, Canada’s Open University, is dedicated to the removal of barriers that restrict access to and success in university-level study and to increasing equality of educational opportunity for adult learners worldwide.
Our approach to post-secondary education is based on four key principles: excellence, openness, flexibility and innovation.
- Excellence: We are dedicated to achieving the highest standards in teaching, research, scholarship and student service.
- Openness: We are committed to our mission of guaranteeing access to post-secondary learning to all who have the ability and desire. If you are 16 or older, you are eligible for admission to undergraduate study.
- Flexibility: Our flexible learning model adapts to your needs, putting you in the driver’s seat. You can enrol in most programs and register for most courses at any time of the year and work at your own pace, studying at home, at work or wherever you may find yourself.
- Innovation: We continue to adopt and develop new, learner-centred learning models and technology-based alternatives to traditional, classroom-based instructional channels and contexts. We apply technology to make learning accessible.
What we do on WikiEducator
Participating in the OER Foundation and the WikiEducator project gives us an opportunity to connect internationally with and learn from others on the development and integration of open approaches in the university sector. We are particularly interested in:
- Learning together with our international colleagues on using wiki technology for OER creation and reuse through the Learning4Content initiative.
- Fostering the development of collaborative research on OER
- Nurturing the adoption of open research strategies in all areas of academic interest.
- Encouraging the development of open textbooks which are published through open access publishers like Athabasca University Press.
Athabasca University joins the OER Tertiary Education Network leading the OERu
implementation as founding anchor partner. “As an open university the institutional philosophy and direction of our university is strongly aligned with the objectives of the OER Tertiary Education Network
” said Dr Frits Pannekoek
, President of AU
. Read more...
Athabasca University has joined the OER Foundation as a founding member. Prof. McGreal, a signatory of the Cape Town Open Education Declaration says: In education, we must go forward. Restrictive copyright laws can best be addressed by supporting open and collaborative approaches to the creation of learning content." (Dr. Rory McGreal, Associate Vice President, Research and member of the OER Foundation's inaugural Board of Directors.) Read more ...
OER Foundation Thought Leader's Forum
- Re: [OER-advocacy] SXSWedu
- Great catch Karen! - Randy On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Karen Fasimpaur <ka...@k12opened.com> wrote: I'm sure most of you know the South by Southwest (SXSW) music, film, and interactiv...
- Randy Fisher (aka Wikirandy) 2011-09-02 12:47:32
- Cable Green moving to Creative Commons
- Greetings Colleagues, Friends and Family: Please forgive cross-postings… I am delighted to announce I have accepted the position of “Director of Global Learning” @ Creative Commons (job...
- Cable Green 2011-05-02 19:10:43
- Monday: 3:30pm (EST): Innovators Discuss Attacking High Textbook Costs and Improving Outcomes
- Spotlight On Innovation: Attacking High Text Costs While Improving Outcomes Date: Monday, April 11th, 2011 Time: 12:30 pm PT / 3:30pm ET Duration: 50 minutes followed by a live Q&A session As...
- Cable Green 2011-04-11 02:39:05
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing Educause / Direct Link The open educational resources model, including textbooks, has emerged as a response to rising text prices, a need for...
- Cable Green 2011-03-11 19:05:40
- OER Track: Call for Proposals Now Open: 17th Annual Sloan-C Online Learning Conference (Orlando)
- * The OER track is a new addition to the 2011 Program. From: The Sloan Consortium [mailto:confe...@sloanconsortium.org] Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:27 PM To: Cable Green Subject: Cal...
- Cable Green 2011-03-07 05:15:27
- SLOAN Conference - OER Track
- The “17th Annual Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning” has added an OER track ;) http://sloanconsortium.org/conferences/2011/aln/call_for_presentations · ...
- Cable Green 2011-03-07 02:31:47
- Education without limits: Why open textbooks are the way forward.
- Nice (short) video by David Wiley re: open textbooks… http://blog.oer.sbctc.edu/2011/02/education-without-limits-why-open.html Cable Green, PhD Director of eLearning & Open Ed...
- Cable Green 2011-02-27 21:07:33
- Call for Book Chapters: Open-Source Technologies for Maximizing the Creation, Deployment and Use of Digital Resources and Information
- Call for Book Chapters: “Open-Source Technologies for Maximizing the Creation, Deployment and Use of Digital Resources and Information” http://www.igi-global.com/authorseditors/author...
- Cable Green 2011-02-20 03:12:03
- Flat World Knowledge: Director, Institutional Sales
- Hi All: Normally, I wouldn’t post a job position … but it’s from our buds at Flat World Knowledge… and I consider them to be part of the textbook affordability solution. If you know o...
- Cable Green 2011-02-14 03:45:12
- OER / OA & Policy Opportunity
- Hi All: The attached document is en route to Washington D.C. with our system’s Trustees and Presidents for conversations with Washington State’s Senators and Congresspeople at the ACCT Natio...
- Cable Green 2011-02-13 03:39:58
- Disrupting College: How Disruptive Innovation Can Deliver Quality and Affordability to Postsecondary Education
- Hi All: You’ll want to read these articles, the report and attend the webinar… and ask: what role does Open Education … maybe a global Open University … have to play in this conversation...
- Cable Green 2011-02-12 23:42:12
- Newsweek: Who Needs Textbooks? How Washington State is redesigning textbooks for the digital age.
- The Washington “Open Course Library” is in Newsweek. http://education.newsweek.com/2011/01/25/who-needs-textbooks.print.html Other recent stories on this project: · ...
- Cable Green 2011-01-26 04:32:43
- WA "Open Course Library" on Public Radio: Michael Eric Dyson Show
- WA Community & Technical Colleges’ “Open Course Library” was on the Michael Eric Dyson Show (public radio) today. http://dysonshow.org/?p=3866 Time index: 33:05 (start pla...
- Cable Green 2011-01-25 23:59:31
- Science Open Resources: "World Library of Science"
- The good “Open Education” news just keeps coming… =================== World Library of Science See post by Sir John Daniel on the "World Library of Science," a joint venture be...
- Cable Green 2011-01-23 05:18:44
- DOL $2 Billion Grant: Open License Required
- Greetings Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources, I just sent this note to Washington’s Community and Technical Colleges (see below). I thought you might want to modify...
- Cable Green 2011-01-21 18:39:50