Caring for Stroke Patients
- Provide brief physiological background & statistics for stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA).
- Outline The Joint Commission performance measures for stroke certification.
- Introduce stroke assessment and care tools for nurses.
- Introduce and provide basic patient/clinician education materials and resources.
After completion of this module, the learner will:
- Explain the basic physiology of stroke, including hemorrhagic, ischemic and TIA.
- Name three tools for assessing the patient with stroke symptoms.
- Name three diagnostics/interventions used in caring for the stroke patient.
- State at least three specific performance measures used by The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Center Certification.
- Demonstrate ability to access resources and links for stroke information.
Learning Module developed by K. Colunga, RN