| Students @ Work - a student collaborative writing project. |
Help us by providing feedback on the Discussion page.
CIS 2 Computers and the Internet in Society :: SPRING 2009
Students participate in collaborative writing through the use of this wiki. Their work on these assignments is published below.
- Computer and information sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Health and medicine
- Star Trek technologies
- Environmental science
- World health
- Green technologies
Week 8. Great Technologies List
- .. your suggestions --initial
"flight, steam power, DVD writer" --M.H.
"Free Email(http://www.zenbe.com/personal/) Free dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/) Freee Learing Technology (http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/infotech/informit/ITLC00.asp)--HK
Free file sharing and storage http://www.4shared.com/?signout=1 --LS Free computer to computer calls http://gizmo5.com/pc/network/free-computer-to-computer-calls/ --LS
http://www.linkedin.com Free social networking --SA
http://www.meetup.com Free new innovative ideas meetings in Silicon Valley --SA
http://www.yelp.com Free guide and reviews on hotels, services, businesses by zip code --SA
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net Free versatile media player. --HW
http://www.inkscape.org Free vector graphics program --HW
http://www.microsoft.com/express Free application developer's software --HW
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ iTunes - The world's best digital music jukebox. - HWL (Ho, Wing Lam)
http://www.w3schools.com/ Free online Web Building tools --AT
http://music.aol.com/ Free music videos and free music downloads available --AT
http://www.imageshack.us Upload images for free. - CY
http://www.youtube.com Watch videos for free. - CY
http://www.learnersdictionary.com e-mails new word every day - SA -Sareetha Amujala
http://crackberry.com/ For blackberry users to get the full experience out of your Blackberry and tons of free tips, downloads, help with your Blackberry device. R.S
http://www.couponcraze.com/ Tons of coupons for many things from hotels, computers, shopping, cell phones, and many more things. R.S Reynaldo Sanchez
http://eharmony.com/ Meet people find your right person and go out on dates. L.G.
http://www.socialjane.com This is a place were you subscribe to eet new friends in your area, shopping buddies, coffee chumbs, tennis friends, just to chat, etc. It's great! L.G.
http://www.pandora.com A great online radio site that plays music based upon what you already like. S.D.
http://www.last.fm A program that records the music you play on your computer and suggests artists that are similar to stuff you enjoy. S.D.
http://www.facebook.com social networking- zl
http://twitter.com/ social networking- zl
http://www.wikipedia.org/ great communal input and research- zl
Week 4. Students' Guide to Group Work
... You will need to create an account and be logged into WikiEducator to edit this page. The "edit" link should appear on the right of the line above. ..vt 2009.01.26
- My opinion for online groups, is that it will only work if all students become responsible and accountable for their part of the assignment. We should create a time were we can all chat about the assignment online. This will be like our meeting we all set up the time within our groups to meet and discuss the project. Tis is the only way the online group can be successful. L.G.
- I would suggest that in order to work successfully with your group you need to set times to check the discussion board online daily so that everyone is up to date with the latest information. To make sure everyone is contributing and to have a group leader to keep track of everything in order to have a successful project. --K.O.
- "I suggest that within our groups, we should create our own deadlines for responses and collaborative work. That way, no group is hindered by students who prefer to wait until the last minute" --- MH
- I suggest that each group needs to make sure everyone is clear on what the assignment is and then make a plan on how to get the assignment done. Many times one person gets stuck doing all the work but if everything is properly deligated at the begining then hopefully it would be more of a group effort. However, I think having a group leader is always a good idea. ~SMP
- I suggest that everyone in the group should split up the work load evenly in the group and participate or it is not a group assignment. -LR
- I suggest that group works helps and it needs to be done by all the group members. Everybody should contribute and then complete the given assignment.Groups memebers should make a plan that how they have to do the projects, and every group member should agree and contribute. HK
- I agree with the timed meetings and daily meetings with your group. Each group member should have mandatory duties in the project and everything they choose to contribute extra will be noted and appreciated. R.S
- I think that when it comes to group work everyone need to be on the same page. By this I mean everyone needs to know what they are doing, what times they are meeting whats do when and most important, the main goal of the project. A.R.
- "I like working in a group but online it is difficult. I suggest that the groups set a time well in advanced so that people with limited time still have a chance to get in touch before the group meets. -W.A.A."
- "I would also suggest smaller groups, because when there are too many people in a group, it is really hard to make time schedules. For example, daily meetings at specific times would be impossible for many of us. However, daily input at any time is possible." - S.C.
- As online class is very disciplinary class, so is the group work. In regular on campus group project, there is specific time and date, however, in online group work, students should be extra active and availability is like 24/7. Every member should participate knowledgeable and actively for a group to succeed in its mission. – S.A
- Group work is only effective if every group member holds themselves accountable to what they have agreed upon.- RG
- I suggest that each group member should be clear about what they should do, and also make sure to have contacts with the rest of the team to discuss the projects. Group projects are hard to do when the team are not together, so meeting might be needed inorder to complete the "group project". T.W.K
- Working in a group envirnoment was actually a lot of fun to me. What I found is that once someone gets the ball rolling, and if someone takes the time to lead the group as a whole you will tend to get participation from everyone.The most important thing though is to state in your post what and who you are addressing it makes reading the post easier to read.-(drc)
- Group work can be very difficult without a structured environment to thrive in. It is important for the facilitator of group work to help set up a list of things to do in order for group work to thrive.. - SD
- Group work only works if everyone cooperates and does their share of the work. Every group member should agree on a specific time to meet online when needed and they have should all have done their work assigned to them before then so that they can actively interact and participate with their group. -CM
- Effective group work requires excellent planning and execution. Groups should meet to collaborate as progress is made in order to ensure that goals are being met in a timely manner and to allow enough time to make any adjustments in the event that someone cannot complete their workload. - HW
- Groupwork involves collaboration. It should usually revolve around a democracy format. - C.Y.
- Group work is most effective when each member of the group is clear about what their responsibilities are. Keeping in contact with other group members is also very crucial. -M.E.
- I believe group work takes some sense of initiative, then the responsibility part will follow. If everyone in the group could at least email each other to get to know each other at least a little bit, people might feel a sense of responsibility to the others. This would also provide individuals with a safety net of sorts for any questions, concerns, or confusion. B.F.
- I believe group work takes some sense of initiative, then the responsibility part will follow. If everyone in the group could at least email each other to get to know each other a little bit, people might feel a sense of responsibility to the others in their group. This would also provide individuals with a safety net of sorts for any questions, concerns, or confusion. B.F.
- I agree with the timed meetings and daily meetings with your group. Each group member should have mandatory duties in the project and everything they choose to contribute extra will be noted and appreciated. R.S.
- * Working in group online is more convenient than working with them in person. It is because most of the reasons of the students who are taking distance-learning-courses are because they do not have time to go to class. As a result, working with group online can save the group mates time for not being show up in some group meetings. Instead, they can all do it online, which is better than having a group meeting without every member's attendance. - W.L.H
- I think working online is not a problem but working in a group can be a problem. Meeting off-line sometimes is not possible since lot of us are located in different locations or the time to meet does not workout. I think online group work can workout if the project is divided into reasonable section and each of us contribute what we were assigned to do. We can then combine our individual work and submit a comprehensive report as part of group submission. Doing a weekly telephone conference will work for me. The group can attend the teleconference to make sure that we are all moving in the direction of completing the group project. - S.A. (Sareetha Amujala)