|Open Source Software written in PHP, originally designed as a Blog platform. Templates based on Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) can be used to change its appearance.The addition of pages allows WordPress to be used as a Web site.
- WordPress can be used in two ways
- From WordPress.com: A free-hosted (although pay options are available) WordPress Blog giving limited functionality (e.g. restricts the templates and plugins you can choose). Analytics are built in (you cannot use Google analytics)
- From Wordpress.org. Downloadable php code that can be used on your independently hosted web service. You will need to have a Database server (usually MySQL). You can create custom templates, and plugins, or add others that have been created. You also have the ability to modify the php code, create your own templates and plugins. You can use Google Analytics.
- Notable features include:
- RSS Feed (both from WordPress and using a plugin others can be displayed)
- Can email into the blog
- Uses Kismet to manage user creation (blacklists)