Learning Literacies - Search
- Search - One of the most important ways to learn anything is to "look it up" - finding the answer to your question for yourself. With Internet search tools, this can be really quick and easy or it can be a frustrating and unproductive experience. With practice and a few basic strategies, search is one of the most powerful learning literacies.
- formulate search strategies using keywords, and stepwise refinement
- understand the importance of academic integrity, plagiarism
- practice problem-solving using questions
- understand basic ideas for goal setting
- explore educational games for extending learning
- keywords, stepwise refinement, search, academic integrity, plagiarism, problem-solving, questioning, goal setting, educational games
- What are the main search engines in use today?
- What is a search strategy? Why are some words better keywords than others?
- What is academic integrity? What is plagiarism? Why are this important concepts in education?
- Why is asking the right questions important in problem-solving?
- Why is goal-setting considered to be a basic "life skill"?
- academic integrity, plagiarism
- problem-solving, questioning
- goal setting
- educational games
- I know / I need...
learning / life skills - time, tasks, resources, motivation, 43 things literacies, academic, process, cognitive, basic skills
- consume - get - site, review, highlight, question, discuss
- create - make, get - demonstrate, learning narrative, peer review
- collaborate - problem, work breakdown, solution
- thinking thing - sharing, questions, news, funny
- Now I know, ... - What did you learn? How will you use the knowledge and skills?
- Web Literacies - Exploring, Building, Connecting - weekly discussions - competency from each strand
Building / create - Activities / projects - suggestions - choose your own adventure - weekly report
- Starters - easier, fun - overview, introduction to Web Literacies
- Basics - skill building - all Web Literacies competencies
- Challenges - stretch, more difficult - in depth on one or more Web Literacies
learning / life skills - time, tasks, resources, motivation, 43 things literacies, academic, process, cognitive, basic skills poll, survey - similarities, differences, self-aware