Welcome to the Short Course on Water Quality & Health
This course is about Water Quality and its impact on human health. Many diseases are fast transmitted by water, and it is important for us to appreciate why and how the quality of water needs to be considered in various aspects.
This course is currently being prepared, and more information will be added to the site with time. You are encouraged to send your feedback via the Discussion forum found on each page (top menu bar).
The objectives of this course are:
- To create an awareness of what is meant by the term Water Quality
- How and to what extent Water Quality affects the health of consumers
- What countries do to ensure that water of good quality is provided to consumers
- What are the water related diseases and to what extent they can harm the health
This course does not require the reader to have any prior knowledge about the subject, Water Quality or Water related Diseases
For further information about the topic you may wish to visit the web sites of the following organisations:
- USGS (US)
- EPA (US)
- Environmental Agency (UK)
At the end of the course, the user will be able to:
- Define the term potable or wholesome water
- List water borne and water washed diseases
- Explain how water borne and water washed diseases are transmitted
- Differentiate between Water quality Guidelines and Water Quality Standards
- Appreciate why different countries have different water quality standards
- Explain how water quality is monitored within a water supply network
The user is advise to consult the section of Some Useful Information for a clearer understanding of the topic being discussed.
To move to the next page, use the top menu bar in the short course.