classroom community guidelines - students, teachers .. school iPads, BYO... cell phone, smartphone .. k-2 music remote .. science of reading phonics
2021.10.6 Orton-Gillingham @IMSEOG When children learn to recognize a word’s phonology (how to pronounce it), orthography (how to spell it), and morphology (what roots and affixes make up the word), they are well equipped for reading and spelling.
Science of Reading https://amplify.com/science-of-reading-the-podcast/ Science of Reading: The Podcast delivers the latest insights from researchers and practitioners in early reading. Each episode takes a conversational approach and explores a timely topic related to the Science of Reading. Season 4, Episode 7. Linguistic Variety and Dialects: Difference, not error with Julie Washington
2020.12.4 Woodcock–Johnson Tests of Cognitive Abilities Brief Intellectual Ability (BIA) individual's verbal ability, thinking ability, and efficiency in performing cognitive tasks. The BIA takes about 10 to 15 minutes to administer and is especially useful for screenings, re-evaluations that don't require a comprehensive intellectual assessment, or research that needs a short but reliable measure of intelligence
Primer Reading at a college-entry level is a virtuoso performance. Even reading on level by third grade requires a constellation of successes—from mastering the mysterious sound-spelling patterns of English to the painstaking accumulation of vocabulary and knowledge. A single verb, to read, seems inadequate. Achieving this noble goal—effortless reading, and love of reading, for all—is one of the great social undertakings of our time.
Volunteer in basic skills programs for k-5 - reading, math. Concerned about how to reach more kids who are not learning these in school, either because school is not providing the instruction, materials and/or support or because they have no access to school. >oppia
2020.11.12 The Reading League knowledgebase
- match pictures sounds app phonological awareness pictures
science of reading podcasts
The Florida Center for Reading Research Educational Research Center Science of Reading The Reading Teacher's Top Ten Tools
reading league national reading panel volusia brevard curriculum maps burns angie assessment technology h5p matching google form prototype reading rocket parents
right 2 read project - Right to Read Project as they address the science of reading and its translation into easy practice for educators. They break down the Seidenberg and McClelland Four-Part Processing Model and explain..
Reading Rockets guide for parents
2020.4 k-2 brevard angie ela reading phonics remote parents cindy music teaching music and dance - the arts involve composition and performance, that is, creation and presentation, which "help to enhance the creative abilities and aesthetic sensibilities of individuals" remote bevard parents games resources
diigo k-2 reading remote music
dichotomy between phonics instruction (the explicit teaching of letters and sounds) and a whole language approach (a focus on discovery and making meaning). While “whole language” as a term is not often used now, there are many who believe the term “balanced literacy” is simply a substitute for whole language. * clear progression to effective literacy instruction.
- First and foremost, children need to understand the principles of spelling-sound correspondences and to solidify a store of high-frequency words to read words and phrases fluently. Most children need explicit teaching to build this knowledge.
- After decoding and high-frequency words are established, more attention can be devoted to comprehension with a focus on making meaning. Castles et al. (2018) offer a logical and research-based model.
- In spite of this research, educators remain without consensus about what is most important—phonics instruction or a focus on comprehension.
- 1.28 - FCAT Vocabulary words - explore quizlet tools, learn words for FCAT instructions
- 1.27 - The Great Bake Off 3-1 14/20
- 1.24 - scholarship essay ??
- 1.23 - Feeding the Birds 2-1 11/12
- 1.21 - easyCBM - comprehension, detailed feedback - groups, students, assign reading passages online - tracking, reporting
- FCAT word practice lists - lots of options - says word as it is displays, pick length of time word shown
- FCAT Explorer - need login from school
- Grade 10 FCAT 2.0 Reading Sample Questions - [answers] with explanation
- FCAT 2.0 (Reading) Words to Know - quizlet flashcards - instructions for taking FCAT use these words.
- MatchIt game - vocabulary practice
Teen reading helpers
- reading helps - behavioral expectations, use of praise (e.g., congratulating the tutee on having read a difficult passage), and simple academic intervention strategies (e.g., paired reading or ‘listening while reading’). ‘paired reading’ or ‘listening while reading’. (1) activities that give the tutee lots of opportunities to practice targeted academic skills, (2) praise, and (3) the timely use of corrective feedback. Adults who supervise peer tutors should occasionally drop in to observe tutoring session, using
a structured ‘integrity checklist’ to rate the quality of the tutoring.
- easyCBM teachers manual - some assessments can be taken online
check readability - words, reading ease, average grade level
- 8 Steps for Strong Time Management for College Students - 489w 83.3re 5.5ag
- 10 Easy Ways to Read Faster When You Study 731w 82.5re 6.1ag
- Top 10 Test-Taking Strategies w 77.8re 6.9ag
- Peer Editing Guide 695w 77.2re 7.7ag
- 7 rules for being more productive 896w 73.1re 7.4ag
- So You Want to Start… Getting More Sleep 713w 72.1re 8.3ag
- Making Your FORESIGHT 20/20 831w 69.3re 8.8ag
- 32 Habits That Make Thinkers 358w 62.8re 7.2ag
- Preventing Identity Theft 1173w 52.1re 10.9ag
- The Theodore Roosevelt Guide To Productivity 716w 51.8re 11.4ag
- Finding and Evaluating Sources 702w 48.4re 11.3ag
- setup - group, accounts, permission, parent information, parent codes
- homework information
- Edmodo Challenge - group - activities, quiz
- suggested reading - links to online books, book lists
- reading log
- quizzes - self study, completion, prompt
- assignment submission
- grading, grade review
- ? listen to stories being read
- ? record reading stories, oral reports - Google Voice
- Edmodo app ?? permission, parent involvement
- [video - http://smartblogs.com/education/2012/09/10/enriching-literacy-cell-phones-3-ideas-get-started/ speaking and listening] - record themselves acting out chapters of a book they are reading. Acting out a chapter helps solidify understanding.
- web sites
- text file - stored in Edmodo
- library, classroom
- reading log - post with name of book, author, etc. assignment or quiz to guide submission
- wikispaces / blog
- text draft, reading log
- Booksource - scan, record
- ? school account
more games, activities
Edmodo in teaching and learning
- User:Vtaylor/Classroom community - guidelines - students, teachers