Original offering: Intro biology labs
Course held Feb 2011 to May 2011 for high school students who do not attend school.
The following sections include notes describing the labs performed.
Students: Stephanie, Ted, Julian, and Fatimah
Listing of biology labs
- Lab 1: Diffusion and osmosis (Feb 21)
- Lab 2: Investigating the action of 6 enzymes (Feb 28)
- Lab 3: DNA extraction (Mar 7)
Introduction session (Feb 9)
- Background: discuss with students how they are studying biology. Discuss whether students have studied or plan to study the following:
- Cell biology
- Molecular genetics
- Cell reproduction
- Mendelian genetics and mutation
- Population genetics and evolution
- Animal systems and homeostasis
- Pre-read background material and lab procedure
- Organize into two sets of pairs
- Perform lab
- Lab write-up -- discuss report specs (copy for each)
- Feedback on lab report
- Organization: discuss options for communication of meetings, prep work, feedback....email, moodle, google docs
- Dissection - one of the labs we could do could be a fetal pig dissection. Any interest?
- Microscope - I have one, but it will be useful to have another for some labs. Anyone have access to one they could bring?