S. Raja Rao, Ph.D.
Indira Gandhi National Open University
|Employer:||Indira Gandhi National Open University|
|Languages:||Telugu, English, Hindi|
- 1 My Profile
- 1.1 IGNOU 20th Convocation Best Research Paper Award
- 1.2 Professional Background
- 1.3 Academic Achievements
- 1.4 Education
- 1.5 Academic Interests
- 1.6 Professional Background
- 1.7 Membership in Professional Bodies
- 1.8 Publications
- 1.9 Personal
- 1.10 Photos
- 1.11 My Projects
- 1.12 Note for RajaRao related to My Sandbox
- 1.13 My Reflection
- 1.14 Feedback & Notes from my WikiNeighbours
My name is S. Raja Rao.
I am at present working as a Regional Director in the Regional Services Division of Indira Gandhi National Open University, (IGNOU) at the Regional Centre, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Prior to this, I worked as the Founding Regional Director of IGNOU Regional Centre, Raghunathganj in the province of West Bengal ,  in India . Initially I joined as a Lecturer in Pubic Administration and later on became the Assistant Regional Director and Deputy Director and at present heading a Regional Centre as the Regional Director.
IGNOU 20th Convocation Best Research Paper Award
I am actively engaged in academic administration, planning and monitoring of support services in Open and Distance Learning System for more than 21 years to the learners while delivering academic programmes and extending higher educational opportunities to large section of learners in the remote and far flung areas and missed opportunities.
As an active academic researcher, my research articles are published in the National and International referred Journals in the area of Open and Distance Education. My research article The Social Basis of Distance Education: Strategies for Inclusive Growth published in Asian Journal of Distance Education, Vol. 6, No.2, pp. 58-65, has been acclaimed for its relevance and thought provoking ideas based on enrolment data and it has been adjudged as the Best Research Paper and Awarded Silver Medal and Citation during the 20th Convocation of IGNOU. Asian Journal of Distance Education has highlighted the award winning research article in its vol.7, no.1, Editorial Celebrating Open and Distance Education in Asia with a photograph with the Editor Dr. R. C. Sharma along with Citation and Medal. I am also in the panel of reviewers for Indian Journal of Open Learning (IJOL)], New Delhi and Kakatiya Journal of Distance Education (KJDE), Warangal, India.
- University First Rank.
- Awarded of Junior Research Fellowship
- Best Research Paper Award.
- Ph. D. (Distance Education/Administration of Support Services) 2004 (Hyderabad)
- M. A. (Distance Education) 2002 (IGNOU)
- P. G. Diploma in Distance Education 1998 (IGNOU)
- M. Phil. (Political Science) 1987 (Hyderabad)
- M. A. (Public Administration) 1984 (Andhra)
- B. A. (Politics) 1982 (Andhra)
- Inclusive Education through ODL System
- Learner Support Services
- Pro-Active Academic Administration
- Delivery of Academic Programmes
- Research & Training
- Lecturer in Public Administration (Nov.1989 to Nov. 1996)
- Lecturer in Senior Scale (Nov. 1996 to Nov.1999)
- Assistant Regional Director, Selection Grade, (Nov.1999 to Feb.2007)
- Deputy Director (Feb.2007 to July 2009)
- Regional Director (July 2009 to till date)
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Life Member, Indian Distance Education Association (IDEA)
- Life Member, New Public Administration Society of India (NEPASI)
- Secretary, Indian Distance Education Association (IDEA) (2006- 07)
- Member, Academic Committee, HIMITET & IGNOU Community College, Midnapore,W.B.
- Member, Examination Committee, Seacom Marine Community College, Kolkata, W.B.
(a) Research Papers
- 2009: “Including the Excluded through Community Colleges: Need for Community Centric Approach for Success”, Door Sancharika, A Publication of IGNOU Regional Centre, Kolkata, Vol. 1, No.2. pp. 19-23.
- 2008a: “The Social Basis of Distance Education: Strategies for Inclusive Growth”, Asian Journal of Distance Education, (online journal: www.asianjde.org), Vol. 6, No. 2. pp. 58-65. (Adjudged as Best Research Paper in IGNOU 20th Convocation held on 28th February 2009)The Social Basis of Distance Education: Strategies for Inclusive Growth
- 2008b: “Access, Awareness and Use of Media Support Services: Strategies to make them Popular with the learners”, Indian Journal of Open Learning, Vol. 17, No.2, pp. 163-173.http://journal.ignouonline.ac.in/iojp/index.php/IJOL%7C
- 2008c: “Administrative Models for Delivery of Support Services and Need for Learner Orientation to Administration in ODL”, Staff and Educational Development International, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 61-68.
- 2004: “Student Support Services and Open Learning in an Open University, by Rampelli Satyanarayana”, OSAC Journal of Open Schooling, Vol. IV, No.2, pp.146-150 (Book Review).
