MITE/Action Items

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search


Icon objectives.jpg

Action Items

  • Develop and describe terms for Roles - Sam, Randy & Ruth</s>

** Discuss roles

Describe Functionality

  • develop initial estimate of project scope (i.e., technical build)
  • any visual design that we need to do (Ruth) - need that element
  • optimal to have the "design person" present on the calls - in at least 2+ discussions (we could then map it, come up with a base description which is hoped for (i.e., clean and simple)
  • Rob L. or another equivalent
  • iterative feedback (rounds) on the design
  • Basic descriptions on what "this is" a - full picture...
    • get the groups to focus on 1 aspect of functionality - modelling the process for each other...
  • Incorporate "Implementation Support" as part of Key Messages DONE
  • Show different options visually: email or forum (Sam), via Elluminate
  • Develop Implementation Plan templates (i.e., specific functionality of content) (Sam)
    • get feedback from Terri and Danni - for input, and scalable solutions...
    • toolbox / pattern solutions (i.e., building block) availability - leverage and integrate into communications - (also develop case studies, stories, etc and members learn from each other)
    • obtain input from Marketing & Dialogue about Roles

* Create Google Discussion Group

Community & Communications

Icon objectives.jpg

Action Items

  • Create Agenda for all meetings DONE, IN PROGRESS
  • ID stakeholder groups to communicate to: (Jonathan, via email to RF); in future, key messages mapped to the group - ONGOING

* Talk with Brian & Nancy - ** share process with them ** what do you need this to do; ** any technical issues; ftp - plans to continue, or migrate into Drupal ** what they hope this site will do, for members and team (est. pri) ** Roles ** Ops - masters and contracts ** get input on Key Messages - are we 'responsive' too - set the expectation

Icon discussion.gif


October 5

  • Agenda - AGREED
  • Key Messages - Communique 2
  • also, how to dialogue with Marketing
    • each person in MITE has a different idea, or picture pertaining to this project; working on a shared description, goal, communications - "vocabulary" - is important
  • Process

- focus on users / technical administrators -

    • have to synch up on 'language' and 'picture' / shared reference of what's happening, who's doing what, etc.
    • Ruth: roles different from school to school, and not:
  • Sam - Email vs. Group Forum on Web
  • Ruth likes having a forum over listservs (to disjointed); (but you have to have a way to push out); i.e., subscribe to a weekly digest - click on links; Forum format is superior in engaging people in discussion; get interaction with our Advisors
    • Implementation support is what is key for members...
    • members are not novices - they are comfortable online, and most of them use social networking and blogs -- different levels of sophistication.... all extremely busy... we need to make it easy to participate and find info they need, and ask questions for each other
  • Randy: depends on maturity of group...; there are support issues to help group migrate....
  • Jonathan... possibly students; not immediate priority

Check in

  • call on Wed to talk about technology and operations
  • keep it to Skype chat first, elluminate later
  • Sam: not sure about Agenda
    • continue fleshing out 'functional descriptions' - Ruth has placeholders in a document,
  • Ruth sends out Marketing Draft 1, about what they think they want....(we need to drill down, and talk through it)
    • sent copy of Implementation document
  • Ruth:
    • imagining forming sub-groups arising out of single group....people can participate in, or subscribe to.... if group has some things they want... could have a group space to work on a project together...

Jonathan Lopez introduces himself

    • interesting: researched and looking forward to community, and how to manage an online community - and particularly fascinating... a new area that's evolving (finds it particularly engaging)
    • a 'solution' to everybody... everyone has their needs met, and it's something that people can look to for a solution, vs. create more problems...
  • Communications
    • helping communicate within the org; coordinating different efforts btw the departments; btw members; relay info to members; general public, and are looking at some of the things we do; and getting our name out, and present btw: the broader society.
    • Ruth: this is a new position and role @ MITE; something that was handles amongst the team previously...
    • Johnathan - all encompassing...

October 2, 2009

  • mapped roles (i.e., description of permissions that people have)
  • discuss roles with stakeholders (based on Ruth's descriptions)
    • when we're "ready" - week of Oct. 5, 2008 (next steps)
Obtain Input from Marketing Group
  • Marketing group (which includes member support, training & communications - very involved in implementation plan has developed a document, sharing it with Ruth
    • have marketing continue its process to develop ready-to-go content, for the tabs, etc.
    • make sure that video is in open source formats (please)
  • Suggestion:
    • Ask Marketing what they want on the form....
    • Two Questions:(1) What was that interested them to get to this place; (2) Call to Action: form says request for more information” – email generated to
  • move to Action Item
  • People want to know HOW they can have an impact
    • Transparency
    • calls with each of the sub-teams, to talk through the areas of the site
    • folks are "vested" in this / chomping at the bit - to get going, and 'see' how it is going to be developed, and folks have input...

