Welcome and Introductions
Welcome to Gaining Foundation Skills for Learning and Teaching.(GFS)
NB: This course is no longer available as a facilitated course but please dip into any of the pages and use the resources for your own learning.
Kia ora, I'm Heather Day the course facilitator and I hope this course provides you with an introduction and overview of useful skills and knowledge for those new to tertiary teaching. It can also be used as a great refresher of sometimes forgotten basics for those who have been teaching adults for a while.
The schedule found under the course modules tab is for formal learners in the course.
Informal learners are welcome to either follow the schedule in your own time or dip into the resources and play with the information shared in the hope that it adds to your own learning.
The formal Gaining Foundation Skills for Learning and Teaching course is designed as a self paced independent learning package (of up to 10 weeks duration) with facilitated support. I will be in regular contact throughout the duration of the course and shared learning with others is encouraged through a discussion site for this course on Moodle.
Attached is the 2012 course outline for formal participants.
To make a start click on the Getting Started tab in the header box at the top of this page.
Participants can formally enrol by emailing EDCEnquiries@op.ac.nz.
To provide participants with information, skills and support enabling lecturers new to teaching to offer quality learner centred education to tertiary students.
At the successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- use a tool kit of basic learning strategies;
- recognise and support a variety of learning styles;
- reflect upon and evaluate own teaching to identify ways of improving practice;
- develop familiarity with, and the ability to use, basic teaching resources and equipment;
- explore the principles and practices of online pedagogy;
- create and critique a session/learning sequence;
- deliver a learner centred teaching/education session in an appropriate context;
- demonstrate culture sensitive learning and teaching practices;
- discuss assessment and evaluation terminology and practices and consider the usage of a range of evaluation tools.
Gaining Foundation Skills for Learning and Teaching, is a level 5 elective course within the Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Learning and Teaching - level 7 (GCTLT), delivered by the Educational Development Centre (EDC) at Otago Polytechnic, Aotearoa New Zealand.
Material introduced in the GFS course is developed further in the four core courses of the GCTLT. To find out more about the programme read the GCTLT information sheet 2012 or check out the links to the other GCTLT courses.