Talk:EDSLIONS/weekly discussions/January 16, 2011
Welcome to our First Discussions for 2011 --Victor P. K. Mensah 10:36, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|Assignment 2||6||05:38, 17 January 2011|
|Meeting Adjourned||3||05:29, 17 January 2011|
|Assignment 1||18||05:09, 17 January 2011|
|Welcome||9||04:45, 17 January 2011|
The second assignment is a field study. It’s more involving and is pure group work. The summary of the assignment is to:
Select a project of strategic significance in an organisation of your choice. Project should be of strategic significance – minimum capital value of USD1 million.
- Your chosen project may either be “hard” (eg building a plant) or “soft” (eg doing a merger transaction).
- Evaluation of this chosen project via recommended methods. - We need to compile a 50 page report.
- We will be allocated a lecturer at the SBL to act as our academic mentor. He will guide us in selecting a project of strategic relevance, challenge our assumptions & integrity of data & provide overall guidance.
The points of discussion are:
- Does anyone have a project in mind. Preferably at our places of work.
- Suggestions on work allocation? There are 9 of us in 7 different countries. The project is in one country.
- We need to nominate an assignment leader and assignment secretary.
Last edit: 05:38, 17 January 2011
none at hand.
i think this is the heart beat of the assignment. my suggestion is to ask for the advice of our academic mentor considering the peculiarities of our group
shumi wil have to lead assignment 2 with Victor as the secretary.
I don't think we'll be given a mentor early enough. We may have to make some choices as a group. The critical choice is the project. Once we choose we can ask the mentor later for his advice.
I don't mind leading the project. If it's not in Uganda I'm not too sure how feasible it will be. --Shumimlingo 17:21, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
I dont have a project in mind or at work of strategic importance but i must note that the way the PM team handled the Marketing project (the Salima School for the Blind project)was commendable and involved all of us like Hove's suggestion above. We can learn from that sub-team.
Guys, its getting late and Vic and Hove seem to have dropped out. Lets adjourn the meeting and continue the discussions over e-mail. Shungu and Akachi, thanks for the input. Thanks to Vitor and Hove too. It was a bumpy start but we'll get there.--Shumimlingo 17:24, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
Its been a bumpy start - with slow internet and stuff - but i am sure we will get there.
Last edit: 04:35, 17 January 2011
The fist assignment (Executive Project) seems similar to our previous assignments ie Its a research based assignment. Points of discussion are:
- How do we split the work load of the assignment between the 9 of us? Do we use sub-groups, do we maintain the 2010 sub-groups, can we nominate an assignment leader & secretary who will steer us on the assignment & compile the document.
- Last year we had the challenge of quality checking. Most assignments we not revised & proof tested before handing in. How do we ensure a quality document this time round.
my suggestion is that we revert to our MBL 1 format as well as strictly adhering to our group charter. the format for MBL 2 gave room to several lapses where group members did not participate actively to group assignment. We can see that our had a dismay performance in our MBL 2 assignments.
Valid point, our marks declined seriously last year. This time we only have 1 assignment similar to those of last year. How would we split the work load...into 9 different parts? Would it be feasiblle--Shumimlingo 16:41, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
Sorry guys l am a bit rusty anyway l go for the idea of reverting to MBL1 system it gave us all an opportunity to critically look at the assignment and also had a dash of teamwork in it.--Shungunyoni 16:45, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
Ok guys you points have been taken into account. Without a quorum we can't decide. We will decide on e-mail.
The second point is the selection of an assignment leader. There are 2 assignments, the first assignment which is typical of what we're used to and the second assignment which is the field study. Do you have any suggestion for assignment leader and assignment secretary for Assignment 1--Shumimlingo 16:52, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
I think we need the secretary since wehave the Group Leader such that heresumes the duties of chairman. Just a thought!!!
i nominate Evelyn as asignment leader for assignment 1 and Kago as secretary
Leadership a bit tricky now since some members are waiting for their results. Results will not take that long to come out.or among us are there any volunteers. l am still a bush girl l am reachable today because it is a public holiday here--Shungunyoni 16:57, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
- Ackachi may simply be bluntly right here. I believe that with fewer subjects to handle, an all hands on deck may be better for us.
- What we need is A LOT of time for review of documents and contributions from everybody to allow for more contributions and quality checks - most importantly with referencing too.
Ok.Although iam a bit late i think you would allow to contribute constructively. I think we just need to apportion sub groups and combine the individual sub groups contributions into a formal documents. However as highlighted above we have neglected the quality control part which we need to thoroughly do this time around However i think choosing the chairman and secretary could help us in that there will some sort of co-ordination.
Thanks Hove, this sounds quite practical. If I get you correctly, everyone should contribute to the assignment, but under subgroups. I think this may work and is in line with Akachi's suggestion. Do you have a suggestion for an Assignment leader & secretary for assignment 1--Shumimlingo 16:57, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
Hi lions, happy new year to all. congrats to Shumi for emerging our new group leader. online for the our first meeting of the year.
Compliments of the new year lions and Shumi l salute thank you.--Shungunyoni 16:17, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
how about other members, i guess there are aware of this meeting
welcome all. A Happy New Year.
Appologies from Hove - i just received an SMS from him that his internet is acting up