Bula (boo-lah)! Greetings from the Fiji Islands. I am part Fijian and Papua New Guinean. I enjoyed growing up in both countries.
I taught Geography and social science at secondary school level in Fiji for over 5 years, serving in mainly rural schools. I then became an Instructional Designer for 3 years at a national vocational and technical institute here in Suva (the capital of Fiji). We developed print material for open and distance learning students.
It is not till I joined the University of the South Pacific as an Education Technologist have I really built an interest in online course development, using Moodle in the last 4 years.
I obtained my bachelor's degree and post-grad diploma in geography and education at the University of the South Pacific. It is always humorous to observe the technologies and facilities available to the students now compared to what it was in the late 90s when I graduated.
I will be pursuing my Masters shortly in an overseas university looking at instructional systems.
My professional interest has always been focussed on the learners' needs no matter what technologies we utilise. The job of any educator is to ensure the content is learner centred. I am also keen to look at and document best practices in teaching practical courses such as (physical) geography to be delivered online.
I do like to travel and experience different places not just abroad but also around Fiji. I like to "watch" rugby, (field) hockey, athletics and many other sports. I've taken an interest in paintings. I like to keep up to date with global issues and current affairs, as well as in the world of music- pop culture.
My wiki projects
My optional community service (learning contract) project
||By signing this optional learning contract I will try to complete my training in basic wiki editing skills to achieve the status of a Wikibuddy. In return for this free training opportunity, I will give the gift of knowledge by donating or developing at least one free content resource licensed under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY license which can be used by myself (and others) on WikiEducator.|
| Brief description of project
|| <Enter a brief description of the content resource or WikiEducator project you would like to work on here>|
| Target date for completion
|| <Specify the target date for completion --- you choose the date which can be after the completion of this workshop>.|
|| <Login and with the rich text editor click on the "Insert signature" button above: .>|
Feedback and notes from my WikiNeighbours
- Hello Evan! If would be great to hear your experiences as to what was most beneficial to you in learning the wiki skills necessary to contribute to WE. --Benjamin Stewart 13:34, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- Hello Evan! I encourage you all to visit the requirements of becoming a WikiApprentice 1 and WikiApprentice 2, as we are here to help you achieve these goals. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. --Benjamin Stewart 12:32, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you Ben for the links.
- Evan, have you given any thought as to a project you'd like to work on? --Benjamin Stewart 16:27, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Ben, is it possible to start a new project?
- Sure. Go for it! --Benjamin Stewart 17:35, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- Bula, Evan! Your user page is developing well. Perhaps you might want to develop some project ideas in the Learning Contract page. And may be once you're sure of a project, you then provide brief details in the boiler plate above. Do you think we could collaborate on a project for our own students?--Vilimaka Foliaki 21:16, 30 July 2010 (UTC)