4TH FACE TO FACE WORKSHOP REPORT
- 1 Workshop Dates and Facilitator contacts
- 2 Acknowledgments
- 3 Workshop overview
- 4 Venue
- 5 Participants
- 6 Workshop Proceedings
- 7 Lessons Learnt
- 8 Recommendations
- 9 Photos
Workshop Dates and Facilitator contacts
The workshop ran for 3 days from 30th-Nov 2nd Dec 2009
The facilitator wishes to express profound appreciation to the following without whom this workshop would not have been possible:-
- OERF for the sponsorship of the workshop.
- The Headteacher of Gayaza High School who accepted to host the workshop despite heavy staff duties.
This was the 4th face-to-face L4C workshop in our country Uganda.It brought participantsfrom 3 different schools. Unlike in earlier workshops,this one had both partcicpants who were new to wiki skills and those who previously had experience in wiki syntax and already had accounts on WikiEducator. Day 1 was therefore used to bring on board the new partipants by getting basic wiki skills. Day 2 and 3 were then used to introduce every participant to OERUG and content creation.
The venue of the workshop was Gayaza High School, computer lab
In all there were 14 participants, Of these,3 were females and 11 males.
|LAST NAME||FIRST NAME||GENDER||ORGANIZATION||PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATION||USER PAGE||LEARNING CONTRACT|
|Kizza||Vincent||Male||Gayaza High School||Facilitator||User:vkizza||Signed|
|Nanfuka||Elna||Female||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:Nanfuka|
|Ntalo||Robert||Male||Gayaza High School||TD Teacher||User:NTALO ROBERT|
|Omutujju||Ronald||Male||Our Lady SS||Teacher||User:Romutujju|
|Kizito||Sam||Male||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:skizito|
|Bagambisa||Festo||Male||Our Lady SS||Teacher||User:Bagambisa_Festo|
|Kayongo||Micheal||Male||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:Mkayongo|
|Kuteesa||Joy||Female||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:Kuteesa_joy|
|Omutujju||Ronald||Male||Our Lady of good Counsel||Teacher||User:Romutujju|
|Kuteesa||Elizabeth||Female||Gayaza High School||Teacher||[[User:]]|
|Ddungu||Ronald||Male||Gayaza High School||Deputy Head teacher||User:Ronaldddungu|
|Kyakoonye||Richard||Male||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:kyaks|
|Bakebwa||Nathan||Male||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:Bakeebwa_Nathan|
|Chebet||Milton||Male||Gayaza High School||Teacher||User:Miltonchebet|
Day 1: Objectives
The objectives of the day were to introduce participants to:-
- WikiEducator and OERF and OERUG
- Web 2.0 Technologies
- Setting up a WE account
- WikiMedia editing and formatting
Day 1: Proceedings
The day stated a bit late at 9:30am instead of the scheduled 8:00am because of the late reporting of many participants. However the day later picked pace and all planned activities were carried out as per the days time table.
Day 1: Achievements
By the end of the day,participants were able to:-
- Acquaint themselves with WE and OERF
- Open acounts on WE
- Do basic editing and formatting.
Days 2 and 3: Objectives
The objectives of days 2 and 3 were:-
- Take stock of acquired skills in Day 1
- Create and link pages.
- Insert images and other file types.
- Colaborative page editing and interactions
- Some content creation
- Pedagogical templates
- Wiki strucures and free content
Days 2 and 3: Proceedings
- Typically,each of the days started with a 30- min practical session to finish off assignments from previous day.
- Folowed by a recap of the previous day's work through an out door flash light session
- Introduction to OERUG
- Pedagogical and navigation templates
Days 2 and 3: Achievements
- Late coming can be curbed with mutual agreement with the particpants about time of start and end of workshop
- Time for acquiring basic computer literacy has to be factored in the planning.
- A low cost dial-up connection should be put in place as a risk mitagation strategy in case the normal channel is disrupted as is usually the case
- The workshops can also be take place during term time when the schools are on unlike only in the holidays as previously believed.
- Editing with open office be encouraged during the workshops CDs with it be distributed other than downloads because bandwidth is small.
- Meetings for national teams be organised soon to help with technical support and way forward.
- Participants to take ownership of their school's pages and act as ambassadors