EL4C19 Online Learning4Content Workshop - Course layout
- 1 Course Objectives
- 2 Course Layout
- 2.1 DAY 1 (January 26, 2009)
- 2.2 Getting Started
- 2.3 DAY 2 (January 27, 2009)
- 2.4 Video for Day 1 & 2
- 2.5 DAY 3 (January 28, 2009)
- 2.6 Video for Day 3
- 2.7 DAY 4 (January 29, 2009)
- 2.8 Video For Day 4
- 2.9 DAY 5 (January 30, 2009)
- 2.10 Video for Day 5
- 2.11 DAY 6 (February 2, 2009)
- 2.12 Video for Day 6
- 2.13 DAY 7 (February 3, 2009)
- 2.14 DAY 8 (February 4, 2009)
- 2.15 DAY 9 (February 5, 2009)
- 2.16 Pedagogical Templates
- 2.17 DAY 10 (February 6, 2009)
- 3 Advanced Learners
DAY 1 (January 26, 2009)
- Please download the print version of Learning4Content or read these directly on WikiEducator
- Join he L4C homepage on Google Groups: Google L4C Group or by clicking on the "Discussion" tab above.
- Learn as much as you can about the Learning for Content (L4C) initiative.
- Please upload, fill in, sign, and fax the learning contract to +1 604 775 8210 or scan and email to Patricia Pschlicht
- Do you have any concerns about the quality of educational resources developed using an open authoring approach? If so, what are your concerns? If not, how does an open authoring approach contribute to high quality learning materials?
- In your opinion, should course development for education use closed or open authoring approaches? Give reasons for your view?
- What mechanisms can be adopted to assure quality of educational content developed in Wiki environments?
How to use Wikieducator
DAY 2 (January 27, 2009)
The video is a recording of a live online event given to a face-to-face class in the computer laboratory in BC, Canada by two facilitators at a distance (Mexico and Israel). Watch and listen to Gladys Gahona , a participant from the previous L4C workshop share her work and give tips on how to add content and start projects and Nellie Deutsch give an online workshop on how to begin using wiki markers.
Becoming a New Member
Creating an Account
- Please read the tutorial and follow the instructions on how to Create an account. How to create a WikiEducator Account on Video
- Please add your username to the user page list after reading the instructions on "Submitting your Username"
Create a User Page
- Guidelines on how to start a user page.
DAY 3 (January 28, 2009)
Please follow tutorial 3 on editing basics.
Basic Text Formatting
More Wiki Codes
- Basics of editing
- Editing with wiki codes
- All you need to know for advanced formatting of text
DAY 4 (January 29, 2009)
Practicing the Basic Codes
- You will practice your edits in a personal editing space connected to your user page called a "sandbox". You may wish to download a pdf file on how to create a sandbox.
- Download a copy of a cheatsheet and keep the page close at hand when working on the wiki.
Starting a New Page
DAY 5 (January 30, 2009)
- External and Internal Links
- Internal Links - creating links to other pages within the wiki.
- Piped Links - giving links more descriptive names.
- External Links - linking to sites outside of the wiki.
DAY 6 (February 2, 2009)
- Uploaded files of Images
- Types of Media Supported
- Basic Syntax for Inserting Images
- Creating Thumbnails, Frames, and aligning Images
- Inserting Other Media Types
DAY 7 (February 3, 2009)
- Tutorial 7 on collaborative editing where you will learn tricks on how to monitor activity in the wiki.
- You will also learn how to revert an edit which you should practice on your user page.
- Watch the video about E-mail notifications
- Youtube Video on E-mail notifications
Steps for adding COLOURS to your Page (taken from Gita Mathur)
- Put in text on your page
- Decide which set of words you want to colour
- Add < FONT COLOR = "Green" > that is a less than sign followed by FONT COLOR then equal to symbol,name of the colour within double codes then add symbol for greater than.(Do not leave space between any symbols)in front of the text to be coloured.
- At the end of the text put the same syntax with the original colour name, otherwise all the text beyond this point will get the new colour.
- Example:I find colours very fascinating.....this page will echo my love for colours
- Click on the edit button above this section and look at the syntax I have used in the line above.
- Normal colour names work but for names of more shades see the weblink I have mentioned above.
Fonts and Backgrounds
DAY 8 (February 4, 2009)
- Tutorial 8 on Communication and Interaction Tools
- Test the feature of adding a discussion item which relates to a content page in the wiki. See the discussion activity on this page
- Leave a personal message on the User page of at least three different participants who have listed their user pages. In addition, you may wish to be a good wikeneighbour and welcome the newest members. To do this -- you need to go to the respective User page by clicking on a blue coloured link. Then click on the "Discussion" tab of the User page concerned (which you find at the top of the page). Try and comment on something positive you have seen on their user page, and if you have any ideas on how to improve the user page -- offer some friendly advice.
DAY 9 (February 5, 2009)
Pedagogical templates are used when authoring teaching content in WikiEducator. A number of templates are predesigned to save you time with more complex layouts required of instructional materials. They include a range of "instructional devices" or subelements of a content page and are usually signified by an icon. For example: http://www.wikieducator.org/Quickstart_guide/pedagogical_templates
- Tutorial 9 on Creating and Using Pedagogical Templates.
- Insert at least one pedagogical template on your user page, this will be required later for your certification as a Wikibuddy.
DAY 10 (February 6, 2009)
- Developing Categories
- add categories
- link to category pages
- categorize categories
- move categories
Collaborative Team Effort
- Sharing the Editing
- Sharing and Editing Videos
- Recent Changes
- Differences and History - Comparing changes to pages
- Reverting - Reverting back to a previous page
Audio and Video
WikiEducator and Collaborative Exchange
- Defining Free cultural works (Free content)
- Essential freedoms of free software
- Licenses for free content
- The WikiEducator community
- What is a wiki?