Talk:EDSLIONS/weekly discussions/May 30, 2010

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Thread titleRepliesLast modified
Closing remarks617:27, 30 May 2010
AOB2617:21, 30 May 2010
Assignment 923P516:43, 30 May 2010
Assignment 921M216:41, 30 May 2010
922N assignmnet 22216:38, 30 May 2010
Summary fro 922 assignment 2516:36, 30 May 2010
Quorum616:11, 30 May 2010
«no subject»116:01, 30 May 2010

Closing remarks

Dear Lions, thanks for sharing your views it is important that we all know how each one of us is feeling. Let's keep focus and trying to get the data to understnd what has happened so it is not repeated. I will have to mention that the wikichat must have the contribution of all Lions. Wishing you all a great week at work, and looking forward to chat with you during the next week.--Luisaserra 17:11, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)17:11, 30 May 2010

Thanks Luisa. This was very good progress.

Victor.mensah (talk)17:15, 30 May 2010

Wishing all a successful week.

Akachi Ngwu (talk)17:27, 30 May 2010
 

enjoy the week ahead...

Kay go (talk)17:17, 30 May 2010
 

wait..wait..wait..did we agree to the Hove suggestion? all assignments done and ready for critique at study school?

Kay go (talk)17:21, 30 May 2010

yes, that was on my email I sent on Friday for thinking--Luisaserra 17:23, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)17:23, 30 May 2010

oh excellent!

Kay go (talk)17:25, 30 May 2010
 
 
 

Lions, is there any other concersn or issues you need to rai se please let's do so--Luisaserra 16:40, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:40, 30 May 2010

it's cold in Southern Africa lady and gentlemen, please ensure to bring your warmest clothing...be warned

Kay go (talk)16:43, 30 May 2010

Will do. Thanks

Victor.mensah (talk)17:06, 30 May 2010
 

We need to address the lackadaisical attitude of all group members towards making contributions to assignments.

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:44, 30 May 2010

Any sugestions?--Luisaserra 16:45, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:45, 30 May 2010

We may need to refer back to our group charter, which i think is our group code of conduct

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:46, 30 May 2010

Akachi, we can all read the group charter, but what I am asking is a very simple questions, how are we going to deal with this attitude, do we penalise people on the contribution mark? Do I talk to them once and if nothing improves the Lion memebr gets penalised? Do we discuss the contribution at the wiki so the team members know it is a vote from the team, what are the sugestions on how to deal with this, I would like to hear from you and from other members--Luisaserra 16:50, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:50, 30 May 2010

Are we still together with the rest of the team or else they have signed out already. We need to agree or disagree on the way forward here.

Hove (talk)16:55, 30 May 2010
 

i refered us to the group charter because it is clearly stated that none contribution attracts penalty, so we amy need to begin to enforce it on members.

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:55, 30 May 2010
 

Good questions Luisa. But sometimes, although members may contribute to the assignment, the main problem would have been fundamental - not understanding the question in the first place. I suggest that all team put aside some time to thoroughly discuss the assignment question even before developing the SOW. Perhaps, that may help.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:55, 30 May 2010
 

at times its pressure from all angles that disables potent contributions to other sub-groups assignment. pressure from work, home as well as from the assigned assignment. the spirit would be willing but the flesh would be weak...trying to balance it all out is where i have the challenge...

Kay go (talk)16:54, 30 May 2010

So waht do we do in those circunstances? how fair is it, if someone tells me that the son is sick? or there are riots for a month in the town, etc? how do we do it.--Luisaserra 17:04, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)17:04, 30 May 2010
 
 

Lets start all the assignments now and by the time we go to the study school all assignments should be ready for up-loading. At study school we should focus on critically analysing all the assignmnets before we up-load. What do you think guys? We need to agree on this.

Hove (talk)16:52, 30 May 2010

Hove, I have no problem with that, let's meet deadlines, let's participate in the discussions, but whoever is not doing that waht are we going to do about it?--Luisaserra 16:57, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:57, 30 May 2010
 

i agree with Hove, there are certain things that Wiki can not acheive, let us start all and come equipped to critically analyse all assignments at study school. its a bit too late to enforce anything now lets rather use our enegies productively...

Kay go (talk)17:03, 30 May 2010
 
 

WE have learnt a lesson the bad way so we need to wake up from our slumber immediately. Remember guys we do not know the results of other assignments otherwise it could be worse than what we have seen so far. The major problem could be lack of input from other group members as such our assignments are too shallow and lack the in-depth data needed. Thats what i think.

