DECP 05: Developing e-Content
Video File Format
Most commonly used Video File Formats
|Video File Format||Characteristics|
(Advanced Streaming Format) (Windows Media Video)
| • Can be streamed across the Internet and viewed before entire file has been downloaded when using a Windows Media server.
• Requires Windows Media Player be installed on client. • Typically placed on an internet streaming server.
(Audio Video Interleave)
| • Can be viewed with standard Windows Players such as Windows Media Player.
• Uncompressed yields a high quality video but uses a lot of storage space. • If downloading from the Internet, the entire file must be downloaded before being played. • Typically stored on local hard disk or CDROM or made available as download from web server.
(Apple Quicktime Movie
| • Requires Apples Quicktime Movie Player
• Depending on Compression chosen can provide a very high quality video clip, but better quality uses more storage space. • Can be streamed across the Internet and viewed before entire file has been downloaded if using a Quicktime streaming server. • Can be placed both on an internet streaming server, or local storage such as hard disk or CDROM.
(Motion Pictures Experts Group)
| • Can provide VHS quality movies or better
• Mpeg1 is equal to VHS. • Mpeg2 is better than VHS and used for DVD • Mpeg4 is being developed • Requires an MPEG player to view • If downloading from the Internet, the entire file must be downloaded before being played because files sizes are very large. • Typically MPEG1 is used to make a one hour VCD movie. • Typically MPEG2 is used to make DVD movies, but can be used to make about a 30 minute high quality VCD. • Can be placed on any storage media large enough to hold the file, but at current time the internet speed will not support streaming MPEG files. Any MPEG files found on the Web will have to be downloaded to the local drive and played using an MPEG player.
| • Can be streamed across the Internet and viewed before entire file has been downloaded when using a Real Networks Streaming server.
• Has very high compression, but at a cost to quality. • Requires Real Networks RealPlayer to view content.
| • Can be streamed across the internet and viewed before entire file has been downloaded when using a real network streaming servers.
• Good compression with a very less compromise to the quality. • Supports in-built MP3 audio compression helps reduce physical size of audio channel. • On2 VP6, Sorenson Spark, Screen video, Screen video 2, H.264