Community Media/Waiheke Island
About Waiheke Radio
The Waiheke Community Radio Trust has established Waiheke Radio as a not-for-profit, community radio service for Waiheke Island. This service will provide radio programming that reflects the unique character and needs of the Waiheke community. In addition the service will offer facilities, advice, training and technical support for Waiheke people to make and broadcast their own radio programmes.
Waiheke's population has distinct and diverse needs and interests arising from the island's geographical isolation, the mix of rural and suburban lifestyle and broad demographic range. Auckland based stations do not cater for these particular needs.
The Waiheke Community Radio Trust aims to provide a not-for-profit community radio service that meets the needs of the Waiheke community and visitors in the following ways:
- Promoting and reporting community group activities and local events
- Waiheke event listings, community notices and cancellations
- Timely information on local incidents and events
- Broadcasting the marine weather forecast as a service to the local and visiting Maritime community
- Emergency information in the case of power cuts or weather related isolation
- Public service announcements and programmes in partnership with local groups
- Tourist information
- Recordings and performances by Waiheke musicians
- Training and production assistance particularly for school students and youth groups
- Working with local iwi in regard to tangata whenua radio needs and interests
- Archiving an audio history of Waiheke Island
- Providing internet broadcast
Waiheke Radio has just received a grant from the Waiheke Community Board to begin the "Waiheke Podcasting Project". More details soon.