Principles of management/PMAN101/Assessment
Part A: Business ethics, Culture and Diversity Essay (80 marks, 80%)
Part A of this assessment focuses on the soft skills in management related to diversity, culture and business ethics. For this essay, you are expected to select an authentic example that demonstrates a company, organization or industry's failure to promote diversity, culturally appropriate or ethical behaviour. You can choose something you've seen in the news or choose from one of the following examples:
- A list of corporate scandals
- Uber's sexism issues (the blog post that triggered the investigation)
- The gaming industry's diversity gap
- Silicon Valley's diversity problem
Write an essay that includes the following:
- A title page with important identifying details such as specific title, course name, date, your full name etc.
- An introduction that outlines the purpose and objectives of the essay.
- A paragraph that explains which diversity, culture and business ethics principles you are going to look at.
- Sufficient context to explain the business ethics/culture/diversity issue or misstep you are examining.
- A discussion of linkages between your chosen business ethics/culture/diversity example and relevant theory for managing the issue.
- A paragraph highlighting future management trends in relation to the topic of diversity, culture and business ethics principles.
- A final "Conclusions and Recommendations" section which answers the questions "What could the company or organization have done differently? How would you have handled this situation?"
- A bibliography.
- When preparing this Business ethics, Culture and Diversity essay, you must consult and cite five (5) relevant books, book chapters, or journal articles (at a minimum). These books and journal articles can be sourced online. Remember to look at the ANU e-Press or similar resource, Directory of Open Access Journals or the Bielefeld Academic Search Engine when researching your essay. (For information on finding open access resources, you can consult the OERu course, Digital literacies for online learning.)
- Your essay should be 1250 words maximum and you must use APA referencing style.
- Save your file using formats such as MSWord (.docx) or an open file format such as LibreOffice (.odt). Name your saved file PMAN101assessment_PartA_[your name]_[date].
Part B: Functions, Activities and Roles of Management (20 marks, 20%)
The purpose of Part B of this assessment is to indicate how the functions of management and corresponding managerial roles relate to improving efficiency and effectiveness of an organisation's ability to manage business ethics, culture and diversity. Your answers in Part B should be based on the same issue you reported in Part A above.
The requirements for Part B are as follows:
- Provide a concise description of the four main functions of management in your own words.
- Generate a table with the following column headings:
- Function of management
- Management task or activity
- Dominant management role(s) (and justification)
- For each of the four functions of management:
- List three management tasks or activities associated with the corresponding function of management relating effective management of business ethics, culture and diversity in the organization.
- For each listed task or activity, identify the dominant management role(s) from H. Mintzberg's 10 roles of managers with a brief justification of your choice.
|Function of management||Dominant management task or activity|| Management role(s)|
- Save your file using formats such as MSWord (.docx) or an open file format such as LibreOffice (.odt). Name your saved file PMAN101assessment_PartB_[your name]_[date].
- Submit both saved parts of your assessment for grading.
Once you have submitted your PMAN 101 assessment for grading, consider starting on one of the other two micro courses PMAN 102 or PMAN 103 (if you have not done so already). Remember PMAN 101, PMAN 102 and PMAN 103 together cover a first year university level Principles of Management course of study.