Community Service Learning
Serving in the community and connecting academic learning with life experiences are important themes that are receiving considerable attention these days. We have a new program to offer Community Service Learning credit along with academic credit for our courses. As one of the early adopters AND teaching an entirely online course, these guidelines are applicable to the WikiEducator community. I am including my resources and observations here in a sharable format with global distribution. How cool is that!
In planning the Community Service Learning project for my online class, these topics needed to be addressed.
- student learning outcomes
- community partners / agencies
- reflection and feedback
We are exploring providing community service learning experience to online communities.
- Community service learning student guidelines - Guidelines being used for the current semester. Evolving as we gain experience with integrating community service learning into an online course.
My students are lower division taking a general education credit course called Computers and the Internet in Society.
Projects for students' participation
- identify as open to student participation, contributions
- linked, easy to find
- benefits to recipient organization of work, use that will be made of student work
- include instructions about work to be done
- work can be done by students
SLOs - Student learning outcomes
learning objectives and outcomes
Community partners / agencies
Finding organizations with projects suitable for online community service learning, is an ongoing project.
- project service selection criteria - all work online, "volunteering" is managed through or by the organization, training or guidelines provided, work units appropriate for student time commitment
- institutional partnerships - developed by the college for in-person community service learning
- instructor relationship - reviewed online opportunities
- screening student-selected organizations - same criteria as instructor selected
relating service to curriculum
college requirements for credit and articulation
time sheets, work logs
product or deliverable
agency supervisor report
Reflection and feedback
prompts for reflection to help students connect service and curriculum
student observations about community agency
feedback from students to the community agency
surprises and unintended consequences
Community Service Learning Project Proposal / Summary
As this is a new program, we are looking for suggestions that can be used to streamline the process to accommodate many more students participating in Community Service Learning Projects.
Let me know if you have any questions about these requirements.
- Community and Civic Engagement - how you can participate and benefit from our program.
- Community Engagement Handbook
- Community Service Learning Project Proposal and Summary
- Obama, Powell Promote Community Service on King Holiday Weekend, January 9, 2009
- Corporation for National & Community Services, USA
As it happens
--Vtaylor 15:39, 24 May 2008 (UTC) workshop yesterday - new program in place with resources, community partners, course schedule official designation for fall 2008, community service learning hours will be included on students' transcripts, lots of other higher ed community service learning credits awarded / required including SJSU and SFSU
- This is a powerful concept and very relevant to our work in WikiEducator. What kind of things does the community service learning curriculum plan to cover? --Wayne Mackintosh 15:45, 24 May 2008 (UTC)