Renaming and deleting folders and files
When you rename a file or folder, it does not make a copy of them. The contents of the file or folder do not change, only the name of the file or folder. You need to be careful when renaming files that you do not change the extension E.g. .docx must stay or the computer will not know what program to use to open the file.
Please note: the following tutorial will open in a new window/tab. When you have finished the tutorial, simply close the window/tab and you'll return to this page.
To rename a Folder:
- Right-click on the folder - Word Processing - Copy
- Select Rename
- Type in the new name for the folder – Word Processing Advanced
- Try copying and renaming the Spreadsheet folder - Spreadsheet Advanced.
To rename a file:
- Check that the file you wish to rename is closed
- Locate the Word Processing file you named with your own name
- Make a copy of this file, so there are now two copies of this in your Word Processing folder
- Right-click on the file to be renamed
- Select Rename
- Type in a new file name for the file, ensuring that you do not remove the file extension.
To delete a file:
- Locate the file Contact Details' that you created earlier
- Right-click the file icon
- Choose Delete
- A Confirm File Delete dialog box appears asking you if you are sure you want to send the file to the Recycle Bin
- Choose Yes
- The file is moved to the Recycle Bin.
- Now try deleting the Spreadsheet folder - Spreadsheet Advanced.
| Please note: If you are completing the assessment for this course, then you need to complete this portfolio activity.
- Use ScreenR to record the following steps for assessment:
- Move the word processing file you created for your shopping list, into a new folder, which will be used for next weeks personal reminders
- Rename this file, which will be used for next weeks Shopping List
- Open your word processing application again and type: Staff Meeting Reminder (Today’s Date)
- Save this file with the filename Meeting Reminder, inside the folder for next weeks personal reminders that you created #1
- Close the file
- Copy the file Meeting Reminder into the folder you have created for this week’s personal reminder
- Delete the sub-folder on the desktop that you created for today's reminders.
Save your recording and add it to your assessment portfolio.
PC 2781 1.3