Assignment: Scenarios and review of change model
|Change with digital technologies in education (#OERuCDTE)|
|Course guide||Introduction & Aims | Development team | Video signpost | Getting started | Resources | Assessment overview | Course schedule|
|Assignments||Assignment 1 | Assignment 2 | Assignment 3|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Part 1: Scenarios for alternate futures
- 3 Part 2: Application of change models in relation to your own research topic
- 4 Assessment rubrics
In this assignment you will prepare two scenarios for alternative futures in education and review published literature to identify the most important questions which should be answered for successful implementation of an identified change intervention with digital technology in education.
- Words: 5000 (approximately 15 pages) as follows:
- Scenario section: 5 pages (Comprising: Overview of 1 page and two scenarios totalling 4 pages)
- Review of Change model(s): 10 pages (Comprising: summary of research topic of 1 page; annotated bibliography of 5 pages; and review of change model(s) of 3 pages)
- Total marks: 100
- Weighting: 50%
Part 1: Scenarios for alternate futures
You are required to author two scenarios demonstrating your knowledge and understanding of the scenario planning methodology.
- Overview of the scenario matrix. In this overview you must:
- Provide an introduction describing the context for which the scenarios are built, including for example: sector, country or region and target audience.
- Write a short paragraph describing each uncertainty where you summarise the uncertainty in a sentence or two and justify the reasons why the factors you have chosen are uncertainties.
- Generate a graphic for your scenario matrix with a descriptive title for each quadrant.
- Scenario story lines. Generate two scenarios of appropriately 500 words each (i.e. two quadrants of your choice) using the following subheadings
- Executive summary: The overview paragraph should describe the high-level outcome of the interplay between the two uncertainties
- Scenario story line: Describe the key elements of the scenario illustrating how the uncertainties contribute to an alternate educational future with illustrative examples.
- Conclusion: The conclusion should summarise the implications for change(s) described in the scenario.
Part 2: Application of change models in relation to your own research topic
You are required to apply your knowledge of the theories of change relating to the personal context for your selected topic of interest for the research paper or case study you will be preparing for the second assignment of this course.
Defining your research topic for this course
In this course you are required to prepare a research paper or case study focusing on change with digital technologies in education. You can choose to focus on an imminent change that will take place in your own context in the near future or select an example of the implementation of a new technology at any educational organisation within the last two years. The first step in this process is to define your research topic.
In this assignment you must prepare a summary of 350 to 400 words which documents the following:
- The nature and characteristics of the technology innovation you have selected for further research and study in this course (i.e. the what?)
- An explanation of the importance and significance of the change for teachers and learners (i.e. the why?).
You must submit an annotated bibliography of 10 sources from peer-reviewed journals, published book chapters or reputable scholarly reports filtered according to your selected research topic including the following resources:
- Ecological perspective of change with digital technologies in education of Niki Davis
- Concerns-Based Adoption Model (CBAM) proposed by Hall and Hord and/or Learning/Adoption Trajectory (LAT) of Lorriane Sherry and David Gibson
- Everatt Rogers five characteristics of successful innovations
- Five independent scholarly resources on the nature, characteristics and research of the specific digital technology innovation / change specified in you research topic above.
Review of the literature on change models for successful implementation of digital technologies for the personal / internal context
Drawing on your annotated bibliography and coursework, prepare an academic essay of 1000 words entitled:
- Identifying the critical success factors for implementation of change with digital technologies: The view from (insert a familiar perspective, e.g. my science classroom in Rotorua)
Part 1: Scenarios
|Assessment dimension||Category||D level and below||C level||B level||A level||%|
|Knowledge and skills: Strategic planning||Scenario planning methodology||Fails to distinguish uncertainties from trends, inconsistent logic, scenarios move into the realm of speculation or merely describe inevitable futures|| Scenarios are adequately described:
Some evidence that context and trends are informed by literature. Scenarios may not be equally compelling.
|As for C but with greater clarity and understanding of the methodology. Both scenarios are equally compelling alternatives for the future and illustrated with plausible examples. Demonstrates the relational interplay among trends, factors and uncertainties within the construct of the scenario quadrant.||As for B. Both scenarios provide a high-level of decision-making utility for multiple stakeholders as determined by the context. The student demonstrates an exemplary understanding of the scenario planning methodology and its utility for conceptualising substantive change in education.||50|
|Knowledge and skills: Research||Depth of knowledge of literature on contemporary trends driving change in education today||No sources affirming assertions of trends cited, or sources are outdated or not relevant to the scenario context.||Minimum of 3 sources appropriately cited in justifying contemporary trends.||Minimum of 5 independent but recent sources appropriately cited in justifying relevant contemporary trends.||8 or more independent but recent sources appropriately cited for justifying relevant contemporary trends.||10|
|Reflective praxis: Strategic planning||Implications||Implications do not flow logically from the scenarios||Implications have been identified and relate to the scenarios.||As for C, but evidence of thoughtful consideration of implications in that they are focus on the most significant considerations taking multiple stakeholders into account (eg learners, teachers and organisation)||As for B plus conclusions and implications are carefully and skilfully drawn demonstrating critical insight into the decision-making challenges. The implications are unique in that they could not have reasonably been anticipated without a plausible and well constructed scenario.||30|
|Communication||Structure, typography and mechanics||Numerous spelling, syntax and typographical errors.||Only syntax and typographical errors do not distract from the communication. Good attempt to use correct APA formatting,||Few errors and mostly correct APA formatting. Scenarios well structured and written.||Communicates effectively for the specified audience. Fluently written scenarios which are easy to read but signify scholarly effort. No errors. Correct and complete APA reference section.||10|