I am a software engineer for the OER Foundation, part of the International Centre for Open Education at Otago Polytechnic. I am investigating ways to improve interoperability between open educational resources (OERs) systems, specifically between Connexions and WikiEducator. I am a developer of the eXe eLearning XHTML Editor project. I am promoting adoption of WikiEducator by teachers in New Zealand as a way to both (1) produce open educational resources that can be freely used across NZ schools and (2) strengthen networks of peers through collaboration in that development.
I am also experimenting with small tweaks to OpenOffice's MediaWiki export so that it can take advantage of the WikiEducator pedagogical templates.
On IRC I generally monitor the #wikieducator channel on irc.freenode.net. You can chat with other members of the WikiEducator community using the Web chat link in the community section of the left sidebar of each page.
I am one of the founders of the Tokyo Linux Users Group and a long time Python programmer (and one of the administrators of the Starship Python). In real life I am an active radio amateur (ham radio operator) (ZL2IA, 7J1AJH, AI8A). I also enjoy hiking and swimming.
I've lived in several places in the United States. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and went to school in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I worked in southwestern Michigan (St. Joseph), Los Angeles, and Silicon Valley. Moving to Tokyo, Japan in 1990 got me closer to many of the components and manufacturers that I was working with and I enjoyed living there for about 16 years. In late 2006, I moved to Gisborne, New Zealand (map) for a couple of years to participate in the eXe project, and now the Open Education Resource movement and WikiEducator. Recently I relocated to Te Anau (map), in the remote Fiordland corner of New Zealand.
- WikiEducator "Reader Mode" gadget to remove navigation distractions (and improve display on tablet/phone screens). http://goo.gl/jSC3E">jimt: #WikiEducator "Reader Mode" gadget to remove navigation distractions (and improve display on tablet/phone screens). http://goo.gl/jSC3E (April 24, 2013 03:42)
- WikiEducator and #OERu technology chat now on G+ hangout http://ur1.ca/d9ni1">jimt: #WikiEducator and #OERu technology chat now on G+ hangout http://ur1.ca/d9ni1 (April 04, 2013 20:01)
- jimt: Enjoyed a tour of the Auckland University of Technology radio astronomy site at Warkworth on Monday. Impressive hardware and RF "plumbing." (April 02, 2013 22:23)
- jimt: Two fantails just flew in and did a couple of circuits of my office and then perched to watch me type. Programming close to nature. #teanau (March 26, 2013 21:48)
- jimt: RT @kiwipycon Kiwi PyCon 2013 will be at AUT (Sir Paul Reeves Building) on September 7-8! http://nz.pycon.org/ ^TK (March 20, 2013 22:53)
- WikiEducator LicenseByCategory extension that is compatible with Mediawiki 1.20+ http://goo.gl/cGBju">jimt: Pushed new version of my #WikiEducator LicenseByCategory extension that is compatible with Mediawiki 1.20+ http://goo.gl/cGBju (March 19, 2013 00:15)
- WikiEducator to vector(-like).">jimt: Have (finally) changed the default skin of #WikiEducator to vector(-like). (March 12, 2013 22:53)
- WikiEducator form for improving descriptions and license details of uploaded images. http://goo.gl/Wo1TA">jimt: Used #LiveScript to build a #WikiEducator form for improving descriptions and license details of uploaded images. http://goo.gl/Wo1TA (March 09, 2013 00:05)
- WikiEducator has been updated and moved to a new data center. Thanks for your patience during this upgrade.">jimt: #WikiEducator has been updated and moved to a new data center. Thanks for your patience during this upgrade. (February 17, 2013 21:04)
- WikiEducator pages: http://goo.gl/2xcpS">jimt: Tip on using a widget to embed a map with OpenStreetMap data on #WikiEducator pages: http://goo.gl/2xcpS (February 01, 2013 02:28)