Unit Standard 21204 Element 5: Integrate literacy skill development into the delivery of the training or education programme
Recommended resources (see reference list for details)
- Benseman, J., & Sutton, A. (Eds.). (2008). Facing the challenge. See chapters 10, 12, 13, 14
- Burton, M. (2007). Improving reading: phonics and fluency. Practitioner guide.
- Grief, S. & Chatterton, J. (2007). Developing adult teaching and learning. Practitioner guides – writing.
- Krudenier, J. (2002). Research-based principles for adult basic education.
- Tertiary Education Commission. (2008 d, g, i) These resource books accompany the learning progressions and contain a large number of activities for teaching specific literacy knowledge, skills and strategies.
5.1 Integration includes strategies to address identified literacy needs.
5.2 Integration includes selection and development of appropriate materials to address identified literacy needs.
Candidates will demonstrate that they are able to plan and deliver activities that will enhance literacy skill development, and understand numeracy concepts and plan and deliver activities that will enhance numeracy skill development, based on current theories of adult teaching and learning, including Matauranga Maori.
- Element 1 - Describe adult literacy in Aotearoa
- Element 2 - Describe Maori Literacy.
- Element 3 - Identify the literacy demands of the training or education programme.
- Element 4 - Identify the literacy strengths and needs of the individual learners in the training or education programme.
- Element 5 - Integrate literacy skill development into the delivery of the training or education programme.
- Element 6 - Use literacy teaching strategies to promote adult literacy skill development in the training or education programme.
- Element 7 - Assess literacy progress in the training or education programme.
- Element 8 - Evaluate effectiveness of literacy teaching strategies and learning activities and any specialist adult literacy support in the training or education programme.