- 2003: “Interactive ‘Live’ Radio Counselling for Distance Education”, Journal of Distance Education, Vol. X, No.1, pp. 56-64.
- 2002: “Study Centres and Demographic Dimensions: An Analysis of Accessibility and Need for Coordination and Networking“, New Frontiers in Education, Vol. XXXII, No.3, pp.175-184.
- 2001: “Electronic Media for Distance Education: Impact of ‘Live’ Radio Counselling”, VIII Annual Conference of Indian Distance Education Association on Fron Postal Tuition to Virtual Classroom, organised by Kakatiya University, Warangal,pp.192-196.
- 1999: Student Support Services: Some Empirical Issues”, Regional Seminar on University Education Through distance Mode: Problems and Prospects, organised by Centre for Distance Education, Osmania University, Hyderabad, pp.121-131.
(b) Book Chapters
- 2009: “ICTs for Learner Support Services in ODL: Strategies to make them Popular with Distance Learners”, in P. Vijayalakshmi Pandit (Ed), ‘Information and Communication Technologies in Open Distance Learning’, Booklinks Corporation Publication, Hyderabad, pp. 228-247.
- 1990: “The Revenue Mandals”, in M. Kistaiah (Ed) ‘Administrative Reforms in a Developing Society’, Sterling Publications, New Delhi, pp.34-45, (with G. Sudarshanam).
- “Managerial Role of Functionaries in Open Distance Education” in C. K. Ghosh et. al. (Eds) ‘Learner Support: The Crucial Dimension of Open Distance Learning’ (with Srilatha, chapter in a forthcoming book)
- 2010: “Cases on Challenges Facing E-Learning and National Development Institutional Studies and Practices” Vol. 1 & Vol. 2. (with Ugur DEMIRAY as Co-Editor), e-book, www.midasebook.com
- 2002: “Distance Education in Andhra Pradesh: Policies: Practices: Perspectives”, Booklinks, Hyderabad,(with P. Satyanarayana, as Associate Editor).
(d) Thesis and Reports
- 2004: Ph.D. Thesis on “Administration of Student Support Services in Distance Education: A Case Study of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Open University”, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- 2002: M.A. (Distance Education) Project Report on “Delivery of Professional Programmes through Distance Mode: Learner-Counsellor Perceptions on IGNOU MCA Programme”, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.
- 2000: Prepared a Programme Deliver Manual for delivery of IGNOU Computer Programmes entitled “A Note on IGNOU Computer Programmes”, IGNOU Regional Centre, Hyderabad.
- 1999: “Report on Interactive Radio-Counselling Programme”, IGNOU Regional Centre, Hyderabad.
- 1987: M.Phil. Dissertation on “Organisation and Working of Revenue Mandals in Andhra Pradesh: A Case Study”, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
(e) SLM Units Writing
SLM Units contributed for IGNOU M.A. Public Administration September 2005: Administrative Theory- MPA-012
- Unit 4. Scientific Management Approach, pp.54-63, (with G. Sudarshnam)
- Unit 5. Administrative Management Approach, pp.64-72, (with G. Sudarshanam)
- Unit 6. Max Weber’s Theory of Bureaucracy,pp.73-83, (with G. Sudarshanam)
- Unit 7. Critique of Bureaucracy, pp.84-92, (with G. Sudarshanam)
(f) SLM Units Translation
July 2005: Block.3, Unit 10 to 13, (Learning at a Distance) of ES-364, Distance Education, of IGNOU B.Ed Programme, Translated into Telugu for Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad. (Telugu Course Code No. 15T)
- Unit. 10. Distance Learners, pp.150-163.
- Unit. 11. Self Learning, pp.164-181.
- Unit. 12. Student Support Services, pp.182-198.
- Unit. 13. Continuous Assessment in Distance Learning, pp.199-217.
My optional community service (learning contract) project
||By signing this optional learning contract I will try to complete my training in basic wiki editing skills to achieve the status of a Wikibuddy. In return for this free training opportunity, I will give the gift of knowledge by donating or developing at least one free content resource licensed under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY license which can be used by myself (and others) on WikiEducator.|
| Brief description of project
|| <Enter a brief description of the content resource or WikiEducator project you would like to work on here>|
| Target date for completion
|| <Specify the target date for completion --- you choose the date which can be after the completion of this workshop>.|
|| <Login and with the rich text editor click on the "Insert signature" button above: .>|
(: Dear RR, although you can do experiment anywhere in your page or subpages (thats the beauty of Wiki), since "My Sandbox" is an experimental area and with the objective to keep your main page neat and clean, you may do all your kata-pitti there in sandbox area. Simply click on the link below and you will be taken there. OK? --R C Sharma, PhD 14:29, 29 July 2010 (UTC))
- After very few days of work with my user page, under the able guidance of Dr. R. C. Sharma and the support of Dr. Kalpana Gupte, it became an addiction to make changes and corrections till it looks good. I think it must be true with many others like me.
