CIS89A - 9. Beyond HTML
- understand usability
- follow design guidelines
- understand the design process
- transfer files to a web server
- understand search optimization
- usability, audience, FTP
- What types of development tools are available?
- What is GitHub? Why do developers use it?
- What are some of the basic blocks and functions?
Coding assignment * beyond HTML basics
- html head title meta (keywords description) * lists links tables * viewport
- css fluid layout * scalable images
- comments in html and css
- Review the Keywords and Reading guide questions at the top of this page. These will help you look for important ideas in the rest of assignments for this module.
- Textbook - Willard Chapter 16. HTML for Email
* If you are new to programming, write your first computer program. Hour of Code - Learn the basic concepts of Computer Science with drag and drop programming. This is a game-like, self-directed tutorial. Learn repeat-loops, conditionals, and basic algorithms.
- In the Programming discussion, write a brief description (2-3 sentences) of your programming experience. Which tutorial did you do? Do you have any prior programming experience? Would you recommend this activity to others?
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - Being "found" and listed in search results is an important part of publicizing your site. The elements in head section of the page are used for this. More than just Google, there are Baidu, Bing, and Yahoo! and others. Find an article that gives a good overview or specific advice about using these elements effectively. Post a brief summary and a link to the article in the Search Engine Optimization discussion.
- Internet of Things (IoT) - The next big thing is the Internet of Things. The articles listed in the Media section provide a great overview with lots of interesting examples in a broad range of categories. Take a look. What do you think? What is one example that is a surprise but you would like to see? Post the name and ONE sentence about your selection to the Internet of Things discussion. Conclude your post with a question. Reply to 2 others and concluded your replies with questions.
- Web developer jobs - There are many skills and roles available for web developers. Some organizations have a team of developers with different specializations. For other organizations, there may only be one person who develops the web site in addition to other responsibilities. Find 2-3 job ads for web developers. Review the job requirements. Post a link to 1-2 job descriptions and comment on what skills you have and need to develop to perform this job in the Developer jobs discussion.
- Revisit basics - In a new project, use or reuse the items listed within your page. Include some descriptive information so the viewer knows what is being demonstrated within your page. Also, use comments in your HTML code to indicate what you are doing. Publish your project file.
- Submit the link to your project to the Revisit basics assignment.
- Post a link to your project and any comments or questions about the assignment to the Revisit basics discussion.
- Review the work of 2 others - the page display and the source code. Post a note with links to those projects, and a brief description of your observations - anything that you learned from looking at these? Any ideas you have for using in your own work in the future? Post to the Revisit basics discussion.
- Data visualization - There are many different ways to display numbers and statistics. Tables are convenient but can be overwhelming. Other data displays include charts, infographics and interactive animations. Find an example for an interesting display that is an effective way to convey the information. Post a link to your selection and provide a brief description of why this is better than just a table of numbers to the Data Visualization discussion. Review 3 others and post a comment comparing effectiveness of these to the one you selected.
- Success Skills - Solve it - There are many tools available on the web to help with problem solving skills development and practice. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making are the primary focus of the articles provided. Review 2-3 articles from the Success skills - SOLVE list in the Media section below. Find another similar article that your would recommend be added to the list. Post a link and a brief summary of 1 to the Success Skills - Solve it discussion.
- Phishing - Do you think you know an email scam when you see one? Take this quiz and see if you can tell the real corporate emails to customers from the phishing scams. I got 7 out of 10 right. I missed 1 scam but I would have ignored two real requests from companies I do business with.
- eCommerce - Some of the "best" examples of web site design are the sites that sell stuff. Find a site that sells products or services online. Think about why the customer visits this site. How does the site design help the customer buy from the site? Post a link to a commercial web site with a brief description of what makes this a successful (or not) web design to the eCommerce site design discussion. Keep the description short - 2-3 sentences.
