Proposal for action: Piloting NZ qualification based on OER
NAME OF PROPOSAL
Piloting an open education course qualification
- Discussion about advantages, disadvantages relating to choice of qualification. New Qualification versus existing qualification.
- Number of different courses in a number of different levels
- Multiple / parallel pilots
- Bridging courses
- Some courses already have an open approach versus more closed traditional model. (How should we choose?)
- Don't restrict to traditional course (eg work-based learning.) What existing resources could be openned?
- Criteria for selection -- availability of existing resources.
- Content is different from building high quality course.
- Maximise benefit for the sector - -all institutions should benefit.
- How and where does instructional design fit into the model?
- How do we achieve learner centric design? Should we?
Aims of the activity (longer term)
- Demonstration of the implementation of an open education qualification to inform future decision making and policy development. (Demonstrate proof of concept.)
Objectives of the activity (short term)
- Establish process and criteria for selecting credential(s)
- Does the open education model provide better access for New Zealand learners
- Is the open education model sustainable
- What are the assumptions we bring to table
- What is the cost / revenues of the pilot. Who is going to pay?
- What is the scope of the pilot, eco-system, course, or just assessment?
- How will employers perceive the model?
- How does this fit with NZQA? -- Focus on outcomes.
- How is quality being assured?
- How do we tell the success stories?
- How do we demonstrate quality of the model?
- Inventory of what's out there, what's been done.
Narrative description of what you will do
- Agree and implement an open process for selecting prototype(s)
- Determine programme of study which leads to a qualification
What inputs are required?
- List inputs here ..
- Existing OER's
- Existing materials
- Existing courses/ programmes
Group decisions for this activity including who and when.
- OER Foundation to refine first draft and set up next steps for the sector to consider
- Go back to our institutions to take stock of what we know know (will determine the questions.)