Digital communication technologies/Using DCTs/Email
|Digital communication technologies|
|Using DCTs||Introduction | Email | Blogs | Social media | Key points | Assessment|
How to set up a Gmail account
This activity will help you to create your own Gmail account:
Email has become one of the most widely used forms of DCTs, but many of its users are still unaware of the recognised conventions in terms of email etiquette and layout.
- Do not use all capitals as this represents a raised voice or SHOUTING
- Use a meaningful and relevant subject heading so that the recipient has some idea of what the email is about
- Consider the size of attachments before sending them as the recipient may not be able to view the attachment if they have a slow connection
- Be careful what you forward onto friends and who you forward them to. Chainmail should never be forwarded onwards, you should simply delete them as soon as you see what they are. *Joke emails can be dangerous as some my find it inappropriate
- If you are sending emails to multiple people at a time ensure you use the "BCC" (Blind Carbon Copy) option to enter the email addresses into instead of the "To" option. This is because this will not advertise the recipients email addresses to all of the recipients of the email, hereby keeping the privacy of your contacts.
For more email etiquette visit this website:
Composing an email in Gmail
Formatting mail in Gmail