WHAT IS PARASITOLOGY?
Parasitology is the study of parasites.
Medical parasitology is the study of parasites that cause human infection and diseases.
Now what is a PARASITE?
Parasite is derived from the greek word Parasitos which means 'one who lives at others expense'. In other words parasite is a living organism which receives nourishment and shelter from other organisms where it lives. The organism on which it lives to take shelter and food is called HOST.
A parasite can either be an 'ectoparasite or an endoparasite
|Lives on the surface of the host without penetrating the tissues e.g. Lice, ticks, mites etc.||Lives within the body of the host e.g. Liver fluke, Tapeworm, Entamoeba, Trypanosoma etc.|
Name of some of the parasites and the disease caused by it:
|Leishmania donovani||visceral leishmaniasis, kala azar|
|Trypanosoma cruzi||chagas disease, american sleeping sickness|
|Trypanosoma brucei gambiense||gambian sleeping sickness|
|Fasciola hepatica||fascioliasis, liver rot in sheep|
|Wuchereria bancrofti||filariasis, elephentiasis|
Your Roll No.____________
MIDTERM EXAMINATION 2003-04
APPLIED ZOOLOGY- PARER I
(Biology of Non-Chordata)
Time: 3 Hours
Maximum Marks 50
(Write your Roll. No. on top immediately on receipt of this question paper)
Answer Five question in all. Question No.1 is compulsory
1. (a) Difference between:
i. Protostomia and Deuterostomia
ii. Book gill and Book lung
iii. Fringing reef and Barrier reef
iv. Nereis and Heteronereis MARKS 4
(b) Substitute one word for each of the following:
i. Bilaterally symmetrical larva with long arms (Like an upturned easel)supported by skeleton rods.
ii. Feeding on blood.
iii. Spicules with three axis.
iv. False body cavity. MARKS 2
(c) Give generic names and classify the following upto classes:
i. Venus flower basket
ii. Sea cucumber
iii. Cuttle fish
iv. Portuguese man of war MARKS 2
(d) Give one function for each:
i. Malpighian tubule
iii. Perial setae
iv. Coxal gland
vi. Coanocytes MARKS 3
(e) Name the adults of the following larval forms:
iv. Miracidium MARKS 3
2. Decribe the respiratory organ and mechanism of respiration in cockroach. MARKS 9
3. (a) Explain the sol get theory in amoeba.
(b) Describe the water-vascular system of a sea star. Add a note on its significance in Echinoderms. MARKS 4,5
4. (a) Explain different types of metamorphosis is insects with examples for each.Explain the role of hormones in the development of insects.
(b) With the help of neat-labeled diagrams explain the process of conjugation.Discuss its significance. MARKS 5,4
5. What is excretion? Describe different type of excretory organs you have studied in Annelida. MARKS 9
6. Write short notes on any three
i. Skeleton in sponges
iii. Social life in insects MARKS 3,3,3 iv. Osmoregulation
Your Roll No……………………….. B.Sc. (Hons.) / I-2004 MIDTERM EXAMINATION 2003-04 APPLIED ZOOLOGY- PARER III (Biology of Animal Parasite)
Time: 3 Hours Maximum Marks 50 (Write your Roll. No. on top immediately on receipt of this question paper)
ALL QUESTIONS ARE COMPULSORY
1. (a) Differentiate between i. Cyclopropagative and cyclodevelopmental transmission ii. Metacyst and Oocyst iii. Male and Female Ascaris 3
(b) Name the vector/Intermediate host and the disease caused by each of the following : i. Wuchereria bancrofti
ii. Trypanosoma gambiense iii. Serpent worm 3
(C) Explain the functions of the following :
i. Mehlis gland ii. Gynaecophoric canal iii. Gubernaculum 3
(d) Define the following
i. Paratenic host ii. Schistosomule iii. Pandemic 3
(e) i. Explain the Microfilarial periodicity is Wuchereria banerofti. ii. What will happen if the trophozoite of Entamoeba enters the body of man. 2
2. What is a digenetic life cycle? Explain the life cycle with reference to any one of
the parasites that you have studied. Add a note on the pathogenicity and prophylaxis of the parasite. 9
3. What is the causative agent of Kala Azar. Give a detailed account of the
Morphology, life cycle and prophylaxis of the causative agent. 9
4. (i) Name the different species of parasite that causes malaria in human beings. 1
(ii) How is malaria transmitted from an infected to healthy person. 1 (iii) Explain the sexual phase of life cycle. 6 (iv) What are the probable factors responsible for the development of the parasite in the body of the vector? 1
5. Write short notes on any three: - i. Blister formation in Medina work. 3 ii. Parasitic adaptations in Taenia. 3 iii. Coccidiosis. 3 iv. Entamoeba. 3