VirtualMV/Internet and Web/Content Management
|Internet and Web|
|Theory||Introduction | What is HTML? | Client Server ecosystem | Glossary | History and Future | How the Internet works | Types of Website | Markup Languages | Interactive Websites ||
|Web Tools||Web Browsers | Search Engines (SEO Optimization) | World Wide Web (Hypertext and Page) | Cookies | Email | Discussion Forums | FTP | (SSH, IRC)|
|Technologies||Connecting | Broadband | Mobile | Web Conferencing | Intranets, Extranets, Tunneling | Gateway Servers ||
|Issues||Security | Legal (Privacy, Confidentiality, Integrity) | Copyright and Fairdealing | Accessibility | Culture and Netiquette ||
|Web Site Development||Planning ( Types | For Mobile) | Development (Design Components | Graphic Design) | Programming | Hosting | Marketing and Promotion | Advertising | Business Intelligence | Monitoring and Maintenance (Performance Tuning)|
|Web Site Management||Roles | Management | User Expectations | Content Management | Site Maintenance | Policies and Guidelines | Promotion | Risk Management|
By the end of this page you will be able to:
As part of website content management and organisation should identify what content requires updating in your website and determine how often it needs updating or reviewing. Do this by:
- itemising the various sections of your website
- identifying what types of information can be found in each section – for example, text, images, video, audio
- identifying for each section and each type of information, exactly what information is likely to require updating or reviewing
- determining for each piece of information how often it requires updating or reviewing: daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.
The content editor of a website can make the job more efficient and effective by establishing and administering a quality assurance procedure.
- Establish a pro-forma that all contributors to the website use to submit new content or changes to existing content or functions. It should identify such things as:
- the format for the content
- how to indicate requested links
- where in the site the new or revised content is to be placed
- sign-off procedures.
- Ensure everyone in the organisation knows about the proforma and how to complete it.
- Confirm that the content supplied for updating does not infringe anyone’s copyright, intellectual property rights or is illegal in any way - eg privacy laws.
- Proof-read the new content and seek approval from the author for changes prior to uploading.
- Determine whether new content should be signed-off by the management team.
- Develop a method of reporting problems.