VirtualMV/Internet & Web development (2)/Course materials/Building Web Site/Search Engine Optimization
|Internet & Web development (2)|
|Web Site Overview||Purpose | Components | Types|
|Building Web Site||Planning | Content development ( Design components | Accessibility | Graphic design ) | Programming | Website hosting | Marketing and promotion | Advertisements | Search Engine Optimization | Business intelligence | Monitoring and Maintenance ( Performance tuning )|
Search Engine Optimisation
Making your web page appear first in a search engine is an important part of web page development. Paying for space on google is one way to raise your profile, however there are some basic things you should do to help the rating of your web site.
Search engine ratings
By the end of this page you will be able to:
SEO Basics: 8 Essentials When Optimizing Your Site
"Skipping the basics and spending all your time and money on social and 'fancy stuff' is the same as skipping brushing your teeth and showering, but buying white strips and wearing expensive cologne," Edwards (2013) looks at 8 Essentials When Optimizing Your Site
- Your Website is Like a Cake
- What Search Engines Are Looking For
- What Search Engines Are NOT Looking For
- Know Your Business Model
- Don't Forget to Optimize for Multi-Channels
- Be Consistent With Domain Names
- Optimizing for Different Types of Results
- Focus on Your Meta Data Too (schema.org?)
Ways to improve your search engine ranking
Marziah Karch (2009)  lists several ways that you can improve your ranking in google.
- Keyword phrases (in the Meta tag). Ask other people what words/phrases they would use. Check Google trends
- Density: How often a keyword appears on the page, particularly in the first 200 words. Don't try tricking it (e.g. invisible text)
- Name your pages (use title tag
- Link early, link often. Google looks at links both to and from your site. Use "Read more about Internet rankings" rather than "click here"
- Submit to the right directories. Avoid link farms (Google already knows them!)
- Social Networking: Twitter, Blog sites, Links sites (like Del.ico.us) are indexed frequently
- Be graphic friendly. Care with Flash (tend to be avoided by Search engines), and give images alt attributes.
- Good design is popular design (as hopefully more people will read it)
Open Directory Project
The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web.
- It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Instead of fighting the explosive growth of the Internet, the Open Directory provides the means for the Internet to organize itself.
- Is a major data source for search engines (including Google).
- Being linked from the ODP will usually boost your ranking in Google and thus provide your site with lots of highly targeted traffic, much more than what you will get through the directory itself.
(How to submit to the Open Directory Project, n.d.)
Social media now directly influences search rankings
SEOMoz highlighted that Google’s search results are now being adjusted on a per-person basis depending on the searcher’s social connections. Important because
- Influencers who have large social networks are no longer just spreading word of mouth, they’re now causing search engine adjustments (at least on Google and Bing) based on what they share.
- “#1 ranking for a keyword” on Google is less meaningful now if the #1 is displaced by social sharing influence. My #1 for a search term will be significantly different than yours because we follow different people.
- If you’re marketing something, there’s now a direct incentive to build your network as large as possible among your prospective customers. Size matters.
Search engine issues
- Dec 2, 2010: Google Changes Its Rank Algorithm In Response To DecorMyEyes Story. Where negative attention online and complaint links from customer service sites like Get Satisfaction can actually be a benefit to business (Tsotsis, 2010).
Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo! in June 2011 launched schema.org, an initiative aimed at creating and supporting common ways to represent Web page metadata. The project offers Web publishers the tools needed to make Web pages easier for search engines to understand. "With schema.org, site owners can improve how their sites appear in search results not only on Google, but on Bing, Yahoo!, and potentially other search engines as well in the future," says Google fellow Ramanathan Guha. Schema.org hosts definitions for HTML tags that Webmasters can use for data markup. Schema.org is similar to sitemaps.org, an XML-based schema that helps search engines navigate Web sites, which was created by Google in 2005 and subsequently supported by Microsoft and Yahoo!. Schema.org solves some of the limitations of automated data analysis. "Automated data extraction is great when it works, but it can be error prone because different sites can represent the same information in so many different ways," according to the schema.org Web site.
- SEO Tools (2006) - Search Engine Optimization Tools
- 18 Most Valuable SEO WordPress Plugins, Skyje (2011) 
- Edwards, V. (2013) SEO Basics: 8 Essentials When Optimizing Your Site Retrieved from http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2259693/seo-basics-8-essentials-when-optimizing-your-site
- Karch, M. (2009) How to Improve Your Website's Google Ranking. About.com. Retrieved October 3, 2009 from http://google.about.com/od/searchengineoptimization/qt/improverank.htm
- ODP - Open Directory Project(2009)Netscape. Retrieved October 27, 2009 from http://www.dmoz.org/
- How to submit to the Open Directory Project - A Promotion Guide (n.d.). Retrieved October 27, 2009 from http://www.apromotionguide.com/submit_open_directory.html
- Penn, C. (2011) Social media now directly influences search rankings. Retrieved from http://www.christopherspenn.com/2011/06/social-media-now-directly-influences-search-rankings/
- Tsotsis, A. (2010) Google Changes Its Rank Algorithm In Response To DecorMyEyes Story. Retrieved December 2, 2010 from http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/01/googl/
- Claburn, T. (2011, Jun 3) Google, Microsoft, Yahoo Back Search Metadata Project, InformationWeek (06/03/11) Retrieved from http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/webdev/229900164
- SEO Tools (2006) Search Engine Optimization Tools Retrieved April 29, 2010 from http://www.webconfs.com/
- Most Valuable SEO WordPress Plugins (2011). Retrieved from http://skyje.com/2011/04/seo-wordpress/