6. Midterm - Millennium Development Goals
MIDTERM - a research assignment, discussion, MidTerm Millennium Development Goals quiz
- learn about the current situations of the most needy people around the world
- consider the impact of technology on reaching global development goals
- research progress mode to date
- discuss work currently underway around the world
- global, society, development, non-government organization (NGO), goals, humanitarian, equity, access
- Who is identifying the most important problems that need to be solved?
- How are goals set? How is progress measured?
- Are the goals being met?
- How are technologies - specifically computers and the internet contributing to meeting the goals?
- How can you help?
- UNESCO unveils a new fact sheet on girls’ education today ahead of International Women’s Day. The data is published as part of the #H...
- The Sustainable Development Goals are a call for action by all countries – poor, rich and middle-income – to promote prosperity while...
- "The risk-to-opportunity platform is organized according to the United Nations’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Click on SDG 2,...
<p class="diigo-tags"><strong>Tags:</strong> <a href='https://www...
- using technology that is already widely available for free and using it to the advantage of many. Some of these videos are even distribu...
- Google’s efforts to launch satellites to provide Internet to developing countries to improve education and give them more access to inf...
- Today, over 4.3 billion people cannot connect to the Internet at all and another roughly 1 billion people have their Internet connections...
- "Villagers in Walumbe, Uganda access safe water from a solar-powered filtration system provided by Water Missions International, a S...
- "Reduce by three quarters, between 1990 and 2015, the maternal mortality ratio, Achieve, by 2015, universal access to reproductive h...
- "Develop further an open, rule-based, predictable, non-discriminatory trading and financial system"Address the special needs of...
MidTerm - Millennium Development Goals (MDG)
You have been researching and commenting on the role of computers and the internet on social issues that are important to us here in the developed areas of the world - countries with cities, internet access, stable governments, courts of law, regulations, good healthcare and education systems. However, there are large populations throughout the world that do not share these benefits.
The United Nations has defined U.N. Millennium Development Goals to bring attention to the problems that face a significant proportion of the world's population, and direct resources and innovation to resolving them. The UN renewed commitments to achieving the Millennium Development Goals by 2015 and to set out concrete plans and practical steps for action.
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Develop a global partnership for development
You can help! For the MidTerm project, learn about and report on how computers, the internet and technology are being used to change the lives of these people. Then you will suggest ideas for resolving these problems.
- Pick one of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG).
- Find three (3) resources that describe the work of groups trying to solve one of the Millennium Goals using technology. How will technology help meet the Millennium Development Goal that you investigated? What worked? Why was it successful? Be sure to include specific examples. Look through the MDG success stories to get some ideas. Only one of your resources can come directly from this site.
Many other organizations are encouraging innovative technology solutions such as Grand Challenges for Engineering, The Tech Awards, Engineers Without Borders
- Post links to your selections, along with a brief description of the impact this work has in solving the MDG, how technology is being used in this effort and a discussion question to the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) discussion topic for your selected MDG goal.
- Participate in the discussion topics for each of the Millennium Development Goals. Ask questions. Provide additional sources of information. Learn more about each of the goals, why they are important and what is being done about each MDG that showcases the use of technology.
- Add links to your three research resources, along with a brief description of the impact this work has in solving the MDG and your ideas to solve the problem with technology to the CIS2 MDG page in the section for your selected goal.
- Imagine that you have the resources to create and provide any technology. What MDG goal could be reached?
* ASK - What is the goal? Why is this goal important? Who is being helped?
* IMAGINE - How could technology be used to help reach this goal? Use your imagination. Come up with some technology solution that will make a difference.
Post a brief description (2-3 sentences)of your solution to the MDG Solutions and Technology.
- For the Millennium Development Goal that you researched, what questions do you have about the benefits to mankind that technology has brought to the world? What problems might be caused by technology? Ask 2-3 questions and describe why you think we should be wondering about the answers to these questions now? Submit this as your I wonder... assignment.
2013.09.23 - page accessed 608 times. 2015.6.23 - 1117