|Theory||Definitions | Hardware | Software | Uses|
Multimedia presents information by stimulating multiple senses.
Studies have shown that interactive multimedia improves information retention; people retain 10 percent of what they see, 20 percent of what they hear, 50 percent of what they see and hear, and 80 percent of what they see, hear, and do (Fletcher, 1990).
For more about multimedia see Wikipedia:Multimedia(2009)
By the end of this page you will be able to:
- Multimedia enabled PCs really came into existence in the early 1990s, and availability increased as the computers graphical capabilities improved. CD-ROMs and increased internal memory and Hard Disk storage allowed PCs to shift from text based to graphically based.
- In the mid 1990’s the number of multimedia PC’s grew as follows
- 1993: 4.5 million
- 1995 10.6 million (introduction of Windows 95)
- With the adoption of the internet multimedia enabled PC’s has become standard.
- Around 2010 saw a surge of portable multimedia devices, fueled particularly by the iPhone and now spread to tablets, smart phones, smart TVs.
- Multimedia has become integrated into our devices and our lives
Multimedia can be distributed in a variety of ways:
- Magnetic (Hard, Floppy disk & Memory Stick)
- Digital media (CD-ROM, DVD, Blu-ray)
- Electronic (Internet)
- 1997. Need 4 Speed II (Wikipedia:Need_for_Speed_II, 2007)
- 2005: Need for Speed Most Wanted. http://www.eaplay.com/australia/games/pc/nfs/mostwanted/
Design and aesthetics can be very personal. This page presents some examples (and links to examples) highlighting good and bad design (Note web examples have a habit of changing!)
Flash enabled Web Sites
- The Phantom of the Opera. (Warner Bros Entertainment, 2004) 
Cold fusion web site, with Flash frontend
- Harry Potter (Rowling, 2004)
- Note the intro page links to the flash enabled JK Rowling desktop. If you have popups disabled a page asking you to turn on the popups then re-enter the site... just click on re-enter the site and it will still work..
- Experience Beck Live Beck says “Hello Again” to David Bowie's 'Sound and Vision'. Your patience will be rewarded with a Flash masterpiece. Headphones recommended.
- Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2010(ebizmba,2010).
- Turbochef Technologies (2007) Probably the fastest oven in the world and a very cool website. .
- Alex Frank (2005) An imaginary research institute, analyzing peoples clicking behavior. Very interesting. .
- Test your Agile Mind(Deutsche Bank, n.d.) Some games to test your mind (spatial, memory, construction, etc)
- 30 Fresh Examples of Single Page Websites(Muller, 2011) (Actually a single page from the web sites)
- ecodazoo (McCann Erickson Japan, Inc, 2006) A single page web site with a flash movie for 8 - 12 year olds - 3D storybook.
- Tracta 2012 A Service Agency Uses flash to give a "frames" like structure
- Whittakers Chocolate(2010).
- Comments: a Minneapolis-based company that believes in the power of simplicity.
- http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/arts-entertainment/2010/07/50-face-numbingly-bad-websites.html - Photos examples of 50 badly designed web pages.
- http://dokimos.org/ajff/ - An "interesting" design - lots of animation!!
- Fletcher, D. (1990) Effectiveness and cost of interactive videodisc instruction in defense training and education. Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) Report Number IDA Paper P-2372
- Wikipedia:Multimedia(2009). Multimedia. Retrieved July 20, 2009 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia
- Wikipedia (2007) Need for Speed II. Retrieved November 20, 2007 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed_II
- Warner Bros Entertainment (2004) The Phantom of the Opera. Retrieved February 13, 2005 from http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/
- Rowling, J. K.(2004) Harry Potter . Retrieved February 13, 2005 from http://www.jkrowling.com/
- ebizmba (2010)Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2010. Retrieved August 2, 2010 from http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-flash-sites
- Turbochef Technologies (2010) Retrieved August 4, 2010 from http://theovenreinvented.com/
- Alex Frank Retrieved August 4, 2010 from http://dontclick.it//
- Deutsche Bank (n.d.) Test your Agile Mind. Retrieved March 9, 2011 from http://www.db.com/careers/content/en/test_your_agile_mind.htm
- Muller, G. (2011) 30 Fresh Examples of Single Page Websites. Retrieved March 16, 2011 from http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/30-fresh-examples-of-single-page-websites
- McCann Erickson Japan, Inc. (2006). Ecodaidobutsuen. Retrieved 16 March, 2011, from: http://ecodazoo.com/
- Whittakers Chocolate - Since 1896 (n.d.). Retrieved August 4, 2009 from http://www.whittakers.co.nz/
- AgencyNet (2010) Retrieved August 3, 2010 from http://www.agencynet.com/
- Mono (2010) Retrieved August 31, 2010 from http://mono-1.com/
- Greenfield, Jimmy(2010) Fifty face numbingly bad websites. Retrieved 3 August 2010 from http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/arts-entertainment/2010/07/50-face-numbingly-bad-websites.html/