OERu/Planning/OERu Management Committee/15.09 Meeting of the OERu Management Committee

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search

When: 23 September 2015, 11:00AM NZST (Click on link for local time.)
Where: Hangouts on air
Public link: Broadcast link for viewers (Members of the OERuMC should not use this link)
Backchannel #OERu feed. Post using WENotes or Twitter


  1. Welcome
  2. Matters arising
  3. Regional OERu meetings (Open business models)
  4. Working group draft annual reports
  5. Input evaluation survey
  6. Draft agenda for the 4th OERu partner's meeting (see meeting site version)
    • OERuMC team to collate recommendations and decisions to be tabled at the CEOs meeting
  7. Date for final meeting of the year.

Minutes and decisions

6th OERu Management Committee Meeting
  1. Attendance: David Bull, Irwin DeVries, Wayne Mackintosh, David Porter, Brian Lamb, Dave Lane, Marc Singer and Jim Taylor.
  2. [1:04] Reviewed matters arising
    • Noted the delays in progressing a request to partners to update the consolidated course schedule due to capacity constraints and competing demands to effectively administer this process.
  3. [2:31] Received the reports of the Oceania and North American regional meetings with acknowledgement to Paul Stacey from Creative Commons who facilitated both meetings to develop open business models from the perspective of individual OERu partner institutions.
    • Acknowledged the utility of the business model canvas to communicate the interrelationships of the components of the OERu business model succinctly on a page.
    • Expressed interest and noted the value for continued engagement of the OERu with the larger open business model project at Creative Commons.
    • Agreed to continue and adopt the practice of regular regional OERu meetings.
  4. Reviewed the annual reports for each working group:
    • [7:43] 2015 Strategic Planning Group Annual Report
      1. Stressed the importance for OERu to develop a minimum viable product referring to completing development and delivery initially targeting half of the courses required for the first year of study leading to an exit credential.
      2. Noted that a number of OERu partners already offer a "Certificate in General Studies" illustrating that the OERu could achieve an exit credential for a "minimum viable product".
      3. Acknowledged the posting of the aggregated data from the Input evaluation survey online. This provides a solid foundation for leading into the design and implementation of the Process and Product evaluation phases of the CIPP model during 2016.
      4. Highlighted the value of reconfiguring existing open courses, for example Saylor Foundation, which could bolster the number of courses for providing OERu assessment services moving towards a free first year of study and agreed that this should be discussed in detail at the October 2015 partner's meeting.
    • [18:55] 2015 Curriculum and Programme of Study Group Annual Report
      1. Acknowledged the strategic shift of the working group to focus on the completion of a general 1st year of study for the immediate future to expedite progress of product development towards the longer term goal of achieving a Bachelor of General Studies.
      2. Shared information on the state of progress on the development of a programme specification for the 1st year of study illustrating a proposed structure.
      3. Noted that there are a number of existing OERu courses in development which could potentially contribute to the OERu first year of study.
      4. Emphasised the critical path requirement that a course nomination for the 1st year of study must be available for formal academic credit and count towards an exit credential at a minimum of one partner institution in the network - should be considered as a criterion for accepting the nomination for inclusion.
      5. Agreed that a proactive call for course "donations" should be tabled at the CEOs meeting in October 2015 aiming to fill identified gaps in offering a 1st year of study, in particular partners who would be prepared to "open source" the course materials of an existing 1st year course at their institution as part of their community service contribution or 2nd course contribution.
      6. Agreed to assemble a consolidated table of courses at the first year level from existing nominations derived from the course schedule to focus and monitor progress in achieving the proposed minimum viable product in collaboration with the Strategic Planning group.
      7. Agreed that it would be appropriate for the OERu to integrate a stream to support capacity development related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
    • [31:55] 2015 Partner Engagement Group Annual Report
      1. Noted the working group's approach to focus on three KPIs to simplify and target outputs. That is, to refine and assemble resources for partner engagement according to the level and information needs of stratified target audiences, for example, senior administration, course developers, technical staff and Registrars / PLAR specialists.
      2. Acknowledged the value of assembling multidisciplinary teams within the organisation from appropriate areas of professional expertise to collaborate on OERu developments.
      3. Agreed to share tangible resource outputs for partner engagement by the end of the calendar year for review and prototyping with the network.
      4. Shared examples of types of support resources which could be assembled for different OERu target audiences.
    • [42:55] 2015 Standing Committee for Credit Transfer Annual Report
      1. Noted that initial feedback from a small number of OERu Registrars is generally positive but acknowledged that the Input evaluation data indicates that the majority of partners have not reviewed the guidelines .
      2. Agreed that the guidelines will be tabled at the October 2015 partner's meeting for approval.
      3. Advised that the working group would need to develop a handbook to support and implement the envisaged articulation process.
      4. Acknowledged the need to develop mechanisms and supporting technologies in collaboration with the Technology working group for example: recording articulation agreements, keeping track of where learners can apply credit and communicating this information to the learners.
      5. Discussed options for progressing initial sign-off by a small sample of partners, for instance hosting a dedicated meeting or approaching partners who have transfer friendly policies in place to sign off the guidelines.
    • [50:25] 2015 Technology Group Annual Report
      1. Acknowledged the significant boost in technical capacity for the OERu network with the appointment of the new shared open source technologist position.
      2. Emphasised the importance for the Technology group to understand the technical needs of partners so that OERu can better assist members in exploiting the open source capacity for local implementation at partner organisations in the network.
      3. Noted significant progress on a number of fronts including: the development of a WordPress theme that enables multiple reuse options for course content; the development of reuse frameworks for local adoption of open technologies at partner institutions; successful adoption and uptake of the groups.oeru.org site which now has 70 subscribed members from the active working groups enabling easy use of existing tools with smooth integration into existing workflow; and the successful testing of the community.oeru.org site.
      4. Acknowledged the potential for institutions to improve local adoptions of technologies relating to the open web because they are partners of the OERu network.
      5. Identified the need to progress less arduous solutions for authoring and assembling OERu courses designed for reuse recognising the solution is both a communication and technological challenge.
      6. Identified the potential for implementing a central authentication service for the OERu network.
      7. Noted the value of investigating the possible adoption of open technologies to support the network and possibly OERu learners ncluding web conferencing (Big Blue Button, WebRTC) and a communication aggregation and collaboration platform (Mattermost).
      8. Agreed to poll users on their preferences regarding the new HTML format emails from groups.oeru.org which could potentially be turned off if the majority of users prefer plain text email.
      9. Noted the development of tutorial and course materials on using the OERu Content Management System and web communication techniques and protocols.
    • Noted the submission of the 2015 Course Approval and Quality Group Annual Report
  5. [1:06:07] Input evaluation survey
    • Advised that the aggregated data from the Input evaluation survey is available online and that a report will be produced in time for the October 2015 partners meeting.
    • Noted the growing interest to establish an OERu working group on open badges and micro-credentials but cautioned that this should not be seen as a distraction or replacement for formal academic credit, but rather generating additional pathways to formal recognised credentials.
    • Highlighted the need for the growing number of groups to work coherently together and agreed that the OERuMC should progress solutions for communicating priorities and maintaining momentum after the partners meeting and challenges associated with the different holiday periods of the two hemispheres.
  6. [1:12:00] Drafting of the OERu partners meeting agenda
    • Noted that due to the early scheduling of the partners meeting this year, it was not possible to host a SCoPE seminar to discuss the design of the agenda, however, the agenda is being developed openly in the wiki and the community is invited to post feedback and ideas on the corresponding talk pages.
  7. [1:14:30] Agreed to schedule the last meeting of the OERuMC for the current year during the 1st week of December 2015.

