Learning4Content/Workshops/Face-to-Face schedule/L4C40/Workshop Reports
- 1 Workshop Dates and Facilitator contacts
- 2 Acknowledgments
- 3 Introduction and Background
- 4 Venue
- 5 Participants
- 6 Workshop Proceedings
- 7 Lessons Learnt
- 8 Recommendations
Workshop Dates and Facilitator contacts
The workshop ran for 3 days from 12th- 14th February 2009
The facilitator wishes to express profound appreciation to the following without whom this workshop would not have been possible:-
- COL for the sponsorship of the workshop.
- The Principal of Caltec Academy who accepted to host the workshop despite heavy staff duties.
Introduction and Background
This was the 3rd face-to-face L4C workshop in our country Uganda.
The venue of the workshop was Caltec Academy ,Makerere computer lab
In all there were 21 participants ,all of whom except one signed their learning contracts. Of these,7 were females.
|COUNTRY||FIRST NAME||LAST NAME||GENDER||ORGANIZATION||PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATION||LEARNING CONTRACT|
|Uganda||Vincent||Kizza||Male||Gayaza High School||Workshop Facilitatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Uganda||Kizito||Mugaga||Male||Caltec Academy||Chemistry,Biology Teacheremail@example.com||Signed.|
|Uganda||Grace||Mulema||Male||Caltec Academy||Physics and Mathematics firstname.lastname@example.org||Signed.|
|Uganda||CHRISTINE||NAMAGEMBE||Female||Caltec Academy||School ICT email@example.com||Signed.|
|Uganda||Grace||N Musoke||Female||Caltec Academy||Accountant||Signed.|
|Uganda||George||Sssebuliba||Male||Caltec Academy||Director of Studiesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Signed.|
|Uganda||Eva Dora||Mukasa||Female||Caltec Academy||English Literature Teacheremail@example.com||Signed.|
|Uganda||James||Danga||Male||St Mary's College Kisubi||Teacherfirstname.lastname@example.org||Signed.|
|Uganda||Margret||N Yiga||Female||Caltec Academy||Lganda Laguage Teacher||Signed.|
|Uganda||Godfrey||Sengendo||Male||Caltec Academy||English Literature Teacheremail@example.com||Signed.|
|Uganda||Jimmy||Byamukama||Male||Caltec Academy||Economics Teacher||Signed.|
|Uganda||Peter||Sengendo||Male||Caltec Academy||ICT Teacher||Signed.|
|Uganda||Peter Tom||Byarugaba||Male||Caltec Academy||Teacher||Signed.|
Day 1: Objectives
The objectives of the day were to introduce participants to:-
- WikiEducator and COL
- Web 2.0 Technologies
- Learning contracts
- Setting up a WE account
- WikiMedia editing and formatting
Day 1: Proceedings
The day stated a bit late at 9:30am instead of the scheduled 8:00am because of the late reporting of many participants. However the day later picked pace and all planned activities were carried out as per the days time table.
Day 1: Achievements
By the end of the day,participants were able to:-
- Acquaint themselves with WE and COL
- Open acounts on WE
- Sign learning contracts
- Do basic editing and formatting.
Days 2 and 3: Objectives
The objectives of days 2 and 3 were:-
- Take stock of acquired skills in Day 1
- Create and link pages.
- Insert images and other file types.
- Colaborative page editing and interactions
- Some content creation
- Pedagogical templates
- Wiki strucures and free content
Days 2 and 3: Proceedings
- Typically,each of the days started with a 30- min practical session to finish off assignments from previous day.
- Folowed by a recap of the previous day's work through an out door flash light session
Days 2 and 3: Achievements
- Late coming can be curbed with mutual agreement with the particpants about time of start and end of workshop
- Time for acquiring basic computer literacy has to be factored in the planning.
- A low cost dial-up connection should be put in place as a risk mitagation strategy in case the normal channel is disrupted as is usually the case
- The workshops can also be take place during term time when the schools are on unlike only in the holidays as previously believed.
- Editing with open office be encouraged during the workshops CDs with it be distributed other than downloads because bandwidth is small.
- Meetings for national teams be organised soon to help with technical support and way forward.