OLPC Tuvalu/Deployment/Curriculum Integration
This is closely related to the teacher training and content plans. During the trials period, the Education Department and project teams need to be aware of two parts to this:
Lesson Planning with the XO
Initial training was given during the workshop to start thinking about using the XO linked to specific teaching objectives that are in the curriculum. The participants developed three example lesson plans (shown below). There is also considerable guidance given in the resources (see Reading below).
Objectives related to this, during the trial, should be:
- Not to be over ambitious. Get used to the XO and the Activities first.
- To try to look for early opportunities for students to use the laptops in lessons
- To be aware of classroom management techniques to avoid disruption and improve productivity
- To start to use the laptop for admin tasks
- To use the laptops for improving subject knowledge and lesson preparation
- When ready, try to start incorporating the XO into lesson plans.
- All experience in class should be discussed in the weekly teacher meetings
- Please try to record important observations from these meetings and share them with the stakeholders and support email forum, and even write Blogs on the Ning site
- Please try to upload all tested lesson plans with observations to the Wikieducator. Note that you can do the lesson plan on the XO and email the ODT (text file). Others can help teachers to transfer them to the Wikieducator OLPC Tuvalu Lesson Plans page
Looking for and creating lesson and teaching resources with the XO
During the trial, teachers should try to:
- Search for and download materials from the Wikieducator, Schools Wikipedia and Wikipedia connected with the curricular learning objectives (and teacher professional development)
- Use Write to create worksheets, stories (i.e. in Tuvaluan) and save them on the server
How the National Team can help
- The Education CO and ICT officers can collaborate to develop resources in PDF, HTML and ODT format and test them
- The other schools can experiment and evaluate ways of producing electronic resources
- Contact the OER Foundation and start a dialogue about OER resources for the programme