People working around Scott Base, Antarctica
VIDEO's to view - HAVE A LOOK AT TRISHA'S INTERVIEWS WITH TWO SCIENTISTS AND A MECHANIC WHO WORK IN ANTARCTICA AT SCOTT BASE:
- Click here to see a youtube video of a scientist, Simon, working with clams at Scott Base. Simon collects clams from Antarctic waters and brings them back to this lab at Scott base to see how warmer water temperatures affects their burrowing into the sea floor sediment. This is important work in understanding the impact of global warming on these animals and their behaviour.
- Click here to see a youtube video of a scientist, Alex, who studies ice core samples from the sea ice. Alex looks at the crystal formations of the sea ice to understand what is happening to this very important substance. Sea ice around Antarctica has far reaching effects even affecting our huge ocean currents and weather patterns!
- Click here to see a youtube video of a mechanic, Lex, who keeps the Scott Base vehicles working. The vehicles and machinery used in Antarctica have to be specially adapted to work in these extreme cold and windy weather conditions
- Click here to see a youtube video of a student, Abbey, who is down in Antarctica as part of her studies. Abbey has just arrived at Scott Base for the first time and is ready to leave to the Dry Valleys to help with research work on Antarctic ice.
- Click here to see a youtube video of one of the LEARNZ team members, Pete, who explains what they are doing at Scott Base and tells an exciting story of his last visit to Antarctica! The LEARNZ team this year are looking at energy in and around Scott Base and have been visiting the three new wind turbines that are going up behind Scott Base.