Day 1: Wednesday, Week 1
Objectives: Be bold, try an edit!
Today we will:
- Make an edit on your user page and introduce ourselves the wiki way
- Introduce Rich Text Editing (WYSIWYG) and compare this with standard wiki text;
- Learn about the published mode and editing mode in a wiki;
You know what they say: You can't learn to swim without getting into the water.
|Watch this introductory video and then read through the overview below.
The Blip.tv service shut down in August, 2015,|
so this copy of the video is no longer available.
| Overview and instructions for Day 1|
On our first day we'll get our feet wet and make an edit in WikiEducator. Experiential learning is much more fun (when compared to doing the theory first and practising later). In this workshop we will be using a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor, which is also called Rich Text Editing (RTE). (Tip: We recommend that you open the links below in a new window or new browser tab. Move your cursor (pointer) over the link, click on your right mouse button and select open link in new tab or window. This way you will keep the instructions open in one of your browser windows.)
- If you are new to wikis, view this short video called Wikis in plain English hosted on YouTube.
- Login to WikiEducator. If you don't have an account, you should create one now.
- Work through Tutorial 3 on the basics of rich text editing
- Go to your User page, click on the edit link. Type something in the edit window and save your text. (If you're lost for words -- try "Hallo world!")
- Please introduce yourself to the group by posting to our wiki forum. Don't be noticed by your absence!
- If you have any questions or need a little help, just ask us. Remember the WikiEducator motto: Just try it. Our community will support you!