- Group Project groups discussions - Web Design - Practice evaluating web design. You have looked a several sites for this module. Pick one and evaluate the site design. What are you looking for in good web design? What have you learned about web design? How would you apply these design ideas to your own work? Provide a link to the example and brief description of the the design feature. Share with your group in the Group discussion. Are there outstanding questions? Contribute one or more posts to the discussion for the group. If you have a question about working as a group, please ask.
- Textbook - Willard Chapter 16. HTML for Email
- HTML Meta Tags - name attribute - description, author, keywords
- Text Fixer - tutorials, code creator
- 27 People Share The One Cool Internet Or Computer Trick They Know - these suggestions are not something you are going to use everyday, but it is interesting that you can do this
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
- metadata?While not a visual element on a page, its metadata—page titles and meta descriptions—shapes how your content is perceived. Web writers create metadata to summarize a webpage’s conten...
- What makes a website good will also give it a high SERP rank, but overly tricky search engine optimization can undermine the user experience.At first glance, search engine optimization (SEO) and us...
- With social media growing at warp speed, it is becoming an unavoidable part of SEO, especially because it is made up of real people. After content, social media can be seen as an integral factor in...
- Maybe you’re looking to build a website for the business you’re bootstrapping from the ground up. Maybe you’d like to enter the world of web development and are looking for an introduction to coding. Or maybe you’re just trying to stay a step ahead (or behind) your hacker kid. Whatever the case, we’ve got the resources to help you get started. Here’s a list of the 10 best web development tutorials for beginners.
- what languages/frameworks/libraries to use?” That’s exactly what we will cover today in this review of the top 10 AI frameworks and libraries every programmer must know. Artificial Intelligence...
- In computer programming, an application programming interface (API) is a set of subroutine definitions, protocols, and tools for building application software. In general terms, it is a set of clea...
- Python is powerful... and fast;plays well with others;runs everywhere;is friendly & easy to learn;is Open. Python can be easy to pick up whether you're a first time programmer or you're...
INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT)
- a team of students is piloting an innovative solution: aquaponic urban farming using the Internet of Things (IoT) to increase food self-sufficiency in Mbare. The project, led by the Internet Societ...
- Industrial internet of things (IIoT) could spur new business models that will change who owns what in the metal fabrication supply chain.They don’t pay for the engines themselves, only their use...
- how the IOT puts personal information at risk, and how dangerous that can be in the wrong hands. The real world examples are helpful and the TedTalk is enterataining as well as educational.
WEBWORK - developer jobs
- There are many places to search for jobs and internships online. Here are some places to start.April 2020 UpdateHere is a great list compiled by Candor on companies that are still hiring, or have h...
- In this video, we'll cover how to develop websites using just the computer you have already.I'm using Sublime Text editor http://www.sublimetext.com/ and Google Chrome
- There's always more than one way to handle a task and multiple ways are optimal. It takes more problem solving skills than math skills to be a good developer. Getting to the root of an issue or...
- Shopping Cart or Store PlatformThere are numerous shopping carts available to power your e-commerce store. If your site is WordPress-based, you have plenty of plugin options to sort through. You ma...
- Any payment gatewayWe support over 100 payment gateways on Shopify.If you haven’t yet chosen a payment gateway for your online store, select one of our many supported gateways that let you accept...
- technical factors eCommerce newbies should cover before they add even a single product to their new store. From site software to security to payment gateways, here they are — plus how you can dec...
- Project Manager Mimi Aung answers #AskNASA questions about NASA's newly named Mars helicopter -- Ingenuity. Ingenuity will be the first aircraft to attempt powered flight on another planet. The...
- To make sure your goal is motivating, write down why it's valuable and important to you. Goal setting is a process that starts with careful consideration of what you want to achieve, and ends w...
- five-step approach to make sure your collaborations are successful:1. Define Your PurposeFirst and foremost, you need to have a strong shared purpose. Only when you know what you're working tow...
2016.3 2540 . 2018.3 5131