Feedback & Notes from my WikiNeighbours
- Dear RajaRao, any progress on your CLTPM? --R C Sharma, PhD 20:32, 1 November 2010 (UTC)
- Dear RR Garu, your page is looking good. Please keep updating the information on it. Hope you are not facing any difficulty. if so, pl do let us know. Warm Wishes.--Ramesh Sharma 18:15, 30 October 2010 (UTC)
- See the sandbox on my page. It is another page, a sub page. You can practise all you want and your main user page will not get cluttered. You can click on the blue lettering which reads my sandbox page and your page will open. It is like playing on the sand on the beach and then wiping out the footprints.Kalpana--Kalpana Gupte 12:26, 29 July 2010 (UTC)
- Well done and Congrats on your first certification. You can use the sandbox to practice and perfect your skills. Regards, --Kalpana Gupte 01:51, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
- Dear Rajarao, Congratulations on your first Certification! --R C Sharma, PhD 14:15, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- Dear Rajarao, hope the problem for Photo is solved now. Cheers! --R C Sharma, PhD 18:35, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- Dear Rajarao, hope the problem for Photo is solved now. Cheers! --R C Sharma, PhD 18:35, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- Dear Rajarao, regarding some problem in uploading (or linking it here in your page), please tell me the name of the image which you uploaded on wikiservers. --Ramesh Sharma 13:39, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- Now our Garu will be happy to see comment in his language!!--Ramesh Sharma 13:37, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
(: Raja Rao Garu, నువ్వు చాలా మంచి పని చేసినావు. Congrats! Kalpana)
(: Dear RajaRao, I am sending a bill to you for 5000USD... pl pay soon .. for all the commands I told you... Cheers!--RCS 22 July 2010)
(: Dear RajaRao, you are an excellent learner. Donot forget my गुरु दक्षिणा !!--Ramesh Sharma 18:37, 22 July 2010 (UTC))
(: Dear Raja Rao, You are very welcome to this eL4C41 Online workshop. You have already started developing your page. Try to add details about you in the INFOBOX at the top of the page. If you need any help, you can either email me or leave a message on my page. Warm Wishes.--Ramesh Sharma 18:57, 21 July 2010 (UTC))
(: Welcome to WikiEducator. Leave a note on my page if you need help. You can join the upcoming online workshop by clicking on 'Register now ' on top of this page.--Dr. Gita Mathur 12:58, 12 July 2010 (UTC))
Hello, dear Raja Rao. Nice to see you here after so many days. A very Warm Welcome. And good to see you adding to your page. Kalpana Gupte 15:55, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
Hello, Dr Rao. You sure will find Wikieducator to be an enlightening experience. All the best.Cynthia D'Costa--Agnes 15:33, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
Dear Raja Rao, Welcome aboard. It is a pleasure to see you here. I hope you are enjoying the learning curve and experience. You have made great progress and I encourage you to go on, so we will soon be able to certify you under the WikiMaster programme. Welcome again. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 21:25, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
Dear Raja Rao, You have spoken like a true WikiEducator and you are certainly right when you say that many must feel like you do. In fact, most people on this network have become very avid and dedicated WikiEducator which is why we can call ourselves lucky to be among such a wonderful and committed group of professional. I am glad you are enjoying the learning curve and the more you will get into the subject matter and you will naturally discover opportunities, the more you will see the potential of you personally starting to act on this. I don't know who said it but when our thoughts become our beliefs, and beliefs turn into action, then our action will become our passion. Good luck. Feel free to call on any one of us to help if you need. You are now part of the family. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 18:28, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
- Dear RajaRao, Welcome to WikiEducator again. Now that you are part of our Wiki family, know that you have joined over 15,500 educators around the world. You have now access to a lot of shared knowledge which you can use towards building your projects in open education. Good to have you with us. Feel free to ask questions where you need to. We are here to help you. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 02:19, 26 August 2010 (UTC)
* Hello Dr. Raja Rao, It is a pleasure to see that you have developed such a nice userpage. I look forward to reading your contributions here. warm wishes--Dr. Gita Mathur 12:51, 3 August 2010 (UTC)
Facilitators - eL4C42
- The WikiEducator "Inspiring to become an Agent of Change" Online Workshop Learning4Content wiki skills workshop - 25 August to 8 September, 2010.
- The facilitators:
Welcome to eL4C37
- Hello and welcome to eL4C37, a free online Learning4Content wiki skills workshop.
- You may wish to check the schedule of the workshop, introduce yourself, and check the list of participants.
- Whenever you have the time, click on each of the above links and/or start ahead of time with the Pre-Work and Day 1 activities.
- Enjoy the workshop :-)
- Your facilitators: