After her stroke, JBT became acutely aware of the distinct functions of the left and right portions of her brain. The left side was badly damaged by the stroke and she had to relearn much of the functions associated with that side. However, the right side was undamaged and functioned "normally" throughout the eight year process of recovery.
- functionality of each side of the brain
- interactions between the two halves
- manage and utilize distinct functionalities
Advice and practice
- three things to think about
- something to ponder more deeply
- something nice
- limit brain complain time to 9:00-9:30 AM and PM
- "step to the right"
Games brains play
"Lying here, during all this time after my own small fall, it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We'll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief; we are blindest to precisely whatever might be most illuminating."
-- from Transition, by Iain M. Banks
Still a man hears what he wants to hear And disregards the rest
-- The Boxer, by Paul Simon
- One of the real problems is that we "hear what we want to hear." Our beliefs or personal interests lead us to conclusions or actions that may or may not be helpful.