VirtualMV/Internet and Web/Web Conferencing
|Internet and Web|
|Theory||Introduction | What is HTML? | Client Server ecosystem | Glossary | History and Future | How the Internet works | Types of Website | Markup Languages | Interactive Websites ||
|Web Tools||Web Browsers | Search Engines (SEO Optimization) | World Wide Web (Hypertext and Page) | Cookies | Email | Discussion Forums | FTP | (SSH, IRC)|
|Technologies||Connecting | Broadband | Mobile | Web Conferencing | Intranets, Extranets, Tunneling | Gateway Servers ||
|Issues||Security | Legal (Privacy, Confidentiality, Integrity) | Copyright and Fairdealing | Accessibility | Culture and Netiquette ||
|Web Site Development||Planning ( Types | For Mobile) | Development (Design Components | Graphic Design) | Programming | Hosting | Marketing and Promotion | Advertising | Business Intelligence | Monitoring and Maintenance (Performance Tuning)|
|Web Site Management||Roles | Management | User Expectations | Content Management | Site Maintenance | Policies and Guidelines | Promotion | Risk Management|
By the end of this page you will be able to:
There are many Internet Protocol (IP) based teleconferencing systems
Wikipedia (2009a) has a count of the number of users
Microsoft Live Messenger
- Includes text chat, video conferencing and interactive whiteboard.
- Users: 300 million (May, 2008)
- URL: http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger
- References: (Wikipedia, 2009b)
Skype ( http://www.skype.com )
- More than 276 million users (Jan, 2009)is a leader in videoconferencing.
- Users: 309 million (May 2008)
Gmail video and Voice ( http://mail.google.com/videochat )
- Introduced November 2008 the video and voice capabilities are embedd into Gmail
Dimdim ( http://www.dimdim.com )
- Enables users to deliver synchronised live presentations, white boards and web pages accompanied by voice and video. Runs in a web browser and uses Open Source Software. Also has a Dimdim Virtual Classroom Pack for educational customers.
Has restricted functionality for users. The one I participated in had voice only and no idea of who was online or stats to help create a sense of class.
Panopto ( http://www.panopto.com/ )
There are services that create videos online
- Examples: http://animoto.com, http://www.jumpcut.com, http://www.toufee.com, and http://www.digitalfilms.com
- Wikipedia(2009a) Instant messaging - User base. Retrieved March 23, 2009 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_messaging#User_base
- Wikipedia(2009b) Windows Live Messenger. Retrieved March 23, 2009 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Messenger