Evaluation & Reflections
- Reflections DUE April 18th, 2008.
- See 622 Performance Consulting Evaluation
How has my thinking been changed or deepened?
I have developed an understanding and appreciation of different theories that describe leadership and organizational development. I have a more solid foundation than when I began my MA studies, am able to compare and contrast different theories, while appreciating how and why they were developed, and where they emerged. The Hatch book is an invaluable resource in my ongoing professional development and practice.
How will I use the learning I've gained this term
I will use this learning to continue a learning dialogue with my peers and within learning communities, and to support the interventions that I use in organizations. I feel like I have developed my professional identity, and this learning has helped me to understand effective forms of leadership in organizations, that are appropriate and well-suited to different cultures and orientations. In addition, I have learned to think more strategically and in an integrated manner in terms of organization design and development.
What was most personally relevant and useful? What wasn't?
Several theories and practices of leadership and organization theory really resonated, and I look forward to using them. Morgan's book is a fabulous companion, and I enjoyed reading the sections on Organizations as Flux and Transformation, and Psychic Prisons. The latter is a great tool, to understand why organizations and leaders find it hard to get unstuck, and repeat patterns that aren't in their best interests.
Modelling the way is a very useful approach, particularly when training people in new skill development, or developing 'train-the-trainer programs. People need the reassurance and support from someone who's been in their shoes, and is willing to share knowledge to help them realize their own leadership behaviors within organization.
Communication, Culture and Globalism were very helpful in sharing a larger, global perspective in an interconnected, culturally-diverse world. Given workforce mobility and technology, one doesn't have to travel very far to experience the challenges posed by these concepts, and the adaptive leadership required to increase performance and understanding in challenging environments.
What were you most surprised by or pleased with?
I was most pleased with the following:
- Emotional Intelligence theory + Assessment tool from Evidence-Based Coaching
- Access to wide range of theories and quality discourse
- Books - high quality resources / references - excellent companions for future use and application
- Theories on Adaptive Leadership and Double Loop Learning
- Achievement of my original learning plan objectives
I was surprised how fast this term went. <smile>
What do I now believe about “good leadership” and “great organizations”?
Good leadership and great organizations depends on a variety of factors, including different people's perspectives (i.e., one person's great leader is another person's dog). When there's a consensus about good leadership and great organizations, it's worthwhile interviewing and debriefing stakeholders, to understand the reasons for such an assessment, as well as understanding the challenges that an organization is facing. History, is a good judge too - as several years ago, AIG was looking pretty smart.
What do you wish had been different?
I think there could have been better ‘guidance’ in terms of deepening the peer dialogue – perhaps some followup questions, digging into the peer dialogue by the Teacher / Facilitator. More resources, such as assessments to be used in the field, would have been useful.
How would you improve this course for your needs?
- More instructor facilitation and intervention - in terms of original posting with questions; and subsequent intervention and provision of resources, based on expressed / unexpressed needs of students / learners;
- Do away with the 50% final synthesis paper, and focus more attention on the deeper interaction, dialogue and response.
- Make class participation and quality participation a higher percentage of the final mark.