Action items

Outstanding action items (current)

  1. OERuMC to progress solutions for communicating priorities and maintaining momentum after the partners meeting and challenges associated with the different holiday periods of the two hemispheres.

Completed items (current)

  1. Wayne to update the Quicklink to 2015 operational priorities once the July round of working group meetings has been completed. Restructured and improved operational priorities page on Strategic planning portal. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:35, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  2. Work with representative from Thomas Edison State College, who have a number of courses to list on the Website, and use this experience to develop a self-help resource for maintaining and updating pages on the OERu CMS.TESC confirmed that they were able to edit the CMS. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:36, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  3. Post Doodle poll to schedule the next meeting of the OERuMC during the 1st week of December 2015. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:39, 7 December 2015 (UTC) Date fixed for 15 December NZDT. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:39, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  4. Discuss scheduling and hosting of regional OERu meetings at the 2015.10 OERu partners meeting. Done --Mackiwg (talk) 22:40, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  5. Included discussion on reconfiguring of existing open courses, for instance Saylor, and partners who can provide assessment services to promote completion of minimum viable product for the OERu first year of study as agenda item for the 2015.10 partners meeting. Done. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:41, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  6. Commence development of a proposal for communicating pathways of study, assessing institutions, credit transfer options and pricing of services on the main OERu site for prospective learners. Place holder activity created on planning portal and incorporated into 2016 KPIs. --Mackiwg (talk) 22:48, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  7. Request OERu partners to update the course delivery schedule Done at partners meeting and will incorporate into KPIs
  8. Table proactive call for course donations to complete the 1st year of study at the 2015.10 CEOs meeting. Done. --Mackiwg (talk) 23:03, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  9. Prepare consolidated table of courses for the 1st year of study in the wiki.. Done. --Mackiwg (talk) 23:03, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
  10. Incorporate a stream for building capacity for the UNs Sustainable Development Goals into the OERu 1st year of study. Done. --Mackiwg (talk) 23:03, 7 December 2015 (UTC)