|Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
Questionnaire for Exploration
- Who is your managerial role model for earning your trust. Think of a manager in your experience whom you have trusted completely. What qualities and/or behaviours did this person demonstrate? What enabled them to earn your trust?
- Who is your managerial role model for demonstrating trust in you? How was trust demonstrated?
- How did you respond to their demonstration of trust?
Your Managerial Trust
- How much managerial trust have you accumulated? In other words, to what extent are you trusted by others in your managerial role? On what basis, are you providing your answer?
- What qualities and/or behaviours have allowed you to accumulate the trust?
- How much managerial trust have you dispensed? To what extent do you, in your managerial role, demonstrate trust in others?
- How have you demonstrated your trust in others? How have others responded to your demonstration of trust?
Trust in You
- Think of someone you currently manage whom you sense does NOT trust you. What qualities and/or behaviours have you demonstrated to warrant their lack of trust?
- To what extent are their perceptions based on a partial understanding or a misunderstanding of some information, your objectives / actions / point of view / or other aspects of your work context?
- What are the consequences of their lack of trust in you, them, and the workplace?
- How, and to what extent, might you be able to positively influence their lack of trust?
Your Trust in Others
- Think of someone you currently manage whom you do NOT trust. What qualities and/or behaviours have they demonstrated to warrant your lack of trust?
- To what extent are their perceptions based on a partial understanding or a misunderstanding of some information, your objectives / actions / point of view / or other aspects of their work context?
- What are the consequences of your lack of trust for this person, for how you manage them, and for your work unit?
- Think of someone you manage whom you trust. What qualities and/or behaviours have they demonstrated to warrant your trust?
- What is the difference between how you deal with the person you trust AND the person you do not trust? How, and to what extent, do these differences help or hinder:
- your effectiveness as a manager;
- your productivity; and
- the development of these employees
The Organization as a System
- Think of functional areas, levels, or work units which do not trust each other. What qualities and/or behaviours have been demonstrated to warrant the lack of trust in the other?
- To what extent are those qualities and/or behaviours an aspect of each area accomplishing its work? To what extent, is the lack of trust, a function of organizational structures, power and purposes?
- What are the consequences of the mistrust for:
- the organization
- each area
- the invidividuals
- the organization's stakeholders (including customers)
- What options are available for generating trust?