User:Anil Prasad/Newbie help/Sub pages
I hope now you know clearly two ways to create a new page
- Simply typing the intended page name after www.wikieducator.org/ (don't forget to put the forward slash '/' )
- As an internal link using [[your new page name]] syntax
Now the question, how to create a sub page link?
Need of creating sub pages:
- Suppose you want to create a separate profile page linked to your user page. Most often what beginners do is simply typing the syntax [[My Profile]] in the edit mode of the user page and save it. A lot of people will be doing the same. All of them will be getting the same page with the url www.wikieducator.org/My_profile, which subsequently result in an "Editing War" <smile> …every one will be editing the same page from different locations at different times to make it their own Profile page.
Now, how does it happen?
- When you use the syntax [[My profile]] to create a new page/link and edit the same, the MediaWiki software will create a page directly linked to the root directory that is www.wikieducator.org and the resultant url will look like www.wikieducator.org/My_profile . This does not provide indication about whose profile it is.
How to overcome the problem?
- Now to create a sub page of the page of your interest, for example, to create your profile page as the sub page of your user page, use the syntax
- [[/My profile/]] ie two opening squire brackets- a forward slash-your intended page name-forward slash-two closing squire brackets.
- The resultant url will look like www.wikieducator.org/User:username/My_profile so that the page identity is clear.
- If you are using pipe '|' function in the syntax (to display the link in the way you like), you can avoid the last forward slash.
- Eg: [[/My profile|Anil's profile]]
Where to add the content as part of learning contract?
- Ideally speaking before creating a content page we have to search WikiEducator to see whether there is any project nodes/major topic on WE where your content would blend in. In that case you can create a sub page for your content from such project/major topic pages. As you being a newbie, to start with, add your content as a sub page of your user page. When you get familiarized to the project nodes etc you can move the content to any location you find suitable.
Hope it is clear…..