30 April 2017 16:48
Welcome to my Userpage
नमस्कार wikieducator में आपका स्वागत .
A Small Message
If you are new to Wikieducator, please note that content in blue is hyperlinked. Content in red indicates that pages have still to be developed. This is a page in perpetual progress. So changes are to be expected.... thanks ....Cynthia D'Costa
|| Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.
- 1987-1996 ---Teacher at St. Augustine's High School, Vasai . Taught Mathematics, Science and Geography
- 1996 to date --- Lecturer in Educational Philosophy and Educational Psychology at Pushpanjali College of Education,Vasai.
- Involved with Bachelor in e-education as Curriculum Developer and facilitator, Yeshwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University.
- Have delivered talks and conducted workshops for parents, students, teachers and administrators
- Presented several papers at State and National Level Seminars
M.A(Hist), M.Sc(Inorganic Chemistry), M.Ed, Ph.D (Education)
I am interested in travelling. I like dabbling with computers, surfing the net. I love word games, crosswords and puzzles like sudoku. I play the keyboard, mostly by ear. I have not learnt music formally. I like creative work like drafting scripts for street plays. I read extensively anything from psycho spiritual to comics. I like cooking too.
Psychology of Learning
Psychology of Learning is my contribution to Wikieducator. Hope to complete this one some day!!!
A Study of the Relationship Between Multiple Intelligences and Teacher Effectiveness of School Teachers
Researcher : Ms.Cynthia D'Costa, Pushpanjali College of Education, Vasai
Research guided by: Dr. Veena Deshmukh, Former Reader, Smt K.K. College of Education, Santacruz, Mumbai
This research was awarded Doctorate in Philosophy by University of Mumbai in December 2008.
The study highlights areas of Multiple Intelligence that have a bearing on teacher effectiveness.
Read on for more Research Paper
June 2012:I had undertaken a project entitled "Open Education Resources in Teacher Education". My students undergoing the Bachelor in Education Course, used OERs to learn some components of their course. The findings of this project were presented before NCERT(National Council of Educational Research and Training). The project was acknowledged as an innovative practice in Teacher Education.Read more OERs in Teacher Education
(: Dear Cynthia
I am very happy to see your utilization of WE in such a constructive way. You truly deserve this.
Let me know if I can help in any way or if I can be a part of this endeavour.
Warm wishes & Blessings
--Dr. Gita Mathur 17:16, 9 June 2012 (UTC))
I am interested in pursuing research on the following topics(please scroll)
- Remedial Work in Learning disabilities
- Approaches in On line learning
- Learner diversity in E-learning
Feel free to suggest ideas , findings in above areas. Mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tribute to Wikieducator
here the learner is without fear I
mmediate help is quite near K
nowledge runs free I
nherent creativity on the spree E
nrichment for empowerment - the only goal D
eeply committed facilitators play their role U
and I work in tow C
aring to help one another grow A
world sans a digital divide T
hrough wikieducator we can provide O
pen Education Resources for all to use R
ejoice, Wikieducator brings you good news
A big thankyou to William and Flora Hewlett Foundation for supporting the cause of WE.
Thanks to Dr. Wayne Mackintosh (founder, Wikieducator), the team of facilitators and co-facilitators and all members of Wikieducator for all the wonderful work being done.
(: This is totally awesome & amazing. Cynthia you have really got the spirit of WikiEducator. Proud to have you on my workshop eL4C40. Warm wishes--Gita Mathur 05:53, 17 June 2010 (UTC))
Quizzes are interesting ways to check how much you know. Take a quiz that interests you. You may leave your comments in the comments section
Constructivism encourages the learner to take responsibility for his own learning. This section provides activities to facilitate constructivism.
Stories to teach
Let me share with you some wonderful e-books that I have read. Happy Reading!!!
- E learning--A guidebook of Principles, Procedures and Practices by Dr. Som Naidu explores the pedagogical aspects of e-learning.
