|Website:||College of the Redwoods|
I am the Director of Distance Education at College of the Redwoods in Eureka, CA. I work with faculty in course development, teaching and learning with technology, and effective online teaching. I also work with the students in our "DE 101" - an online course on how to be an online student.
Geoff Cain is the Director of Academic Technology for the College of eLearning & Extended Education at Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA.
His recent presentations and seminars for Educause and other professional organisations include "Open Texts, Open Minds," "Design in Mind: Principles for Creating Classroom Materials," "Concept Maps and Brainstorming," and numerous presentations on blogging, podcasting, Second Life, and social media and networking.
Geoff is a former English teacher which has significantly informed his instructional design practice. He has taught developmental English, composition, and grammar classes both face-to-face and online. He also co-taught a Health Information Management student success course that utilized web 2.0 tools for collaborative learning.
Geoff completed his M.S in Education with an emphasis in online learning at California State University, Hayward, a graduate certificate in online learning and teaching, and a BA in English Literature.
My professional interests include open education resources, online pedagogy, instructional technology, faculty development, connectivism, social media and networks, change management, and emerging technologies.
I am fairly new to Humboldt Co. here in the coast redwoods. I enjoy hiking and exploring the coast. I also enjoy writing fiction and poetry, classical guitar, ukulele, reading, and I am on a Werner Herzog kick right now.
My wiki projects
My optional community service (learning contract) project
||By signing this optional learning contract I will try to complete my training in basic wiki editing skills to achieve the status of a Wikibuddy. In return for this free training opportunity, I will give the gift of knowledge by donating or developing at least one free content resource licensed under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY license which can be used by myself (and others) on WikiEducator.|
| Brief description of project
|| <Enter a brief description of the content resource or WikiEducator project you would like to work on here>|
| Target date for completion
|| <Specify the target date for completion --- you choose the date which can be after the completion of this workshop>.|
|| <Login and with the rich text editor click on the "Insert signature" button above: .>|
Feedback and notes from my WikiNeighbours
- Hi Geoff, As this workshop is nearing its end now, could you decide on developing at least one free content resource licensed under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY license which can be used by yourself (and others) on WikiEducator? With best wishes, Ramesh Sharma 20:10, 1 November 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Geoff, your page is looking good now. Please keep updating the information on it. Hope you are not facing any difficulty. if so, pl do let us know. Warm Wishes.--Ramesh Sharma 18:25, 30 October 2010 (UTC)
- Welcome to WikiEducator, Geoff. You will enjoy this wonderful learning opportunity but it comes with a health warning, highly addictive (smile!) Feel free to ask for help. We are here to help you. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 23:25, 20 October 2010 (UTC)
- Dear Geoff, Can you share with us your experiences on what was most beneficial to you on learning wiki skills? --R C Sharma, PhD 14:43, 3 August 2010 (UTC)
(: Hi, Warm greetings! -- Anil Prasad 16:00, 27 July 2010 (UTC))
- Congrats on your promotion Geoff! - Randy Fisher 22:36, 8 February 2011 (UTC)