WODIV/Winneba Economic Activities

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search


The main economic activities in the district are agriculture, commerce, manufacturing and processing. Agriculture is the leading economic activity as expected in a rural economy. It is followed by commerce. The contribution of the manufacturing and processing is marginal and such activities are usually organized on small scale basis.

Agriculture constitutes the main economic activity of the district economy. It employs about 58% of the district population. The farming population is 99,116 individuals including fishermen. Agricultural production in the district is on two levels: the subsistence level which involves 70% of the farming population and the commercial level taking the remaining 30%. The three main sectors of agricultural production are crop, animal and fishing.

Crop Production
Crop Production is the major economic activity in the district ,catering for about 80,000 people making up about 50% of the total population in the district. Major crops under cultivation are pineapple, cassava, yam, maize and vegetables. The production of these major crops is concentrated in the Awutu sub-district.

The problems hindering the progress of the industry include;

  • Difficulty in accessing credit.
  • Non-availability of improved seeds.
  • High cost of inputs.
  • Inadequate technical staff
  • Ignorance of modern techniques

Fish production is mainly from marine source. There is little data on fresh water fish production. There are however 13 fish ponds in the district occupying an area of 32,263.6 acres. The types of fish produced are tilapia and mudfish and the total tonnage from marine fishing for the year 2000 pegged at 15,930.81 metric tons. The system of fishing is mainly by motorized canoe, which engages about 6,000 fishermen. The major fishing communities are Winneba and Senya with the dominance of fishes like herrings, shrimps, tuna, lobster and octopus.


  • The major problems facing this area are;
  • Destruction of nets by foreign trawlers and strong ocean currents.
  • High prices of inputs.
  • Inadequate storage facilities.
  • Poor landing sites with respect to fluctuation in tides and rocky beaches at Senya

Technical Support Service To Agriculture
Effective support services are provided to farmers directly by the Ministry of Foods and Agriculture (MOFA) staff in the district. The staff, totaling 25 members, consists of 1-District Director, 4-District Development Officers and 20-Agricultural extension Agents. With this strength, the Awutu Effutu Senya (AEA) farmer ration is 1:4,950 as compared to the national figure of 1:2,000.

Commerce and Market Infrastructure
Commercial activities in AES District are tied to domestic markets in Accra, Agona Swedru, Oda, Mankesim, Techiman, Adeisu, Kumasi, Bolgatanga, and across the borders to Togo, Cote D'voire and Nigeria. The main commodities offered for exchange include fish, maize, gari, cassava, pepper, yam, chicken, chicks, eggs, pineapple, vegetable, and livestock. Other traders from the district travel far and near to bring in products like legume maize and bush meat.

People involved in trade and commerce are fishermen, fishmongers, farmers, middlemen and other private individuals. Market infrastructure such as physical structure, space, stores, stalls, storage shed, deliver bays and access roads are important for the development of the district economy. The seven market centers in the AES District are located in Kasoa, Bawjiase, Winneba, Winneba Junction, Senya Bereku, Awutu Bereku and Bontrase.

Kasoa Market
The District Assembly with the support of the then Agricultural Sector Improvement Project (ASIP) and the Village Infrastructural Project (VIP) has constructed a modern market complex with 2500 stalls, over 500 stores, facilities for Banking Services, large vehicle terminal. This facility is to put an end to the situation where people sell along the streets causing long traffic on the Accra-Takoradi trunk road.

Manufacturing And Processing
The Awutu-Effutu-Senya District has non-farming economic activities involving manufacturing, processing, quarrying and mining. There are also small-scale wood processors in Kasoa, Bawjiase and Senya.

The main problems of the manufacturing and processing sector include:

  • Inadequate data on employment levels in the district.
  • Difficulty in accessing funds
  • Inadequate technical expertise and relevant technologies.
  • Lack of buoyant market to support the sector
  • Inadequate infrastructural support.