Communications Planning

Communicate to MITE Staff Groups (10 people)

  • Brian (IT); Gary (President); Nancy Cook (operations)
  • Marketing / Membership / Communications
    • Terri Rowenhorst, Dani Pedrotti, Jonathan Lopez
  • Editorial / Development team (using open project, Basecamp, to manage development projects)
  • Loops with Advisory Board (15 people) - (some of the representative member institutions, and get their feedback; has to make sense to them

Communique 2

  • October 5, 2009 - Release Now

Key Messages

(Comment.gif: We will continue to update this list, and then make sure they are copied over to: MITE/NROC Messages. to ensure a high level of visibility and accessibility.Randy Fisher 10:08, 7 October 2009 (UTC))

  • This project is a "manifestation of what we want to be to the world"
  • 'The website is information AND how we want to engage and interact with people and provide a means for people to interact with each other. "We're trying to model a way to work as CoPs, supported by a sustainable, nonprofit organization that is open, collaborative AND scalable.
  • Implementation Support is available to help our members
  • Set Expectation: share that we will be coming to them for feedback and input - in a way that elicits their involvement, but won't take too much time or energy
  • MITE - "We are facilitators of getting members oriented to the project; to implementing the project in the institution; and facilitate members in sharing their learning and exemplars with each other."

September 30, 2009

Communique 1

  • share news about the project start
  • share news about the team
  • using WikiEducator as a project development platform (re: connection to OER Foundation / International Centre for Open Education
  • Key Message: we are modeling in terms of our approach, the type of approach that we would like educators to use
  • Don't share a "map" at this stage
  • Set Expectation: share that we will be coming to them for feedback and Input - in a way that elicits their involvement, but won't take too much time or energy
  • let folks know that we're open to feedback, suggestions and questions (note: we'll be developing an FAQ from their questions) at any time

Dec 3 2009

Notes from Call with Brian, Phil, Eric:

  • Understand needs dev/live platforms
  • MITE is hosted from multiple servers.
  • Come up with roll out strategy to integrate features as created.
  • there is a goal to re-organize content on MITE website.
  • Integrate with existing drupal templates?
  • Infrastructure: dev and live site will both live on same server, 2 db (one for each). nrocproto (current server) is not actually the best environ for drupal dev, Brian and Phil will move to another domain. Brian will schedule deployment of dev and production. Sam will work in the meantime on existing copy.
  • Can Drupal live in root of site while existing MITE site lives there? This will be handled serially.
  • When we do go live with drupal at, is served from 2 different servers (parallel cluster). Can drupal be set up to be read-only? Or: If MySQL can have master/slave, but after fail over slave propagates to master? Sam will discuss this with Paul.
  • Hybrid releases: member services needs (inst. profile, implementation plan templates, forums, ftp file content) to be rolled out by Jan 1. Will learning times content be part of that release, or be part of new release? Brian suggests that we should integrate with existing templates now, and next iteration should contain new design. Jan 1 iteration should contain inst. profile, implementation plan templates, forums, ftp file content. Sam will talk with Ruth about moving learning times.

Notes from call with Ruth and Randy:

Consistent design of links and navigation

Clean design, focus eye on content, make things intuitive. Give suggestions on where to place login, logout, my account. Ruth would like to keep sidebar clean for function of interaction with content.

Maybe links, and login could be across the top.

Randy suggests that we can choose language, and possibly symbols, that will make the site more inviting and create a sense ofcommunity

Randy suggests that we should identify 5 most important links, and we release that to get feedback.

Sam and Randy suggest that we can keep going over the info-architecture and site design, to consolidate the functions for both users, and members, into really simple choices, that lead to other inuitive choices. Activities in navigation match what users want to do. Resource (bottom box) can have resources relevant to page.

If a member logs in, they will probably want to land at member services. If staff member logs in, they will want to land at voffice. Voffice shall be a dashboard for staff people.

Sam and Randy suggest that different types of users may want to see different views and content when they login and start using. Plus, there is experience throughout usage that should be considered

Sam: We need some models for the opportunities, map both existing constituents and emerging opportunities into the architecture of the site. t is possible to give an option for "content related to this" that is both pre-populated and/or recommendation engine derived.

Ruth: Landing page of each 3 tabs, there is a connection to forum related to each section. Forums for each are targetted to site users based on section

Landing page of each 3 tabs, there is a connection to forum related to each section. Forums for each are targetted to site users based on section

Moderator (Sam Rose): What is the goal of the user?

Moderator (Sam Rose): Iterative models for user

Moderator (Sam Rose): We are working with anticipatory model

Moderator (Sam Rose): so we'll need iterative adjustment

Moderator (Sam Rose): We need access to ask community what they want, give them what they need. Give them space to build what they need, or support building with them

current design is here: that I will be integrating new work into

Moderator (Sam Rose): first launch is internal staff

Moderator (Sam Rose): new release with new design is for members selected members


/Dec 11 2009 iteration update