- Have fun with numbers as you browse through Happy Maths:1 by Mala Kumar
- Happy Maths :2 by Mala Kumar teaches you about shapes and data
- Happy Maths:3 by Mala Kumar introduces concepts related to measurement.
- Happy Maths:4 by Mala Kumar drills in concepts related to time and money
- Click in this link. The book "Teacher Education" by Gloria Salandanan covers many topics from Multiple Intelligences to Constructivism and Higher Order Thinking Skills.
- The Azim Premji foundation brings out a periodical named as "Learning Curve". This well researched periodical often centres around a theme. Past issues of the Learning Curve are available at . I strongly recommend this periodical for teachers.
Here are a few samples of techniques I have found useful in the classroom. Happy reading and Happy experimentation!
Webquests are wonderful ways to initiate self learning. A sample webquest has been created for you.
|At the end of this session on Webquests, you will be able to create a webquest on your own
to get an understanding of what a webquest is.
Also see http://www.nelliemuller.com/Nutrition_WebQuest.lessonplan.htm
|Prepare your own webquest for a topic in a class that you teach.Carry out your plan. You may leave a short description of your experiences in the 'My experiences' section
Brain based Learning
Tips for teachers
•Know thy learner :Be sure you are aware of who your students are. It is a good idea to have a learner profile filled in at the start of the term The learner profile could contain important information on the student's learning styles, Multiple Intelligence, Emotional Intelligence, his/her attitude towards the Course, other information that would be vital for you to know.
The Profile helps the teacher to design learning experiences that are tailored towards the student.
•Go tech: Use Powerpoint presentations, encourage wiki creation, use webquests and other tech based techniques to foster constructivist approach.
•Use co-operative learning: We learn better with others. Incorporate co-operative learning techniques so that all learners take responsibility for their learning.
•Evaluate:Opt for various techniques of formative evaluation. formative evaluation gives the teacher good feedback to find if the learning objectives are being met. Also, a variety of techniques means the monotony of quizzes as evaluation techniques is broken.
•Network: Be in touch with other teachers all over the globe to know how they handle their classes. Wiki communities are a wonderful way of being linked. Grow by learning. All the best!!!
Notes from wikineighbours
Use the scroll bar on the right to see all the comments below:
- Hi Dr. Cynthia...thanks for encouraging me to this course. I know I took long to reciprocate your wishes..all the same..thanks and keep up the good work!--Chinmayee Bhange 10:04, 15 June 2012 (UTC)
- प्रिय सिंथिया, मी खूप दिवसांनी तुझे पेज पाहिले. तुझे अभिनंदन. उत्कृष्ठ कामगिरी केली आहेस. Congrats on the UPE award. एकदम मस्त! --Kalpana Gupte 17:17, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- Hiii Cynthia,Could you please help me in acheiving the title of Wikibuddy?Expecting your extreme help,your ,--Darsana Joseph
- Hiiiii Cynthia.Thank you for your complements $my heartfelt adulation on winning the User Page Expo award.Great Job! --Darsana Joseph
Hi! Congratulations!!- Jyoti
- Hi Cynthia,hearty congrats for winning UPE September2010 award!great work,good job--satarupa
- Hello Cynthia madam, congrats for winning user page expo award!--Vaishali
- Hello Agnes and congratulations on winning the User Page Expo award! Good for you! --Benjamin Stewart 00:54, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
- Young and colourful page, a lot to learn from you. Congratulations on your award!--Nadia El Borai 23:17, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
- Hello Cynthia, I am inspired by your amazing area on WE. A goal to work towards in my new journey, Jane Scripps I don't have this signature thing right yet
(: Dear Cynthia, Congratulations for reaching the WikiBuddy Certification. It is an important landmark, the highest you can reach in a L4C workshop. Cheers! Warm wishes.--Gita Mathur 03:45, 18 June 2010 (UTC))
(: Congratulations cynthia Ma'm for getting WikiBuddy certification.... regards....vaishali 2010 (UTC))
