How to use this space
This conversation was removed from the header because I felt that it was taking away from the readability of the main body of discussions on this talk page.--Jesse Groppi 18:05, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
[Note: I'm not sure where to put this comment: in a new discussion thread, in the talk header or here. I decided here seemed the best option, and have created a little discussion spot. Jesse, I'm fine with using a discussion thread for this kind of feedback if you prefer.]
My vision for the Workgroup namespace is that it is a workspace wherein groups organize themselves. In my vision, the output of the group would rarely be in this space. I think the WikiEducator namespace is a better place for policy and guidelines which impact the entire community. The Workgroup's job is to create and maintain that policy. The Workgroup:WikiEducator_Workgroups is currently collaborating on guidelines to help sort this out.
So, I'm suggesting that this space be used to create a Workgroup charter. One of the outcomes of this workgroup would be a process (collaboratively built based on your proposed process on the talk page) for creating a WikiEducator style guide. That said, one of the key considerations in creating a process for workgroups is that the process facilitates achievement of the desired outcomes rather than undermine it with too much hoop-jumping.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. If you agree, we can get started creating the style guidelines charter based on the current charter template. I'm happy to help.
--Alison Snieckus 19:38, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
- As for organisation of the pages, I've been talking to Wayne and getting more familiar with your processes at WE. If WE prefers the discussion take place in the WikiEducator namespace, that's just fine, I will move it there. I don't worry about where feedback and comments go, and you may be right that they don't really belong in the same place as the discussion of guideline points, but I want to make sure the discussion of the points take place in only one space, as it's rather confusing and inefficient to allow discussion of the same thing to occur in two different places. I like what Wayne has added to the navigation menu, but I think I would personally change it a bit to be this page, an output/discussion page in the WikiEducator space, and an archive of the discussion to be a subpage of it.
- I'm also discussing the workgroup guidelines with Wayne. I'm happy to help test out the ideas of the workgroup, but I think I'm going to insist on straying from them in certain areas. I will be copying over the template shortly, and you may also soon see me lending my voice in the discussion of the workgroup guidelines.
- --Jesse Groppi 20:27, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
- I don't think we have a decision yet on how to handle where the guidelines will live. Where to keep community-wide policy and guidelines is very much in develop in the WE Workgroups group -- I was just sharing my *current* vision. I look forward to your thoughts on how to organize the workgroup process and outputs; please do lend your voice to the discussion of workgroup guidelines.
- I totally agree that for something like collaboratively building a style guide (and maybe for lots of other projects) that the discussion needs to happen all in one place.
- --Alison Snieckus 23:34, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
- I'm alllllmost finished with the charter. --Jesse Groppi 23:36, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
- Done! And reorganised according to suggestions, thus this conversation is moved to here. --Jesse Groppi 00:24, 15 July 2009 (UTC)