|Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
Educators from learning organizations are drawn to WikiEducator for three reasons: (1) achievement; (2) power; and/ or (3) affiliation.
What motivates educators from learning organizations to provide free instructional and learning content on WikiEducator?
(Active) Educators provide free content on WikiEducator because they want to experience the in-thing...they want to be part of what's going on....what's popular...what everyone is doing..., because of the affiliation / comunity of support...
- When educational organizations use (open) wikis for curricula development, educator-employees will increase their contribution of content and interaction
- "Drawn" - they come, and contribute to the wiki, to contribute to the wiki
- Learning Organizations
- See: Glossary
Internal / External
- the organization
- the instructors / educators
- the stakeholders
- the WE Community
- the world
- internal / eternal motivations
- from the individuals who contribute
- the organizational context - "You are going to do it this way"
- CC-BY IT Policy
- organizational support by instructional design unit
Ask Individual Educators - Why Are You Doing This? What motivates instructors from higher education learning organizations to participate in an Internet-based wiki project (i.e., WikiEducator)
- your org. came up with the idea
- you have no choice
- paid, unpaid
- extra work, for them...something they never had to do before....extra work.... so why are they doing extra work....so what's their incentive...
- What does "participate" mean - who comes, who goes, duration
Ask 'groups', who want to use WE for their training and teaching
Measuring Participation / Contribution
- What does participation / contribution mean?
- who comes, stays, for how long?
- instructor adds content
- ID department, vetted by instructors
- learning from others, and imitate it.... pro-D
- Rate of conversion rate from new users to active contributors
- Number, diversity and growth of active contributors in the WikiEducator space
- Note: Active contributors will develop and increase educational content
- See: Glossary for Definitions
- number of people taking wiki skills training
- indicators in the community - we have proof....
- we can see where it's coming from....
- list of participants, what organizations....,
- searches for what they've contributed....
- they're all talking to each other