Congratulations on achieving the Wikibuddy certification. Excellent work! Keep progressing and achieve all the objectives that you have set for yourself. Regards, --Kalpana Gupte 09:07, 20 June 2010 (UTC)
Welcome to eL4C40
- Your facilitators:
(: Hi Cynthia. You have a wonderful page. I just fixed the top Welcome box for you. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 17:16, 23 July 2010 (UTC))
Dear Agnes: I'm just trying to get my bachelor degree on teaching foreign languages, I'm studying on line in my country National University UNAM. But I love your page, and your project of solving constructivist cases is just very much needed, I feel. I am already a fan of your wiki because it's a place where any teacher can learn a lot! I'd like to collaborate with you as much as I can! It's a privilege to be able to be in contact with you through this wonderful tool. Thanks for your work.--Zapoteco 22:20, 29 July 2010 (UTC)
(: Dear Cynthia. Your page is really interesting. I added a little helpful syntax in your note to Newbies, that your page is "work in progress". This icon you can use on anything when you are not done yet. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 02:19, 30 July 2010 (UTC))
(: Hi Cynthia. Your page is beautiful. I like constructivist teaching pedagogies - especially in online learning environments. I am thinkinig of getting my students to work on webquest this semester. Perhaps you would like to share some ideas of how I would do this well. Cheers. --Vilimaka Foliaki 22:07, 30 July 2010 (UTC))
(: Hi Agnes, Your page is the most informative I've been to. I'm a visual person, and I like how you use colours. I like botany, and probably that is the reason why I like gardening and flowers. Most of my students are ethnic Indians - but most haven't been to India. The longer I stay in Fiji, the more I understand Hindi. It's interesting to learn about other languages - and helps us understand how close we are to one another. Anyway, thanks for visitng and leaving those nice words on my page.Vili) --Vilimaka Foliaki 12:51, 1 August 2010 (UTC)
(: Dear Cynthia. Congratulations on your winning the User page Expo Awards for the best user page for the month of September 2010. A great achievement. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 18:24, 13 September 2010 (UTC))
(: Dear Cynthia. Congratulations to you too for winning the Sept user page Expo Award. I love the way you have used the coloured boxes for the different sections. Kind regards --jennip 01:29, 14 September 2010 (UTC) )
(: Dear Cynthia. Congratulations on your winning the User Page Expo Awards for the best user page for the month of September 2010. I knew this will come. You are a great Educator & a wonderful WikiNeighbour too. Keep adding. Warm wishes--Dr. Gita Mathur 02:01, 14 September 2010 (UTC)) Hi Cynthia/Agnes,
I quite enjoyed reviewing your page. When I was reading about Multiple Intelligences I was reminded of a very favourite quote of mine that is attributed to Howard Gardner. I think he said "Don't ask-- How smart am I? Ask-- How am I smart?"
Thanks for sharing your work, Dianne
Hi Cynthia, thank you a lot for your comment and advice... I am very glad to know you... I would like also to congratulate you for your award... Congratulations dear! --Zaynah 16:42, 24 November 2010 (UTC)
Hi Cynthia! Thanks a lot for your support and encouragement. I am looking forward to collaborating, sharing and learning from you. Best regards.--Emmanuel Nalumenya
Hi Cynthia. Neat to have you and your students involved in the eL4C48 class. Nice to see your encouraging comments - Michael (Mverhaart 10:06, 9 December 2010 (UTC))
Hi Mam...its a pleasure to be with people like you..hearfelt congrats on ur success..--Shijisubodh 07:14, 5 February 2011 (UTC)
Hi Cynthia! You have beautiful User page! Great to have you as a WikiNeighbour! --Teromakotero 12:37, 5 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Cynthia Madam, Myself Dr. K.S.Ramakrishnan, Assistant Professor, School of Education, Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai. I am a participant of EL4C50 Workshop. I visited your WE page and it is very beautiful and colourful and contentful. I am amazed by it. I would like to know the development of e-content. If you give the address of your blog, or website, I may visit there. I believe I may learn a lot from you. Wishing you all the best. --Dr. K S Ramakrishnan 12:17, 30 April 2011 (UTC)