Hove (talk)16:49, 30 May 2010

I very personally believe the expectations around assignments have changed, these have less pages and the lecturers expect you to get to a certain level of thinking that we are not doing. That is why I have sent an email to Marianne about the statistics and if the lecturers can post what the expecations were on the assignments--Luisaserra 16:53, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:53, 30 May 2010

Its not too late now what is needed is a team spirit. How did we manage last year. Our thinking in our respective groups is myopic as such we do not have differing views hence our failure to rise to the occassion. Lets start to critise and make contributions to all assignments as a group.

Hove (talk)16:59, 30 May 2010

agreed, some of the stuff is not in the books anymore--Luisaserra 17:08, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)17:08, 30 May 2010
 
 
 
 
 

Assignment 923P

Can the group doing this assignmnet inform the progress please? Hove and Victor

Luisaserra (talk)16:32, 30 May 2010

Hove has circulated the SOW and we have no qualms with it. we just need to share it with the rest of the group!

Kay go (talk)16:36, 30 May 2010
 

Ladies and gentlemen we have already circulated our SOW between ourselves and we are already working on it. Our plan is to have the first draft latest by the 24th of June 2010. Also we have planned to have all our assignments ready to up-load before the 19th of July such that when we will be at study school we all ctitique them as much as we can and later make all the necessary changes before the due date.

Hove (talk)16:36, 30 May 2010

Exactly. We have all accepted the SOW and working towards it. Hove, kindly share the SoW with the rest of the team. Perhaps, they might even have comments on it for us at this stage.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:38, 30 May 2010

I have emailed to everyone a few minutes ago. Guys the 2nd part of the assignment would be require all members to interview an expartriate manager in their respective countries of residents so we will need you assistance with regards to this. Kago will email some format of the interview anytime soon.

Hove (talk)16:43, 30 May 2010
 

thanks for the progress --Luisaserra 16:41, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:41, 30 May 2010
 
 

Assignment 921M

Can the sub group doing this assignmnet update on the progress? Jeremiah or Akachi--Luisaserra 16:31, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:31, 30 May 2010

Evelyn is the lead and I havent heard from her. What I can promise is to drop her an email, check when she will issue the SOW. I will encourage that she copies the group so that people keep track of progress.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:39, 30 May 2010

Thnaks for the update, let's have some more solid progress by next wiki

Luisaserra (talk)16:41, 30 May 2010
 
 

922N assignmnet 2

I have sent an email, regarding this assignmnet. We need to make a call. The latest update is that the financial information fro Tiger brands is available at their website. So in principle we can go for this assignmnet. Please let's have your comments or concerns--Luisaserra 15:58, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)15:58, 30 May 2010

Just read your email now. the suggestions from shumi, Jc & Evelyn are all good. but we need to look at the available information and if it addresses the assignment. Can we talk to the risk department of the suggested companies as the assignment requires? It will make the work a lot easier if you are able to get a reliable company in Uganda, since you are leading the assignment with shumi and shungu

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:06, 30 May 2010

Evelyn has sent an email to Shumi, stating she can get that meeting, I have been on the tigerbrand wesite and the financial info available with investor presentation is from 2002. The good thing here is that it is a South African company that operates in a South Africa enviroment and is listed,it will be more difficult for the lecturer to use a Uganda company. My new divisional manager is from Tiger brands and he is still an nonexecutive member of the board of Tiger brands, you can go on the website and is clearly stated, I will also get his critique on this assignment--Luisaserra 16:09, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:09, 30 May 2010

Then we can go ahead with Tiger brands

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:12, 30 May 2010

I think we should have two alternatives. Tiger Brands and the Ugandan one.

Hove (talk)16:18, 30 May 2010

The Ugandan one can be the plan B then.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:30, 30 May 2010
 
 

Thanks Luisa. Looks like we are heading toward Tiger arent we?

Victor.mensah (talk)16:14, 30 May 2010

I need to have everyone confortable with this decision, let's see where Jeremiah stands. Unfortunately Kaygo is not in the wiki and Shungu and Hove after logging in has been silent--Luisaserra 16:20, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:20, 30 May 2010

i've read all the comments on Tigerbrand it seems the relevant information is at arms reach,so lets proceed with it! sorry i'm late i just came in from the cattlepost!

