6. Midterm - Grand Challenges
MIDTERM - a research assignment, discussion, MidTerm quiz
- learn about the current challenges to benefit humanity now and in the future
- consider the impact of technology on reaching global challenges
- research progress made to date
- discuss work currently underway around the world
- global, society, development, non-government organization (NGO), goals, humanitarian, equity, access
- Who is identifying the most important problems that need to be solved?
- How are challenges set? How is progress measured?
- Are the goals being met?
- How are technologies - specifically computers and the internet contributing to meeting the challenges?
- How can you help?
MidTerm - Grand Challenges
You have been researching and commenting on the role of computers and the internet on social issues that are important to us here in the developed areas of the world - countries with cities, internet access, stable governments, courts of law, regulations, good healthcare and education systems. However, there are large populations throughout the world that do not share these benefits.
The XPRIZE challenge focus areas bring attention to the problems that face the world's population now and in the future, and direct resources and innovation to resolving them. Although these are presented to solicit designs for future prizes, we can research relevant technologies and solutions now.
You can help!
For the MidTerm project, learn about and report on how computers, the internet and technology are being used to provide solutions for these challenge focus areas. Then suggest ideas for resolving these problems.
NOTE: You will be saving your information in the WikiEducator wiki and our Canvas course discussions.
** You will NOT be contributing directly to the HeroX wiki - that is for reference only.
- Pick one of the Grand Challenges. See CIS2 Grand Challenges topics for this project. Indicate your pick in the Grand Challenges discussion for your choice. If you don't have a personal interest in a specific challenge, pick one with the least "votes" so we learn something about all these important challenges.
- Project - What is the current status of work on the Challenge you selected? How will technology help meet the Challenge that you investigated? What worked? Why was it successful? Research the topic to find answers to these questions. Cite at least three (3) resources that describe the work of groups trying to solve the Challenges you selected using technology. Be sure to include specific examples. Look through the wiki page for the challenge you selected to get some ideas.
- Publish to WikiEducator links to your research resources, along with a brief description of the impact this work has in solving the Challenge and your ideas to solve the problem with technology for EACH of your selected resources to your own WikiEducator User page. (not your Talk page)
Refer to Help:Editing pages and WikiEducator HELP
- Then add your information to the CIS2 Grand Challenges page in the section for your selected challenge.
Identify your work by making it a subsection in the Challenge section with your name as the title (your name with 2='s on each side starting on a new line.
- Post the link to your name heading and work to the Grand Challenges discussion to confirm that you have added your challenge information to the WikiEducator page. Include a brief (2-3 sentence) general SUMMARY of YOUR research and your understanding of this challenge.
- Participate in the discussion topics for each of the Grand Challenges. Review the actual project description and resources in WikiEducator as well as the summary in the discussion. Ask questions. Provide additional sources of information. Learn more about each of the challenges, why they are important and what is being done about each that showcases the use of technology.
- Grand Challenges for Engineering discussion - There are many OTHER challenges and technologies to provide solutions. Grand Challenges for Engineering identifies some important ones. What are some that interest you? Is it the problem or the technology possibilities? Does the technology exist to address these challenges? Application? Scalability? Sustainability? What is the hold-up? Find 2-3 resources that address other concerns not already covered by the Challenge projects. Post links and a question about each to the discussion.
- Project Groups Discussions - Your score will be based on your participation and contributions to the group. Do let me know if you get stuck and need clarification on how these groups should function. Every one is different. That’s part of the learning experience. Check your participation in your Project Groups Discussions. If you have been participating, great. You can go back to previous activities and contribute if you have missed some.
- Questionable benefits - For the Challenge that you researched, what questions do you have about the benefits to mankind that technology has brought (and can bring) to the world? What problems might be caused by technology? Ask 2-3 questions and describe why you think we should be wondering about the answers to these questions now? How would you find answers? Suggest ways to answer these questions. Submit this as your I wonder... assignment.
Editing Help pages and tutorials for Wikis
These are a few examples. For the Grand Challenges Mid Term project, you have to find your own resources.
- " Catherine Rakama recently began working with refugees in the largest camp in the world, Dadaab in Garissa County, Kenya, to build refugees’ skills in coding, app development, and human-cen...
- The US reaffirms its commitment to ensure girls across Afghanistan have access to the knowledge and skills they need to build a better future for themselves , their families, their communities and...
- clean water. As a first world country we always put enough thought into the topic. In third world counties, this is an everyday problem which we as a society should help put efforts into fixing....
- breakthroughs are going on at the Max-Planck Institutes, located all over Germany. It also explains why we need to pursue fusion energy if we are to sustain a growing population.
- 2016.6 594 . 2018.6 2196