as, SCERTs of other states, RIEM, ATI Mysore, IASEs and others who propose to train the DIET faculty.
- The package aims to cover several areas of training such as e-media and trainer skills, which are general in nature and therefore can be adapted by any training institute.
- The training package, though tested, welcomes enrichment in course of time. One of the ways of attaining this is evaluating the course each time it is run.
You may begin your journey through this induction programme. Do not hesitate to contact us at the e-mail addresses below, if you need any help or if you wish to communicate with us for any other purpose.
[]You may know the mail IDs and mobile numbers of the fifth batch participants of the Induction Programme by clicking here
| THE e-MAIL IDs OF ONLINE FACILITATORS FOR COMMUNICATION: