What is Financial Literacy and how to get it
The financial world is a mess. There is lots of talk of about the economy, bailouts of all sorts, foreclosures, bankruptcy, credit default swaps, hyper-inflation,... The list goes on. Who knows what all this stuff is? What impact will it have on me and my kids?
lots of concern, action, but remarkably poor results
Getting people to accept personal financial responsibility has been slow, as there is a need to overcome the culture of dependence on government, employers, financial institutions and advisers that has been promoted for decades.
Faith-based and other community organizations provide a "safe" place to learn about personal finance.
There has been some progress in improving high school students' financial literacy.
- Women's Institute for Financial Education
- Federal Reserve Education
- American Savings Education Council (ASEC)
- Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy
- National Endowmwnr for Financial Education (NEFE)
- Boys and Girls Clubs of America
- Junior Achievement