Kay go (talk)16:26, 30 May 2010
 
 

Yeah,

Evelyn mentioned that she does have a couple of contacts in Tiger. I hope she can get us the interview

--Shumimlingo 16:16, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:16, 30 May 2010

With MBL922 i think we both agree that we will use Tiger Brands and Evelyn will have to organise a meeting with Tiger Brands guys during or before study school. I think we should continue to the next agenda since we have a lot to be covered.

Hove (talk)16:28, 30 May 2010
 
 
 

Luisa,

I have seen the financials of Tiger Brands on their website for the past 7 years. Am concerned though on the stock price information. I believe we will need frequent stock price data for Tiger ie Daily stock prices for 7 years. I do not think that info is on the website. I've checked JSE....still checking. --Shumimlingo 16:06, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:06, 30 May 2010

I believe this should be available info for investors we just need to find a way of getting it. I know Evelyn is not in the wiki today but we will have to contact her.--Luisaserra 16:12, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:12, 30 May 2010

But we need to find a way to set up a meeting with the company. It can be a conference call or something of similar sort.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:16, 30 May 2010

Jeremiah, that is the email Evelyn sent, she said she can get that meeting for us, if it is a conference call or back at the study school we need to look at those possibilities, beacuse now the dates for the assignments have changed--Luisaserra 16:18, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:18, 30 May 2010

That's good if we can get that done by Evelyn.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:19, 30 May 2010
 

I am getting confused about all these changes but it looks to me that one very good opportunity would be for the team to meet like the Friday b4 study school to interview the officer and even have a better feel of the company (if possible).

Victor.mensah (talk)16:20, 30 May 2010
 
 

I suggest we give a week or so timeline on obtaining the stock data....in principle i agree with Tiger Brands but obtaining stock data its a deal breaker on this one. Usually stock brokers would have this info. Perhaps Evelyn could assist with some stock broker contacts.... --Shumimlingo 16:19, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:19, 30 May 2010
 

I agree with Shumi, have also checked on the website, and seem not able to see the stock p[rice over the past 7 yrs.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:13, 30 May 2010
 

Shumi, I do not know much about stock exchange, specially being born and bred in Mozambique a country with a socialist orienation for more that 20 years, but I believe if I want to invest I need to have share prices and histortical data, how can I get that on the stock exchange?--Luisaserra 16:16, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:16, 30 May 2010

Luisa, The people who assist investors are the various stock broker companies. They keep a record of share prices and performance etc. The Stock Exchange will also have info. --Shumimlingo 16:25, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:25, 30 May 2010

share prices are open and available information to investors i do not think we should have difficulties getting the share prices for Tiger brands

Akachi Ngwu (talk)16:38, 30 May 2010
 
 
 
 

Summary fro 922 assignment 2

Lions the way forward from what I see is the following: 1, Luisa and Evelyn to get the share price history for Tiger brands. 2 Shumi to meet the Uganda Stock exchange and see if he can get locally share prices and financial information for alocal Ugandan company. An email will be sent during the week with the progress and the final decision.--Luisaserra 16:29, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:29, 30 May 2010

Agreed. Good plan of action.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:30, 30 May 2010
 

Well supported by me

Hove (talk)16:30, 30 May 2010
 

ok with me. --Shumimlingo 16:31, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:31, 30 May 2010
 

i share the same vision

Kay go (talk)16:31, 30 May 2010
 

This seems to be a good summary. Thanks.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:36, 30 May 2010
 

This is our first meeting after the recess for the tests. You are all welcome. Please indicate your presence by replying to this.

Victor.mensah (talk)15:51, 30 May 2010

Dear Lions, Nice to be back on the wikichat,we have a lot of work ahead of us. Looking forward to our discussions--Luisaserra 15:53, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)15:53, 30 May 2010
 

Dear Lions,

Happy new year. online for the chart

Akachi Ngwu (talk)15:58, 30 May 2010
 

Lions, good to hear from you after a long break. --Shumimlingo 16:03, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:03, 30 May 2010
 

Shungu has apologised, she is out of town--Luisaserra 16:06, 30 May 2010 (UTC)

Luisaserra (talk)16:06, 30 May 2010

Hi Lions, I am online.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:11, 30 May 2010
 
 

«no subject»

Hi Guys iam online. Hope i find you all well.

Hove (talk)15:51, 30 May 2010